Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ECU
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Not sure how to ask it, but is it possible on a ECU, like a home computer to reload the program, as sometimes solves a problem?
Qarl
QUOTE(partwerks @ Mar 25 2014, 09:56 PM) *

Not sure how to ask it, but is it possible on a ECU, like a home computer to reload the program, as sometimes solves a problem?

Nope. There is no" code".

It's a very basic computer made with resistors and very basic electronic components. I don't even think there is any integrated circuits in them

Cap'n Krusty
...............and they almost never fail, unless they get fulla water.

The Cap'n
partwerks
Not that there is a problem in it, but if there was, could there be an low idle issue within it?
76-914
Low idle after warm, after hi way run, all the time??
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ Mar 25 2014, 07:12 PM) *

Not that there is a problem in it, but if there was, could there be an low idle issue within it?

It is possible for the capacitors to dry up over time effecting driveability. The 914 ECU is the very basic design carried over from the 1960's. The technology required to program a chip this old is extinct. You can always try a borrowed ECU and see if your issue goes away.
partwerks
2004 wrx.

Varies.

Not sure what is causing it.

Replaced:

IACV
TPS
MAP sensor
MAF sensor

Eliminated purge control valve, and capped it off.

About a 1.5 years ago, there had been a wire that was shorting out that went to the map sensor, red wire. Took about 2 months to find out what was causing it. Seems like before that time, I never had any issues with it. This is the only strange thing. unstable idle. Otherwise runs fine.
Mike Bellis
2004? Most likely not the ECU. Keep looking. Might be just a vacuum leak.

But, now the answer to the first problem is yes. You can re-flash the ECU. Your local dealer may be able to do it.
partwerks
I have the Cobb Port, and have it on stage 2, or would it be a good idea to flash it back to stock and back to stage 2 again??

I've sprayed all around with carb spray, and don't find any changes in idle.

Don't know, but have been told that sometimes the Coolant sensor can be fickle, and plan on putting in a new one also.
Mike Bellis
You can test most sensors before changing them. Info is available on the web. Modern ECU can act like one symptom and be a totally different problem.

I had an issue on my turbo motor that felt like a lack of fuel. Turned out to be a bad coil so the ECU cut the fuel... dry.gif
A new set of coils was all it took beer.gif More better ones...

I had a limp mode problem. tracked it down to an intermittent connection on the temp sensor.

Keep looking
partwerks
I'm going over all the electrical connectors and making sure of good contact.

Last spring I replaced the old ground strap, and made a world of difference.

Cap'n Krusty
Yet another GLARING example of eliciting responses to a question without giving a shred of pertinent information. Not a SHRED! Several of us took time out of our day to lend you assistance in solving your problem on this 914 centered forum, only to find that time TOTALLY wasted. Why don't you pull the codes, analyze the results, and replace the bad components? Stop throwing money at it! A 2004 vehicle is AMAZINGLY self diagnostic, right down to the exact time the code was recorded, and the circumstances surrounding the failure. We call it "freeze frame". If you've modded away that ability, it's your own fault.

Ask me how I really feel ...................................

I trust this will be your last turn in the barrel.

The Cap'n
timothy_nd28
agree.gif

I almost asked that very question early on, but decided against it. I assumed it was a 914 ECU and figured that I would be flamed for asking such questions
Andyrew
Send the ECU to Cobb.. They should diagnose it for free. Expect to pay shipping and be out the ecu for 2 weeks..

APR Tuning had an issue with bad chips and repaired mine for free when I was having an issue.
partwerks
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 25 2014, 09:17 PM) *

Send the ECU to Cobb.. They should diagnose it for free. Expect to pay shipping and be out the ecu for 2 weeks..

APR Tuning had an issue with bad chips and repaired mine for free when I was having an issue.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get in touch with Ian, at Cobb Port to verify.
larryM
X2 headbang.gif

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 25 2014, 08:58 PM) *

Yet another GLARING example of eliciting responses to a question without giving a shred of pertinent information. Not a SHRED! Several of us took time out of our day to lend you assistance in solving your problem on this 914 centered forum, only to find that time TOTALLY wasted. Why don't you pull the codes, analyze the results, and replace the bad components? Stop throwing money at it! A 2004 vehicle is AMAZINGLY self diagnostic, right down to the exact time the code was recorded, and the circumstances surrounding the failure. We call it "freeze frame". If you've modded away that ability, it's your own fault.

The Cap'n

Qarl
QUOTE(larryM @ Mar 26 2014, 01:15 PM) *

X2 headbang.gif

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 25 2014, 08:58 PM) *

The Cap'n

I was confused after a while. Saw question on a Porsche 914 forum about an ECU... started giving answers... and then saw replies about cobb ports and WRX and I was like WTF?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.