Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Widening Steel Wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete
I have (I think) original, standard steel wheels on my '74. I'm adding flared fenders to the car. I thought I saw these same wheels on a 914 once at a car show where it looked like the lip was cut off and a 2" or so section was welded on to the wheels to make them wider for wider rubber to fill out the flared fenders. Is that an option for me?
mepstein
It's an option. I got a quote one of $200/wheel. Too expensive for a set of heavy steel wheels but that's just my opinion.
Spoke
If you're adding flares you may want to think about converting to 5-lug if you haven't already done so. 5-lug offers many choices of wider 911 wheels.

Now that you have 5-lug suspension, if you budget $200 per wheel, you should be able to buy some nice 7x16 or 8x16 Fuchs.

rgalla9146
[quote name='Spoke' date='Mar 21 2014, 01:31 PM' post='2013891']
If you're adding flares you may want to think about converting to 5-lug if you haven't already done so. 5-lug offers many choices of wider 911 wheels.

Now that you have 5-lug suspension, if you budget $200 per wheel, you should be able to buy some nice 7x16 or 8x16 Fuchs.
[/quot

There is a steel wheel that was fitted to some 70s' VW bugs that was deeper than the same style wheel seen on 914s'of the era. ('74-'75 )
I think the Beetle was known as a Sun Bug, or Gold Bug. dunno, .... probably 2" wider than standard but a real VW part. A pretty sneaky upgrade.
Someone here has got to know more about them.
Go to this site. the Samba
rgalla9146
QUOTE(pete @ Mar 21 2014, 12:41 PM) *

I have (I think) original, standard steel wheels on my '74. I'm adding flared fenders to the car. I thought I saw these same wheels on a 914 once at a car show where it looked like the lip was cut off and a 2" or so section was welded on to the wheels to make them wider for wider rubber to fill out the flared fenders. Is that an option for me?

I put my reply in the wrong place.
See post #4
Cap'n Krusty
The usual way steel wheels are widened is to cut out the center and weld it to the outer section of your choice. An added benefit to this technique is you get a new, un-rusted outer section, ensuring the bead has a good surface on which to seat.

The Cap'n
pete
I was looking for an economical solution for wider tires. It sounds like it would cost about the same (maybe more) then just buying after market wheels.
damesandhotrods
You didn’t specify which flares you were installing, but you might be able to fill them out with any 15x5.5 Beetle rim. The Beetle offset puts the wheel and tire further outboard giving the illusion of a wider wheel.
Hafse
Widened steelies, 4x130, 7X15 front and 8x15 rear! biggrin.gif

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.