Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Waking the car up after a winters nap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
Getting the car out of a winters nap. Put the battery back in the car, fired right up for me. I noticed that none of my gauges were working at all, tach, fuel, gauges in the center console aren't working either, oil press, volts. Shut the engine down, turn the key and no lights light up on the multi function gauge, oil press, Alt light.

Started the car back up it ran for a little bit and I noticed that the Alt light came on. going to check the volt. reg. I checked all the fuses and all were good. Checked to see if the belt was ok, it seemed fine. What else should I be looking for to solve this problem?
76-914
You have 4 small red wires that connect at the + batt post. 2 of those take 12v to the cabin and 2 go to your relay board. Check that connection as it got moved around when you re-installed the batt. poke.gif How's your lungs doing?
SirAndy
Did you rotate the fuses?
idea.gif
StratPlayer
Yes I rotated the fuses, I thought I had another voltage reg. but I don't, I will check all the wires connected to the battery. Just checked all the wires connected to the battery all seems well. I'm still getting the generator light coming on after the engine starts, none of the gauges are working...ARGH
76-914
icon_bump.gif Maybe one of the guru's will chime in but I think once those dash light start working the Alt will kick in. You verified that both of those wires from the batt have power once inside the cabin?
StratPlayer
icon_bump.gif
ThePaintedMan
I've had a voltage regulator die on me, but if I remember, the gauges were still working.

However, when the #9 (or maybe #10) fuse blew, I lost all the gauges but speedometer of course. Check your fuses again.

I also think it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy another voltage regulator from local FLAPs... if nothing else as a backup. They're fairly cheap.
Tom
The one thing common to all of the functions that are not working is the grounds near the fuse panel. Perhaps over the winter enough corrosion got in there to cause a problem.
Tom
SLITS
You guys forgot the ignition switch ... it can be the culprit (not making contact inside).
StratPlayer
Well it boils down to a process of elimination. Never thought of the ignition switch, its only a coulple years old. New voltage regulator on order.
timothy_nd28
I would pull the tach and combo gauge and check the red/white wires for 12vdc with the ignition on.
StratPlayer
I plan on doing that with the wires behind the gauges. Just got my new voltage reg. and its a hellva lot smaller than the org. one. I bought the one the pelican sells, its tiny compared to the older one.

There are 5 wires coming of the positive side of the battery, 2 of them go the the fuse panel and power up many items. Another goes to the emergency flasher, the other to the ignition switch. The 5th
wire goes to the alternator,,Correct?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.