Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally Almost Ready
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
Guys, 1975 / 2.0L

We started the final motor rebuild in September. This was necessary due to some unexpected discoveries when we first tried to mount and start the motor - Aug. 2013

Long story, but the motor came with the car - totally cleaned. All the tins had been powder coated, motor was steamed clean, new fly wheel, etc. AND it looked solid.

I scrapped the stock heat exchangers and bought a new SS set for an earlier model. (back dated) I was mounting the exhaust - I saw a valve guide that had fallen down.

Even though the motor "looked" good, once I saw the floating guide, I did not want to run the risk of running into other unwanted news.

So I pulled the heads off to find them both "cracked". Well now that I need to do a top end, may as well crack the case and do the whole motor.

Good thing I did. The main crank actually had rust on it and needed to be turned. It seems that at some point water had managed to get into the motor and cause all sorts of issues. Like thick sludge build up in all the channels, etc.

I don't know if the water got in from the steaming - or if it was something that happened prior.

In any event, newly rebuilt heads, valves, etc. and all new seals, turned crank and here she sits.

With luck, we may be on the road before the month is out. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
Pretty....

John
ThePaintedMan
Congrats Len! Hope to be able to come over and help you out.

I also hope that your previous owner is reading this and feeling a little guilty.
Cap'n Krusty
Looks pretty nice, but why is the fuel pressure regulator mounted on that home made bracket when the original bracket is right there below it?

The Cap'n
lsintampa
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 25 2014, 10:10 PM) *

Looks pretty nice, but why is the fuel pressure regulator mounted on that home made bracket when the original bracket is right there below it?

The Cap'n

Ya know, I don't have a clue. Came with. (actually we did that on purpose to see if anyone would notice - or care)

shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.