Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axel removal help.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
Left side came unbolted like a dream, but all four nuts on the right side are stripped.
I hit them with Liquid Wrench, then tried vice grips and don't get good enough bite and channel locks with same result.

Anyone care to share ideas.

Thanks
iiibdsiil
You can remove the nut on the outside, it's a 30 MM I believe and then take the whole hub out connector thingy out. Then you don't have to work all uncomfortably under the car. The nut I speak of is on the outside, take the wheel off, not sure what it is called.
jet1
I used craftsman nut removers. It took some time to get the remover on to the head of the nut, but it worked.
Joe Bob
Vice Grips WILL work, but you have to position them correctly.......work at at it and try again.....at best they will crack loose and then depending on the angle of the shaft will spin out by hand. That's IF you are talking about the INBOARD CVs.

The outboard CVs are best removed by removing the big catellated nut outboard from the brakes and removing the whole assembly with the CV still attached.

Remember, leave the wheel on, tire on the ground, remove the cotter pin...duh, IPB Image

Use your BIG 3/4 breaker bar, a short extension between the socket and bar, and then slide a pipe cheater bar on the end........set at 9 o'clock, and give it good jump.....depending on the last time it was removed you will here a sharp crack.....

Good Luck....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 10 2005, 09:44 AM)

Use your BIG 3/4 breaker bar, a short extension between the socket and bar, and then slide a pipe cheater bar on the end........set at 9 o'clock, and give it good jump.....depending on the last time it was removed you will here a sharp crack.....

That may work for you with your uhhh.... Ample girth. This doesn't work for us "more svelte" types....

IPB Image
Joe Bob
ha ha...a fat joke....

The longer the lever/cheater bar, the less you have to weigh skinny boy...
ClayPerrine
What's a cheater pipe???? An 1/2 Ingersol-Rand Impact wrench makes short work of the axle bolts.

C'mon Mikey.. you really didn't think I would be able to leave that one alone, did you? IPB Image After all, You set yourself up for it!
Rusty
Or... try a torque multiplier. IPB Image
jwalters
IPB Image I disembowled my roommates chain link fence for one of the top pipes supporting the wire--it is six feet long-I slid it over my 1/2 drive breaker bar, clamped vice grips to the disc and bumped it into the caliper to keep the axle from spinning--then heaved on the end of the bar with all the bravado of a 400 lb russian crack whore until sweat beaded on my forehead..----------------That f$*ker was one tough biatch---

Good luck on yours----------- IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.