Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Turn signal project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
Since I drive my car year round, snow sleet and salt, I have replaced my turn signal sockets at least 3 times. No matter what I do, salt finds a way into the bucket and one of the contacts always breaks off. dry.gif

NO MORE !!!

I went to Walmart last night and purchased a variety of LED strips and clusters and played around with the idea of a fully LED turn signal, completely sealed and no more sockets to corrode. The finished product came out pretty nice. Of course I couldn't just make it simple, and I had to pimp it out a bit rolleyes.gif

First of all I have the Euro lenses and that allows me to utilize the clear part of the lens with a touch of color. I played around with white and blue strips in various positions using a car battery in my living room. The final design has 2 short strips of white and 2 longer strips of blue for the running lighs. The longer blue strips allow the blue to illuminate the clear part of the lens. Looks pretty cool. Then I used a small cluster of super bright blue at the bottom of the lens for a blinding turn signal. I have the strips in alignment with each other so it looks really good when the lens cover is on. Finally I spliced all my connections, wrapped everything tight, then sealed the back of the bucket with caulk.

A cheap and worry free turn signal LED conversion.

smoke.gif
Joseph
jsayre914
Some pictures of the layout and wiring....
jsayre914
Water tight smile.gif
jsayre914
A picture of the lights on in my living room. WOW
jsayre914
Then installation.....
jsayre914
No more replacing light bulbs biggrin.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif
jsayre914
No comments??

Does it look that bad???????????????????

sad2.gif
effutuo101
cool! I would go to an all clear or all amber lenses. I like the way LED changes the amount of light.
Very cheap to do it this way. you could have gone with Amber, but a small piece of aluminum to divide the light to running and turn into separate segments.
Sleepin
Did you have to run a resistor for the blinkers?
jsayre914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 24 2014, 06:40 PM) *

Did you have to run a resistor for the blinkers?

Nope, benn drivin it all day, everything works as it should.

smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I'd check with your states Dmv. blue lights in the front on the car might be illegal in some states. Ya know, the flashing blue lights of an emergency vehicle.
Spoke
Looks cool. I like the mix of colors and nice installation.

Do these get warm at all? Seems like all I've been doing is fighting heat.
bandjoey
I like! Those strips are cool in that you can cut them to size and their waterproof. I used 2, 18" for the 3rd brake light on the back.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 24 2014, 06:26 PM) *

I'd check with your states Dmv. blue lights in the front on the car might be illegal in some states. Ya know, the flashing blue lights of an emergency vehicle.

I was thinking the same thing...it's illegal to have blue lights on any car that's not a cop car.
jsayre914
Posted some night pictures of the install. If your still interested....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jsayre914
Its really hard to photograph the front of the car at night with HID Headlights lol

evilgrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.