Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Delievery for a 1.8L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
madmax914
I am weighing my fuel options on a 1.8L 2056 motor I'm building. Carbs seem to be the choice on builds like these but I was looking at staying factory FI with a Mega squirt conversion. My question is has anyone done the Mega squirt on an L-jet tronics? And second what's going to give me better throttle response?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
vw505
I have 44 webbers with 32mm vents on my 2056, I've only driven a few time since installing the new motor but I am very happy ith how it runs.
type47
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Mar 24 2014, 09:56 AM) *

... a 1.8L 2056 ... at staying factory FI with a Mega squirt conversion. ...the Mega squirt on an L-jet tronics? ...

Please re-explain your question. To me, there are alot of conflicting facts. Don't mean to offend but this is how I read it.

1) a 2056 is a displacement increase of an engine. A displacement increase using a 2L 71mm stroke crankshaft and 96mm pistons makes a 2056 cc out of "any" case. A 1911 is using 96mm pistons with a 66mm crankshaft that is common to 1.7 and 1.8L's using "any" case.

2) Mega squirt is a digital fuel injection system that would replace the L-Jet (or D-Jet) factory system. Microsquirt, SDS, Haltech and many more are modern digital fuel injection systems.

3) don't know about the throttle response but I bet the best designed one with matched parts will yield the highest hp and torque for best throttle response.
Mark Henry
I think he's asking if you can keep the stock fuel induction system and just use MegaSquirt as the brain. That's what my answer below is based on.

Yes and no. biggrin.gif
You can but you would need to get rid of the flapper, add a TPS from a 90's up car, find a place to take a vac signal from and the L-jet injectors suck for performance.
There's also a couple of sensors to mount.
The 2.0 D-jet (or some other) injectors would work better, the 2.0 D-jet pressure reg is better as well and the L-jet TB is a bit on the small side.

So yes it can be made to work...but....not a simple swap. Then there is also all the work and wiring for installing the MS.

BTW the 2.0 D-jet TB and plenum would be a better choice but that needs some smash.gif as well.
madmax914
I am running a 2.0L 71mm crank and 96mm cylinders. Really what I wanted to know is if I should dump the L-Jet for a D-jet. I was under the impression that the Megasquirt FI is a computer brain that works in conjunction with the stock FI system. I think Mark Henry answered the question.

Thanks guys,
Mblizzard
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Mar 24 2014, 02:09 PM) *

I am running a 2.0L 71mm crank and 96mm cylinders. Really what I wanted to know is if I should dump the L-Jet for a D-jet. I was under the impression that the Megasquirt FI is a computer brain that works in conjunction with the stock FI system. I think Mark Henry answered the question.

Thanks guys,

I am running the D-Jet with some slightly higher flow rate injectors and a slight increase in fuel pressure and I am pretty happy with the way it runs.
messix
what cam are you using?
madmax914
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 24 2014, 04:45 PM) *

what cam are you using?

I'm rebuilding the motor so I need to decide on the fuel delivery so I can cam it accordingly.
jcd914
If it was/is a running 1.8L with functioning L-jet, the simple solution is to cam it mildy and continue to use the L-jet.

L-jet can easily handle a 2056.

The simple solution is often the best solution.

Jim
JamesM
You could do it but the d-jet conversion to megasquirt is a little easier/better given that you can use pretty much all stock parts/sensors (and wiring if you really know what you are doing)

Fuel injectors, intake runners, plenum, throttle body, AAR, and head temp sensor are all you would really re-use from L-jet.

You can leave the air flow meter in place unused if you like in order to use the stock airbox, or ditch it to remove the obstruction and fab up your own air filter. The other thing that L-jet lacks (that d-jet has) is an intake air temp sensor, so you will need to fab up a place to install one of those as well along with all the wiring. TPS is optional but if you want one that will need to be custom as well.

2L injectors are HUGE, good for well over 200HP, so huge that on the earlier low res versions of Megasquirt it was impossible to get a decent idle with them. 1.7s would be a good fit, 1.8s might be getting to small. Best bet might be the later Vanagon injectors as I believe they were high impedance (no resistors needed),around 24lb/hr, have a barb fitting and the better connector (d-jet connectors sort of suck).

I have heard L-jet does work fine with some 2056 builds if the cam is not to crazy, so if your L-jet system is good you may just want to stay with that for cost/ease of install, though I personally always go Megasquirt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.