Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 suspensions.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
what year 911 front suspensions are direct bolt ins for 914's? up to 89 right?
also, up till 74, the 911's had the same thru the body swaybars as stock 914's.....are the later style swaybars still able to fit a 914 w/ 911 front suspension?

Thanks, just curious cool.gif
Jeroen
The later "under body" swaybars mount to the crossmember
The tabs on the a-arms are different too
But if you get the complete front suspension, it'll bolt right up

cheers,

Jeroen
campbellcj
You will have a better selection of adjustable swaybars if you stick with the thru-body style. Plus, it's less in the way of road hazards.
meursault
what year 911 front suspensions are direct bolt ins for 914's? up to 89 right?

Yeah, but you want to stay away from the pre-69 stuff. It's kind of an archaic setup. The really early cars had no provision for adjustment at the top of the shock.
Jeroen
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 29 2003, 06:40 AM)
You will have a better selection of adjustable swaybars if you stick with the thru-body style. Plus, it's less in the way of road hazards.

Yep, and look how the underbody swaybar mounts and pivots on the a-arm
It's a joke!

cheers,

Jeroen
SirAndy
get a complete late 911 suspension and remove the under-body sway bar, weld new tabs on the A-arms and get a good adjusteable through body sway bar ...

that's what i did wink.gif

86 911 Carrera front (complete, direct bolt in),
then welded new tabs on the Arms and added a Tarett Sway Bar ...

Andy

here's a blurry pic laugh.gif
914werke
If you dont weld just swap the A arms from almost any 914 which already have the u-tabs (let me know I have a set).

Better question is what yr. did the 911 replace the freakin heavy steel crossmember with sexy *light* alum one?
Get THAT one! smlove2.gif
Brad Roberts
They flex. Stick with your steel one. They are also in the way for 23mm Master Cylinders and Hyd. clutch master cylinders.

Can you tell I stick with the steel one ?? ha ha

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 29 2003, 10:38 AM)
They flex. Stick with your steel one. They are also in the way for 23mm Master Cylinders and Hyd. clutch master cylinders.

yepp, when i had the MC changed (back in the days before i knew brad) the shop couldn't get the new MC past the "sexy" aluminum crossmember,
so the just cut out a piece of it to make more space! fighting19.gif
914werke
Oh well, as I only have a 19mm MC and just tried my hand a A-X for the first time last Saturday Im not that concerned with potental Flexi flying.
BTW I sucked! hanged.gif Geoff provided me a cd burn of my classic spin on course, durring that event. Ill have to find a way to post. wink.gif
meursault
If you dont weld just swap the A arms from almost any 914 which already have the u-tabs (let me know I have a set).

Yeah, but you have to keep in mind that 914s had a different torsion bar spline pattern than 911s. You either run the 914 a-arms and crossmember or the 911 a-arms and crossmember. Mix and match doesn't work here.
Brad Roberts
I cant think of any reason why you cant run 911 controls in a 914 crossmember. The cross member has nothing to do with the splines. Just one end of the A arm and the adjuster are splined.

B
anthony
If you stick with the 914 a-arms you loose the advantage of the thicker stock 911 torsion bars.
Brad Roberts
Which are easily replaced for 190$

I buy the struts and install them.

Something else that most people dont factor in:

If you buy the early 5 lug struts..you can reuse your existing shocks...

If you buy late model Carrera struts.. you cannot use your old shocks..you have to buy new Carrera shocks (I think Koni sells an adapter from early to late)

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 29 2003, 04:51 PM)
If you buy late model Carrera struts.. you cannot use your old shocks..you have to buy new Carrera shocks (I think Koni sells an adapter from early to late)

when i said complete i meant complete wink.gif
complete with shocks ...

Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 29 2003, 03:51 PM)
Something else that most people dont factor in:

If you buy the early 5 lug struts..you can reuse your existing shocks...

what is "early" ? mellow.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.