Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speed Ventures 4/6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
yeahmag
I'll be out at Streets of Willow with Speed Ventures on 4/6 if anyone is in the area and wants to say hi or join in the fun.

driving.gif

-Aaron
yeahmag
There's at least one other 914 signed up. Anybody here?
Love to go, but most folks will be at Festival of Speed in Fontana
campbellcj
Aaron,

I can't make it this weekend but may go watch the VARA races next door for a while and will try to come over and say hi.

Have you run with Speed Ventures before and if so, how is their organization, safety, car/driver level, etc? I love SOW but POC no longer runs there, at least this year. OTR did one event there recently but then cancelled the rest they'd planned.
I've run with Speed Ventures in the past at SOW....I had folks trying to pass me in the turns. During the download meeting, I brought this up as we are not in a true race event..the lead instructor mentioned that I was going too slow and looked the other way. I only run with NASA now, Speed Ventures way too loose for my liking.
yeahmag
Chris,

I've always admired your car/build. Can't wait to meet in person!

I've only run with Speed Ventures a handful of times and have been reasonably impressed. You get to pick your run group/level which helps keep you away from most of the most of the inexperienced drivers that are there. Most certainly though the caliber of car and driver is lower than POC events. Safety wise it's on par with any organization I've run with.

I've seriously considered running with VARA, but the buy in for safety and classing would kill my entire budget. I'm keeping an eye out for things like fuel cells, fire systems, and cages though. I like the idea anyway... I don't know where or how they would class my bastard of a car though.

I'm going to try running SOW with the Alfa Club sometime soon. I hear it's one of the better clubs to run that circuit with.

I'll PM you my cell phone number so we can hook up if you make it out.

-Aaron
slivel
I'll be next door running with VARA for the first time. Black 914 #58.
campbellcj
Thanks for the inputs! I will probably have my "photographer hat" on this weekend, one day at VARA+SpeedVentures at WSIR and the other day at the FoS in Fontana. I'll definitely aim to get shots of any and all 914's I see and will relay any good ones to you.

I have never driven with VARA yet but am checking it out and have been in contact with some officers and members. My car is eligible and already more-or-less prepped per their rules; would most likely be classed in GTU and I have no idea whether I'd be competitive. I'm not competitive in my POC class either so nothing new there, and it's still fun regardless.
yeahmag
So, I'll be at SOW on Sunday, not Saturday FWIW.
slivel
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 3 2014, 10:49 AM) *

Thanks for the inputs! I will probably have my "photographer hat" on this weekend, one day at VARA+SpeedVentures at WSIR and the other day at the FoS in Fontana. I'll definitely aim to get shots of any and all 914's I see and will relay any good ones to you.

I have never driven with VARA yet but am checking it out and have been in contact with some officers and members. My car is eligible and already more-or-less prepped per their rules; would most likely be classed in GTU and I have no idea whether I'd be competitive. I'm not competitive in my POC class either so nothing new there, and it's still fun regardless.

I am placed in GTU along with 2 Datsun 240Z's, 2 911's and another 914. Entire race group is 33 cars if everyone shows up. Interesting mix: 7 Corvettes, 3 Cobras, 5 Camaros, Sunbeam Tiger, 4 Datsun 240Z's, Ginetta, Jaguar, 4 911's, 2 914's, Mazda Miata, BMW M3, Lotus, and 2 WSR spec racers.

Modified 914's are not generally very competitive according to POC rules for V and old Race classes, but the newer GT formula may work better using power to weight. I just haven't gone down that road yet.
campbellcj
QUOTE(slivel @ Apr 4 2014, 10:08 AM) *

I am placed in GTU along with 2 Datsun 240Z's, 2 911's and another 914. Entire race group is 33 cars if everyone shows up. Interesting mix: 7 Corvettes, 3 Cobras, 5 Camaros, Sunbeam Tiger, 4 Datsun 240Z's, Ginetta, Jaguar, 4 911's, 2 914's, Mazda Miata, BMW M3, Lotus, and 2 WSR spec racers.

Modified 914's are not generally very competitive according to POC rules for V and old Race classes, but the newer GT formula may work better using power to weight. I just haven't gone down that road yet.

Thanks Steve! GTU sounds like the place for me with VARA. I suspect our cars' performance is pretty similar (and your driving is probably a helluva lot better.) With POC I am now in V1 which is a joke in terms of the 911's I would be up against...except that there basically aren't any left. So many folks have moved to GT already or gone to the newer water pumpers in GTC, BSR/BSX etc. Almost certainly I will re-class into GT-something and probably won't be competitive there either but should be much closer.

Look forward to hopefully seeing you out there this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.