Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center seat belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
So I've seen pictures of an accessory seatbelt for the "seat", (read that armrest) that sits between the seats. Has anybody ever seen a center seat belt .or that "seat" being used as an actual seat? It seems to be about the size of the rear "seat" on my Harley! Has anybody done this??? My youngest son and daughter are actually small enough to use it that way but I was curious as to how "legit" it was to use it as a canter "seat"? Thanks in advance, "Bub"
McMark
I've seen it used, with a lap belt. Early cars only (70-72?) have the reinforcements welded in for the belt.
mepstein
There are threaded holes for the center belt on early cars. The easiest way to get the belts is from the back seat of an older 911. But make sure that whoever rides in the center seat won't take the shift lever to the face in an accident. I thought about putting in a harness bar to use a 4 point harness in the middle but my kids grew up too fast.
914bub
Yeah, lap belt only, that's what I saw on "Jeff" site. Mine is a 72. I just bought an amco console from Garrold, but would delay installation if I could pack my 2 youngest kids around for a while......
dlkawashima
Back in the day, when we were all a little smaller ...

IPB Image

IPB Image
1970 Neun vierzehn
Back in 1976 my wife (5'3"), my 5 yr old daughter and I all went from Cincinnati to Orlando Florida (1000 mi one way) in our 914, utilizing the center seat and belt combination. Three years later, the three of us made the trip to the Reston, Virginia/DC Porsche Club of America Parade in 1979, again in the 914.

You must remember, back then, there were no cell phones, navigation systems, cup holders, infotainment systems to distract drivers. Also, traffic density was not what it is today, and (unbelievably), courteous driving was not uncommon......,and the general mix of traffic consisted of largely smaller vehicles than what are on the road today.

The attached pic shows my 8 year old daughter standing by our 914 at the Reston Parade HQs in 1979
damesandhotrods
I wouldn’t be as concerned about being stopped with a lap belt for the center cushion; I’d be very concerned about the child seat and booster seat issues.
913B
I used a spare/extra non/retractable belt. I basically use it for the lap portion. The shoulder portion of the belt I just wrapped up. I haven't really tried it with any passenger but I am ready when the situation arises. Its a 71 so it had the holes already on the floor board.
SirAndy
The official papers for early cars (German version of your pink-slip) explicitly listed the 914 as a 3-seater.

That was dropped in '72 and the mounting holes for the center seatbelts were omitted from that year forward.
smile.gif
Porsche930dude
Yup I used some random lap belt and just bolted it on each side with the other seat belt latches. I had an old minibike seat that fits perfect snugly pushed back under the back pad and when someone dares to sit there the seat just pulls out however far you want it. Real tight with 3 adults but itll get you there
damesandhotrods
CHP
Jerlle
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Mar 24 2014, 09:47 PM) *

What back seat?
Michael N
I have been using the center seat for the last 9 months or so. On the early cars there is a decal on the engine lid that states that seating is 2+1. With the early non adjustable passenger seat it works fine. I am actually using a later center box with the flip up top on a hinge rather than the cushion that simply sit on the center. Safe....probably not, but certainly is fun not having to leave one of the kids at home.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.