Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well shoot... MSD help for those "in the know"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Went to wire up my MSD that I purchased from Rob last year finally this past weekend.

I temporarily wired everything like the picture below shows:

Click to view attachment

Unfortunately (and I guess fortunately) nothing happened. The only difference to the diagram is that I have a Compufire pointless module instead of a Pertronix. Did the troubleshooting steps by checking the wiring over several times, still would only crank but not fire. Then did the unplug ignition coil wire test, turn ignition to on, then touch white wire to ground. I did get a spark. Hooked it all up again and cranked but still no fire.

MSD recommends at that point that the unit be sent back to them. Since I bought it second-hand from Rob, I'm going to assume I'm not eligible for warranty repair. So, before I do, is there any collective knowledge that could point me in the right direction? When everything is wired back the way I had it before, it starts right up, so I know the coil (Bosch blue) and module are still working. Maybe MSDs don't work with Compufires?
ConeDodger
I bought it from Summit Racing. MSD has always answered my questions over the phone. They even suggested sending them a unit without asking about receipts or product registration.
ThePaintedMan
Cool. Maybe I should just send it to them for piece of mind - I've heard their customer service is helpful.

In the meantime I didn't fry anything, had only wired it in temporarily and the car still runs, so I'm not too worried about it smile.gif
jim_hoyland
Did you do the "spark" test ?
r_towle
Uniquely out of material today. bootyshake.gif
jcd914
George,
When Rob and I originally installed that unit in his car, he had my 2.0L D-jet engine in there and it was running points.
As best I can remember, we (I) wired it like you have except the small red wire MSD hooked to the black wire that originally powered the coil and the white MSD wire went to the points.

I am not familiar with the Compufire but I don't know why it would not work with the MSD.

The fact that when you do their test and ground the white wire you get spark, it sound like the unit is working.

Do you have a distributor with points & condenser you could use to test with?

Jim
stugray
Did you have the case of the MSD firmly grounded?
ThePaintedMan
Yeah, the spark test was positive - I did have a spark from the cap to coil wire when I grounded the white with the ignition on. So the unit is working.

I do have a spare dizzy and still have a couple of sets of points around, so I could try it the way that Jim mentioned.

The case of MSD unit itself is not grounded as it's mounted on those rubber vibration dampers. Instead I had the large black and large red wires connected to the battery as described in the instructions. Does the case still need to be grounded as well?
watsonrx13
Hey George here's a link to my website showing how I finally got the MSD to work with a dual carbed 2.0l Hope this helps.

http://www.tampabay914.com/4742903058/JUN2006.html

--- Rob
chads74
On my set up there is a ground wire coming out of the MSD box and I have it mounted on the rubber dampers also. So guessing the box itself doesn't need to be grounded.
Mark Henry
Just put your points back in.
Really with a MSD a pertronix (compufire, etc) isn't needed, the points no longer have high voltage going to them and they will never burn out or change from wear. Also our engines don't even rev high enough for point float.

People have a hard time understanding it's just a simple switch, their is no real benefit from a pertronix with a MSD.
jim_hoyland
Is the coil ONLY connected to the MSD ? There should not be any other wires connecting to the coil IIRC
smile.gif
ThePaintedMan
Rob - checked the red and blue wires that should be cut for 4 cylinder operation and they indeed were already by Jim (jcd914) who wired it previously for the other Rob (ConeDodger)

Chad - good to know

Mark - I follow you and understand. The compufire was already installed, so unless I have some sort of success with it removed, I'll probably keep it. So far no more success.

Jim H- Yes, tried it without any other wires connected, including the tach signal wire. No dice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.