Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aluminum Brembo Brake Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcd914
A couple weeks ago I bought a beautiful set of Aluminum Brembo brake calipers from tomeric914. (Thanks!!) These are the "Bolt on Upgrade" calipers that fit the early 911 struts with 3" caliper bolt spacing and had been recently restored by PMB.
So last week I am in the break room getting coffee and start talking with a co-worker, he sit 2 cubicles away from me but we seldom talk. Out of the blue he brings up some Aluminum Brembo calipers he got from Pick N Pull for one of his BMWs. Turns out these are the same model Brembo calipers I just got, literally 2 days earlier.
So turns out he has had these several months or longer and is doing some spring cleaning.
I now own 2 pair of these Brembo calipers, 1 pair recently restored and 1 pair dirty & grimy with old worn pads in them. smile.gif

A couple differences, power coated or painted flat black and the Brembo name is on the inside caliper halve instead of the outer halve. Other than that these are the same.

Who would have thought confused24.gif

Jim

Polished Caliper from tomeric914:
Click to view attachment

One of each side by side:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Two different "Brembo" markings:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
lonewolfe
So what are you doing with the extra pair? Do you have more than one 914?
Eric_Shea
Early vs. Late

That's the way they originally come. "Anodized" black.
JStroud
Nice score, we need to talk...what BMW...I want some.

Jeff
jcd914
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Mar 26 2014, 02:21 AM) *

So what are you doing with the extra pair? Do you have more than one 914?

Don't know yet what I will do with these.
I own four 914s but only 1 is anywhere near drive-able.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 26 2014, 05:50 AM) *

Early vs. Late

That's the way they originally come. "Anodized" black.

So which are early and which are late?

Will the Black clean up well?

QUOTE(JStroud @ Mar 26 2014, 07:28 AM) *

Nice score, we need to talk...what BMW...I want some.

Jeff

I don't recall what BMW he was getting them for but he was after them because they were a "bolt-on" upgrade, his plans changed. He, like many of the people I work with, is into old cars and does most of his own work. I think he once worked for a BMW dealership.

Jeff, I heard Mark dropped off my 73 914 at your place, is it inthe way?

Jim

69telecaster
Safe to assume the camera date is "off" a little... laugh.gif
I'd be interested to know which model(s) of BMW these are from, too.

c
JStroud
Cars fine Jim, covered with a tarp.
Ask your co worker what car he pulled them from.

Jeff
jcd914
Sorry if I confused things.

These didn't come off a BMW, he got them to put on a BMW (as an upgrade).

These are an Alfa Romeo caliper.

Jim

69telecaster
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 26 2014, 11:34 AM) *

Jim

Probably a little harder to find than a Bimmer. sad.gif
What do you do for the rear calipers? Stock?
69telecaster

Jim

Oops...sorry.
SLITS
Don't remember the years, but they are Alfa GTA or GTZ as I remember.
jcd914
QUOTE(69telecaster @ Mar 26 2014, 11:18 AM) *

Jim

If I can come up with the money, I want to put a set of PMB's "Vintage" rear calipers on.
Aluminum rear caliper to match the aluminum fronts and equivilant of the 914/6 rear caliper, e-brake and all. smile.gif
Until then I will use stock.

Jim

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 26 2014, 09:34 AM) *

Jim

Might be a lead...try
Centerlinealfa.com
in Lafayette Colorado , or

Internationalautoparts.com
in Charlottesville, Va.
Marty
bdstone914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 26 2014, 12:57 PM) *

They are noton those early Alfa's. They are on 1985-1986 GTV-6. Also on the car that replaced it in 1987. Milano ?

The only BMW I know they might fit on is a 1978 320i. They had vented rotors. After that they had solid rotors. You could remove the spacers from the Alfa calipers and use them on the 79-83 320i. Not sure it is any upgrade other than lighter.

Bruce
nsr-jamie
Upgrading to these calipers on a 914...would it be a noticeable difference in braking performance...or is it just a little bragging rights and you save some weight a bit....however it would be offsprung weight right? so it would slightly improve handling as well....eventually I want to make this upgrade from PMB too with my 911T front end on my car (I have the 3inch spacing calipers)
computers4kids
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 26 2014, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 26 2014, 12:57 PM) *

They are noton those early Alfa's. They are on 1985-1986 GTV-6. Also on the car that replaced it in 1987. Milano ?

The only BMW I know they might fit on is a 1978 320i. They had vented rotors. After that they had solid rotors. You could remove the spacers from the Alfa calipers and use them on the 79-83 320i. Not sure it is any upgrade other than lighter.

Bruce

agree.gif I put a set on my car a couple of years ago. You can pickup a set fairly cheap if you can find a set. Eric was buying cores off the Alfa site. IPB Image
jcd914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Mar 26 2014, 08:49 PM) *

Upgrading to these calipers on a 914...would it be a noticeable difference in braking performance...or is it just a little bragging rights and you save some weight a bit....however it would be offsprung weight right? so it would slightly improve handling as well....eventually I want to make this upgrade from PMB too with my 911T front end on my car (I have the 3inch spacing calipers)

Compared to the 911 M calipers these Brembo's have bigger pads and weigh 4 pounds less each, I think that will make noticeable difference.
And compared to 914 calipers these Brembo's have bigger pistons and bigger pads.
I don't know the weight difference but they will be lighter.

Four pounds of un-sprung weight per side should make a significant difference to teh front suspension.

Bragging rights are good too smile.gif

Jim
mepstein
I don't think there is much savings buying a core vs buying already done from Eric. I think there's a fair amount of labor that goes into restoring these.
ConeDodger
Mine are still beautiful to this day. They are one of the first sets Eric did and those doggone R4S pads seem to last forever! biggrin.gif
nsr-jamie
When the time comes I will be getting a set from Eric too for my 911T front struts...right now nothing wrong with my front brakes...but I am going to be adding a Tangerine Racing exhaust and upgrading to 44Webers so might be a good idea to have some extra braking, not to mention they are lighter and look so pretty...Eric does really great work and attention to details is excellent plus he is easy to talk to and always answers any silly questions I have.
lonewolfe
Are these calipers for solid or vented rotors? They look kind of narrow in the pictures.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Mar 28 2014, 08:35 AM) *

Are these calipers for solid or vented rotors? They look kind of narrow in the pictures.

Vented, stock 914/6, 911T rotor, they are wider than they look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.