Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racer Chris is the man
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Been chasing several issues with my cable linkage for well over a year now. Finally figured out what was wrong. I could never get the driver or "slave" carb throttle shaft to close all the way at idle and still stay synched with the master carb. It was always a compromise of synching it at 3,000 rpms and dealing with it being off-synch at idle, or simply letting it idle high.

I came up with a few modifications of my own which I'll post tomorrow when I have some sunshine to take pics. This included a thinner, more flexible braided cable running to the slave carb as well as an additional helper spring to put more tension on the slave carb. Both fixes helped, but still didn't quite produce the results I wanted.

I had noticed that the slave carb's pulley was always a little offset to where the cable actually lined up. Today I finally added another shim which put the slave pulley in a better line with the cable as it entered the mounting bracket. BOOM, problem solved. Slave carb rotates smooth as silk now and returns to full rest and the synching was much easier. Tested it at both idle and 3k rpms and everything was perfect.

Again, I'll post more pictures tomorrow which will make more sense, but in the meantime, a big thumbs up again to Chris for a simple but well designed product that works well. I'm due to install this setup on a set of Dellortos soon for another member here, so hopefully what I've learned will benefit him and others.
Maltese Falcon
Tangerine/ Chris is producing his race proven products for all of us to dependably utilize on our 914s. We will be using several of his proven products on our 1,100 hp 9148-gtt !
Marty
wndsnd
Tangerine installed their Cable Throttle Linkage Kit on my car over the winter. The car has been transformed.

Not only is the idle dependable, but both carbs pull strong and evenly.

I am running Weber 44 IDF 's choked down on my 1.7. Maybe not the ideal set-up for many, but Chris's team not only got everything tuned, but very drivable. In fact, I am having more fun with this little ride than my past 356's and 911's. When I brought the car to Tangerine it was basically undriveable. It limped into the door with the Hex linkage and carbs racing to a 3000 rpm idle.

Now it runs like a banshee. Strong, tuned, and dependable.

John

I also have Tangerine's hand throttle installed. I highly recommend this for your carb set up as well. It is mounted on the console side and does not interfere with the heater lever or the shift rod. Easily within reach, I can adjust for cold start and warm running on the fly.
jsayre914
agree.gif

Chris is THE MAN

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
Mblizzard
agree.gif

Chris's linkage transformed my car. Even though I planned on going back to FI I purchased the linkage because I was so fed up with the hex bar.
ThePaintedMan
Here's a few pics of the tinkering that I did.

1) The angle at which the slave cable enters the bracket is absolutely essential to making sure there is no added tension keeping the throttle plates from closing. Here you can see that the cable is perfectly lined up with the pulley. I had to add a spacer to get the pulley out far enough to put it in line with the cable (top right of the picture).

Click to view attachment

2) I decided to add a CB Performance Weblink to provide a little extra tension and a "safety" in case the other throttle return spring broke. Check out their website for more info - with Weber carbs you have two carbs which are identical, meaning that one side does not have a return spring on the far end of the carb without the Weblink. You can see it on the left side of the picture below.

Click to view attachment

3) I changed the slave cable out with a throttle cable from a mid-90s Chevy Cavalier. These cables are a little thinner, lighter and more flexible, but have the same cable end as in the Tangerine Racing linkage. This too improved the action of the slave carb.

Click to view attachment

Now it idles as low as I want it to, stays synched and pulls like an SOB. Thanks again Chris!
rhodyguy
Very nice. Got the part number for the gm part? What was the approx thickness of the spacer?
ThePaintedMan
No part number Kevin. I just went stumbling through the local junkyard until I found what I needed. If you guys need them, I can find them for you. I ended up cutting the cable close to the same length, then using a welder to tack the end so it wouldn't get frayed once passing it through the barrel nut. I'm going to send one of my spares to Chris to see what he thinks, as long as he doesn't mind.

The thickness of the spacer I needed was approximately 1/8 inch. It's just a simple throttle shaft end plate which comes with different types of linkage. I have a few of them from various carb projects, so if you need one, let me know. I'll try and take a picture of one when it's light out again.
FourBlades

Nice work George!

I have been wondering how to get that perfect synch at idle as well.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.