Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 bumperette "reduction"???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I put chrome '74 bumpers on my '73 car over the weekend, I like the "no bumperette": look, however the bumpers are tweaked right behind the bumperettes and I don't think they can be pounded out and still look decent

upon looking at the bumpers, i think a good comprimise would be smaller bumperettes...maybe something that would be flush with the top rubber pad.....

the biggest challange will be to keep the surface of bumperettes looking decent once the material was cut off.....any ideas on how to make the new surface look okay and how to remove the saw marks in the rubber?
GWN7
If the bumper is tweeked, you can try pressing it back. Put soft pine board on the good side and a harder piece of wood on the press side. I did this to the bumper on my motor home and it turned out ok.

As to the bumperettes....I could cast a mold of just the portion you wanted and insert new mounting bolts in it........
Mueller
I'd be interested in new ones made shorter...not too sure if they would be interchangable from the front and rear or not......I do know that they are totally different side to side....

I did an okay job straightening the bumpers out, but they are not perfect and the bumperettes do a good job of covering up the area...
BIGKAT_83
I just removed the small bumperettes from a set of 76 big bumpers, and plan to use these on a set of early chrome bumpers instead of the larger bumperettes.
neo914-6
Mike,
I have been mulling this over too. Have you looked at adapting Boxster or 9xx bumperettes? They may just be a cap over a shock but the shapes are nice.
URY914
I believe this is called "breast augmentation" in the medical field. IPB Image
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 10 2005, 02:10 PM)
I believe this is called "breast augmentation" in the medical field. IPB Image

I think that you have that backward.. This would be "breast recuction".

Leave it to Mueller to want to reduce the size of a breast..... IPB Image
Root_Werks
Couldn't you use the little ones you see on some 928's? Or even 993's? IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 10 2005, 12:49 PM)
I just removed the small bumperettes from a set of 76 big bumpers, and plan to use these on a set of early chrome bumpers instead of the larger bumperettes.

elliot cannon has these on a 73/74 bumper! IPB Image
Mueller
elliot cannon has these on a 73/74 bumper!

show us a picture numbnutz IPB Image
ClayPerrine
IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 10 2005, 02:27 PM)
elliot cannon has these on a 73/74 bumper!

show us a picture numbnutz IPB Image

am i elliot cannon? didnt think so .... numbnutz IPB Image
John
Where were you guys when I asked about backdating my bumpers?

This is good stuff, however, now you are making me want to see bumperette reduction to decide if I should keep my 74 bumpers or go with the bumperetteless early bumpers.....

I guess I'll wait and see if someone decides to make reduced bumperettes for the 74 bumpers....

In the mean time, I like the look of the clean bumpers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.