Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LPR tomorrow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Heading down with Bill Pickering to run his new 914-6.

Weather might be good!
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 21 2014, 06:21 PM) *

Weather might be good!

Perfect day at the Marina. Got a nice tan (ha, burn actually). We drove Bill's (new) 914-6 in the morning and it has great power (torque is wonderful) with a 3.2, but everything else needs to be sorted. That is unless you want a car that goes from understeer to oversteer or the reverse instantly. blink.gif

And I think the open diff was just a bit to much for the outer CV joint which broke when Bill was driving. That is what we think broke as when you move the car it goes clunk, clunk, clunk with the clutch in or out (car moving). Also the noise sounds like it is coming from the passenger side wheel. Although I guess that could be the output flange gear, but the sound sounds outboard.

Or maybe it's the ring and pinion?

Good news is that we know exactly what needs to be done to the car, suspension wise. It will be very competitive with a few mods that will be coming up. Could be a good class car for Parade.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 23 2014, 08:12 AM) *

Could be a good class car for Parade.

IIRC, a motor swap is a ticket to the Mod class....which are based on engine size only.
It's been a few years since I've read the Parade AX rules tho. Your 914 would a better class competitor, IMO.
koozy
Great to see you guys out there. If there is anything I can do to help with parts and such, just let me know. As I said, I have plenty of spares. Even ring and pinion.
nine14cats
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 23 2014, 08:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 23 2014, 08:12 AM) *

Could be a good class car for Parade.

IIRC, a motor swap is a ticket to the Mod class....which are based on engine size only.
It's been a few years since I've read the Parade AX rules tho. Your 914 would a better class competitor, IMO.

Hi JP,

I'll send you the document on Parade. Right now it looks like I can go to an Improved class "if" I put back in headlights and turn signals. The remainder of the car is compliant as written, even with a 3.2 Carrera motor swap.

I just can't put big enough tires under the fenders with the wheel rules for the Improved class to take advantage of the motor's power. 8 inch rims are the widest I can run. So 245/40/15 Hoosier A6's in back are all I can fit.

Hmmm... blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(koozy @ Mar 24 2014, 03:17 PM) *

Great to see you guys out there. If there is anything I can do to help with parts and such, just let me know. As I said, I have plenty of spares. Even ring and pinion.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the offer! I will take you up on it if needed once we determine the issue. I haven't had time to pull the transaxle yet, but I will do that later this week or early next. Upon further inspection and playing with the car, I believe I did break something in the transaxle.

Bill P.
koozy
Okay. Keeping my fingers crossed for an easy fix.
914_3.0
QUOTE(koozy @ Mar 24 2014, 06:58 PM) *

+1 on that. A pleasure to meet you and Randal. She was looking good in the morning.

Was it just me, or was that section we were launching on a little rough. Maybe it was the angle on that section of pad. Didn't seem to launch as smooth as last time out for me, with a little bit of chatter.

Randal
QUOTE(914_3.0 @ Mar 25 2014, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(koozy @ Mar 24 2014, 06:58 PM) *

+1 on that. A pleasure to meet you and Randal. She was looking good in the morning.

Was it just me, or was that section we were launching on a little rough. Maybe it was the angle on that section of pad. Didn't seem to launch as smooth as last time out for me, with a little bit of chatter.

Hard to tell with Bill's car as it would break the tires loose starting in second! blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.