Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window Cranks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
found some nice chrome ones and thought they would look good in the 914, but i dont know if they or attach the same as the stock and vw ones.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 24 2014, 11:34 AM) *

found some nice chrome ones and thought they would look good in the 914, but i dont know if they or attach the same as the stock and vw ones.

No. They attach with a pin which presses through the side across a groove in the splined shaft of the mechanism, just like early VWs.

The Cap'n
Harpo
Are there any options besides the OE black plastic window cranks

Thanks

David
ice cold
QUOTE(Harpo @ Apr 25 2015, 02:35 PM) *

Are there any options besides the OE black plastic window cranks

Thanks

David

My car has 2 different styles of cranks. The earlier style of cranks are more attractive than the late V.W. Rabbit all plastic ones.

Chris
DRPHIL914
I had been wondering if anyone had tried to fit those chrome ones.
TheCabinetmaker
The three on the bottom are the same as the 914 uses. So I assume the others will fit too. I could go by there on Tuesday and check, but I think Eric would know
Karmann Ghia Window Cranks & Buffers http://www.bughaus.com/karmann46.htm [From ZTE mobile browser]
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, I took another look at that. The others are from the 50's so, like the cap said, no. Just the bottom three.
black73
I know this may be blasphemy to some, but I know for a fact that '66 Mustang window cranks will fit. May need a longer screw. Crank
Harpo
I found this link and ordered a pair of reproductions from SMC. Some modifications required.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=99545

edit: hopefully this link works better
TheCabinetmaker
Hmmm, link goes to forum home page. confused24.gif
Harpo
Sorry, second time is the charm. works now!
VaccaRabite
One thing I did was take the plastic covers off my cranks. The metal, once painted, looks really cool IMO.

Zach
BK911
I need some cranks for my 64C. Interested in selling? White or black knob?
euro911
I picked up a set of 'chromies' (with holes in them) with varnished wooden escutcheons and knobs at a local VW FLAPS called IPC ... (Click here)

They were reasonably inexpensive. IIRC, they also had the same ones with black knobs.

Click to view attachment

Pretty much any cranks that fit the same era VW (bug, bus, etc.) will fit a 914.

EDIT: Yep, they must have black ones … just noticed the Ghia I recently picked up has a pair too … (Click here)

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.