Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUMP! Chrome, Black or Painted? Early or Later? Tits or No Tits? Show Us Them!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
I prefer the early style bumpers, particularly in chrome. I think the black bumpers make the front too blunt. The chrome sets off nice definition for the front of the car.

I also like painted bumpers that are a nice contrast from the body color. For example, I like the contrast of the Phoenix Red on Light Ivory on my LE, especially with matching color wheels. It really makes the car pop. After all, it was the '70's! FUN-KAY! piratenanner.gif

I like the bumperettes on the front and the rear ('74) and just the front ('73) and none at all (pre-'73). For me I prefer what's period correct.

Tell us what you prefer - chrome, black, painted, later style or early style, bumper tits or not - then show them to us! driving.gif

Here's the rear, my dear. Ass bootyshake.gif

Click to view attachment

icon_bump.gif

tumamilhem
I also don't mind the later front bumper, provided it's on a darker color. If the color is too light as I think it makes the car look too blunt in the front. I think it gives a nice curvature and sleek and elongated sloped line to the front. Kind of reminds me of Ferraris of the era.

Click to view attachment

effutuo101
It really depends on the color!
I love matched painted bumpers on some colors, but chrome on others. No tits.
JawjaPorsche
Chrome is the way to go if your 914 has it. I kept my front tits because I like to keep my teener looking original as possible. Okay, I have a badge. Don't hate on me! biggrin.gif
tumamilhem
I agree. Chrome sets off the car very nicely, especially since it came in soooooo many crazy colors. It gives darker colored cars more contrast and makes brighter colored cars a nice accent of more brightness.

I'm with you on the OG. And even though I don't have my LE badged, I like the badge on it. Especially when proportionately placed (some place it way too high or low. Yours is just right, mid-height with the headlights).
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 25 2014, 02:20 PM) *

I agree. Chrome sets off the car very nicely, especially since it came in soooooo many crazy colors. It gives darker colored cars more contrast and makes brighter colored cars a nice accent of more brightness.

I'm with you on the OG. And even though I don't have my LE badged, I like the badge on it. Especially when proportionately placed (some place it way too high or low. Yours is just right, mid-height with the headlights).

Thanks for the kind words. Hope to see your LE at Okteenerfest in September. A Creamsicle won best of show last fall.

Terry
dlkawashima
Body colored bumpers look good too ...

Click to view attachment
Sleepin
75-76 Cali tits on a chrome bumper....

IPB Image
dlkawashima
Black bumpers look good too.

IPB Image
dlkawashima
916 style bumpers look great too ...

IPB Image

IPB Image
tumamilhem
Black bumpers definitely look best on black cars.

That orange body colored bumper looks nice. I would even do bkack grills on it possibly.

Yeah I like the 916 bumpers too. Nice looking car.

What engines are you guys running? Just curious.
Andyrew
916 f/r. I like the matte black contrast to the orange.. I dont think theres another color combo that would look as menacing and nice at the same time..

IPB Image

IPB Image

That rear reminds me I need to take some new pics of my car with my good camera..
dlkawashima
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 25 2014, 09:00 PM) *

Black bumpers definitely look best on black cars.

Black bumpers look great on light colored cars too ...

IPB Image

IPB Image
dlkawashima
I even like BUBBs (big ugly black bumpers)

IPB Image

IPB Image
KELTY360
Body color bumpers enhance the simplicity of the 914, while emphasizing body lines at the front and rear. The black bumpers of 1973-74 diminish these lines, making them virtually disappear. I think Porsche implemented them as a cost saving measure, not aesthetics. Body color bumpers also unify the overall shape, adding length and definition.

I don't like the tits, especially at the rear. They are functionally useless for protection anyway. Chrome bumpers are OK and add a little bling if that's what you like. The BUBs of 75-76 were strictly a government requirement and add weight and bulk. I actually like the front treatment, but the rears are just butt ugly IMHO.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlkawashima
Hell, I like 'em all, obviously. Here are a few more ...

Body colored bumper in reverse treatment
Click to view attachment

Widebody with 916 bumper
IPB Image

Godzilla Bee treatment (okay, maybe not this one)
IPB Image
dlkawashima
Body colored bumpers photograph particularly well, especially if well maintained
IPB Image

This one is severely monochromatic, almost as if it's mimicking the 993 in the background
IPB Image
jrrhdmust
Chrome - no bumperets...
tumamilhem
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 26 2014, 01:32 AM) *

Body color bumpers enhance the simplicity of the 914, while emphasizing body lines at the front and rear. The black bumpers of 1973-74 diminish these lines, making them virtually disappear. I think Porsche implemented them as a cost saving measure, not aesthetics. Body color bumpers also unify the overall shape, adding length and definition.

I don't like the tits, especially at the rear. They are functionally useless for protection anyway. Chrome bumpers are OK and add a little bling if that's what you like. The BUBs of 75-76 were strictly a government requirement and add weight and bulk. I actually like the front treatment, but the rears are just butt ugly IMHO.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Yeah, I do like the '75 front bumpers. But they HAVE to have the fogs in them. They look stupid without them because the cutouts for the lights remain. If they weren't there, they would look fine without the figs too. And yeah, the could have done a better design on the rear. Don't care for that monstrous protrusion either. Better on a dark colored car to help blend it in since there is no flow of lines.

And I do really like the body colored bumpers, especially if the grills are black. Nice subtle contrast to the color of the bumper while remaining constant with the black bumper top.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 26 2014, 02:58 AM) *

Body colored bumpers photograph particularly well, especially if well maintained
IPB Image

This one is severely monochromatic, almost as if it's mimicking the 993 in the background
IPB Image

See, that's exactly what I mean. Nice for both chrome and body coloured.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 26 2014, 02:34 AM) *

Hell, I like 'em all, obviously. Here are a few more ...

Body colored bumper in reverse treatment
Click to view attachment

Widebody with 916 bumper
IPB Image

Godzilla Bee treatment (okay, maybe not this one)
IPB Image

Pic 1: Interesting.

Pic 2: Very nice. But would use black surrounds.

Pic 3: Actually, the first slant nose treatment to a 914 that looks good. Otherwise, all the other conversions I've seen ruin the looks of the 914. This one actually looks good. It's definitely the front bumper extension and the glack accent lines give it a nice elongated sloped look. Tastefully done.
eyesright
Can you tell I like painted bumpers and naked sails?
boxsterfan
I'm voting for chrome bumpers, no tits an every year. Rocker panels body color is a good option.
Johny Blackstain
916 bumpers, front & rear, because...
a: I like the look, b: Porsche probably put the most aerondynamic r&d into those & c: they're light weight.
rjames
Body color or black or chrome can all look fantastic, depending on how the rest of the car is configured. If the chrome trim around the windows and sails is all blacked out, go for black or body color bumpers. I'm not a fan of the rockers being anything other than black though as I think it makes the car look less 'sleek'.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 26 2014, 03:30 PM) *

Body color or black or chrome can all look fantastic, depending on how the rest of the car is configured. If the chrome trim around the windows and sails is all blacked out, go for black or body color bumpers. I'm not a fan of the rockers being anything other than black though as I think it makes the car look less 'sleek'.

I agree with you about the rockers. The lines are more constant horizontally if the rockers are black. Otherwise, the middle of the car body is obviously lower than the front and back on both sides of the wheels. Keeping the body color above the rocker keeps the color flow nicer and sleeker. The only exception would be the addition of body colored spoilers so then the body color continues beyond he wheels.

And I also and not a fan of the vinyl covered sails. It looks much better without, in my opinion.
type47
fiberglass for weight savings
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
not a fan of 916 bumpers
flipb
My '74 still has the original front & rear tits.

Shortly after I bought it, I was backing into a parking space in a parking garage and gently bumped the back wall. Didn't realize just how long the rear trunk is. But I'm very glad I had the rear tits -- pretty gentle hit with no damage.

Tits FTW! http://www.booobytrap.com (NSFW, but wonderfully entertaining)
Steve
I am also torn between Black GT bumpers on my GT clone versus Chrome bumpers. What's the consensus?

Click to view attachment

or

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 30 2014, 08:33 PM) *

I am also torn between Black GT bumpers on my GT clone versus Chrome bumpers. What's the consensus?

Click to view attachment

or

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Depends on what your car has now. I like the chrome bumpers on the second car because it has so much shininess already & goes well w/ those chrome rims... (and I hate chrome biggrin.gif )
Steve
Too funny. My car is the first car with the Black GT bumpers. My rims are not chrome. They are Fikse FM10's. It's now a street car, so I thought the chrome bumpers would make it look more stock.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 30 2014, 04:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

or

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I'd compromise between black and chrome and paint them silver. I've always wanted to see a silver car with body color bumpers.
Steve
Somewhere there is a picture of a silver 916. I think it's too much silver.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 30 2014, 07:39 PM) *

Somewhere there is a picture of a silver 916. I think it's too much silver.

But the 916 doesn't have the black bumper top or black air dam. If you just had silver where the chrome would be you'd get a nice contrast and give nice definition to the ends of the the body.
tumamilhem
Chrome. Just my opinion, but it looks like too much black in a large vertical space masking the front of the car. Maybe chrome bumper and body paint spoiler.
sofi2t81
I had black with tits, now I have chrome. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
QUOTE(sofi2t81 @ Apr 1 2014, 07:15 AM) *

I had black with tits, now I have chrome. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Chrome is MUCH better on yellow! piratenanner.gif It enhances the brightness of the color. Black gives yellow a nice contrast, but the black bumper is too much black in one place. More subtle details that stand out would be like applying the black PORSCHE positive side stripe. But yeah, nice job on switching to chrome. I think all the brighter colors look much better with chrome than black because it's too much black in one area on them. On darker colored cars, black would look fine, though I would still prefer chrome or body colored bumpers then.
struckn
IPB Image[/URL]http://[/img]

Love Chrome but like the Black which blends nicely with the Rockers and Targa Top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.