Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to buy tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I stopped in the wheel shop today and they will be ready for tires later next week. That means its time to buy some tires. I've got 8x16 front and back and decided to do
205 55 16 front
225 50 16 rear
Tire Rack only gives me two options and I love the look of the Toyo Proxies R888. They are DOT approved, but aren't intended for street use. There's a caution about using shaved ones in wet weather. I'd like to believe I can avoid the rain as the car will only see limited use, but I live in the PNW and we get wet streets on an occasion.

Antone out there have experience with tires of this type?

By the way, my piston are scheduled to ship tomorrow and the engine assembly is finely going to begin
speed metal army
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 20 2014, 10:22 PM) *

I stopped in the wheel shop today and they will be ready for tires later next week. That means its time to buy some tires. I've got 8x16 front and back and decided to do
205 55 16 front
225 50 16 rear
Tire Rack only gives me two options and I love the look of the Toyo Proxies R888. They are DOT approved, but aren't intended for street use. There's a caution about using shaved ones in wet weather. I'd like to believe I can avoid the rain as the car will only see limited use, but I live in the PNW and we get wet streets on an occasion.

By the way, my piston are scheduled to ship tomorrow and the engine assembly is finely going to begin

Yep! Those are cool. aktion035.gif they are pretty slick when cool, so make sure u warm em up... They are almost like plastic when cold!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 20 2014, 09:22 PM) *

205 55 16 front
225 50 16 rear

Look at Dunlop Direzza Star Specs in that size, or go with 225s front and rear....
mittelmotor
You should be fine with the R888s. I've got the Proxes RA1s (205s front, 225s rear, but 15-in. diameter), and the grip is amazing. As others have warned, they're not good in cold temps, but if you avoid driving when it's under, say, 45 degrees F, there should be no issues.

Also, look at Tire Rack's warnings about storageā€¦if the car sits in a garage at 20 degrees F for an extended period of time, the tread can crack.
Evil Older Brother
Billy,

Like the tires from the squareback/superporsche thread. They are 17's and don't know if you can get them in 16. Sumitomo?
messix
I don't think I would chose those for a street car in Washington.

it seems most all comments about those tires state that they need heat in them to stick. that sounds like a track only tire that will see temps over 100* at a min.

it seems like a dangerous tire to depend on for your life in traffic and road conditions up here. rain, cold temps in the am and night just don't seem to match the tire.

go with a good 180-200 tire that is rated well for street use.

I really don't want to read a post that you and the car got wadded up on hwy 18 some day!
PanelBilly
I modified the order and went with Proxies R1R. Still cool looking and some wet weather
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.