Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '76s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
So I've come across a 76 914 that's been parked in a field for at least 10 years
(never a good thing). There is also a 72 next to it with rear end damage, most likely only good for parts. The owner is wanting to get rid of them as he has so many vehicles sitting on his property.
The interior on the 76 is all there but is pretty deteriorated as expected. It has typical rust in most the usual places but I haven't taken a thorough look at the hell hole and longs. He also has the 2.0 for the 76 with all the Djet still there. The side shift is supposedly somewhere on his property but he has yet to locate it (tons of parts everywhere).

Basically I'm wondering if a 76 in California is even worth the effort due to smog requirements. Or Is it only good for parts in my situation?
Mike Bellis
You would need to smog it for sure so everything would have to be there and work. Some 76's have a "Non Catalyst" sticker on the door jam. This means no Catalytic Converter. You might get lucky if it was a 49 state model. There may also be a smogable donor motor in 914 World somewhere...

You could fix the early car with 76 parts or find a good roller and use parts from both.
mepstein
10 years in a field - $200, $400 if it has alloy wheels.
colingreene
i have the working air pump if you need to borrow it or anything like that.
7TPorsh
start looking at what else he may have

Maltese Falcon
I can supply you with a new 914 bolt-in cat convertor for about a bill.
You will also need to make sure that the check engine light on the dashboard stays off during your smog check, otherwise they won't even test it. There is a special speedo cable on the '76 which has an intermediate secondary cable connected to it. The 2nd. Cable has a mileage counter box in it...which trips the dash light.
The '76 model is the last of 'em, big bucks if restored right.
Marty
Cap'n Krusty
The EGR and EGR plumbing have to be there and functional. Good luck finding the pipe, which runs from just after the cat to the engine tin on the right side, and from there to the EGR valve.

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 23 2014, 09:14 PM) *

I can supply you with a new 914 bolt-in cat convertor for about a bill.
You will also need to make sure that the check engine light on the dashboard stays off during your smog check, otherwise they won't even test it. There is a special speedo cable on the '76 which has an intermediate secondary cable connected to it. The 2nd. Cable has a mileage counter box in it...which trips the dash light.
The '76 model is the last of 'em, big bucks if restored right.
Marty

That's not a check engine light, it's a mileage counter warning lamp. It no longer has to illuminate, per BAR regs.

The Cap'n
Maltese Falcon
Hammy, I have the egr, egr piping as well if you need just send a PM.
Cap'n, thanks for the info on the MIL (not CEL), and BAR ruling on the dash light, I'll check it out.
Marty
Hammy
The 76 has steelies. Surprisingly, he still has a lot/all of the 76 exhaust and smog equipment, along with the 2.0 itself which he said was freshened up (could mean a million things), though the engine does look in good shape cosmetically with all the FI there.

Due to the condition of the car itself and having been sitting outside in the elements, as I'm sure the critters have taken care of the wiring/electronics, and not to mention I don't know the true extent of the rust on the chassis, this 76 might be best parted out. Build date Oct. 75. I hate cutting up 914's but I may as well salvage what I can from the car until it's too late. I'd have to fix it up and get it running/pass smog just to sell it, right?

The 72 is also fairly complete with Pedrinis, but unfortunately was hit from behind and has rear trunk damage. I'm sure it's fixable by someone skilled in body repair, but again, I don't know the true extent of the rust on the rest of the car so it's likely not worthwhile. I'm sure it's pretty bad. The 1.7 in the 72 looks complete with all the FI still there, a lot of which I could make use of on my '73.

I really wish people didn't store old cars in fields.
cconcepcion
Did you notice vin's by chance?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.