Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff74
I recently was given a 1974 914 when my father in law passed away. I'm not really sure what I have. By researching the vin #4742908879 and motor code EC005-4 I determined it is a 1974 w/1.8 motor. The paint code is L99A but is now painted white. I'm trying to understand if it's worth a long term project? I have not had a chance to really go through the car yet. An information or opinions (oh Boy) will be appreciated.
Qarl
QUOTE(Jeff74 @ Mar 26 2014, 07:32 PM) *

I recently was given a 1974 914 when my father in law passed away. I'm not really sure what I have. By researching the vin #4742908879 and motor code EC005-4 I determined it is a 1974 w/1.8 motor. The paint code is L99A but is now painted white. I'm trying to understand if it's worth a long term project? I have not had a chance to really go through the car yet. An information or opinions (oh Boy) will be appreciated.

Pictures would be helpful.

We can tell a lot by looking in the trunks, floor pan, under the batter, underneath, engine compartment, exterior as a whole, etc.

This is like emailing a jeweler for an appraisal of your mother's diamond ring without photos or any further info.

There are thousands of 1974 1.8L cars made. Many still on the road, many owned by members here, and many worth restoring.

We need to SEE it give some better guidance.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Jeff74 @ Mar 26 2014, 04:32 PM) *

It all depends on how rusty it is!

Take off the rocker panels and poke around with a screw driver under the battery tray area of the engine bay!

Take photos and post them here! If there is rust then it depends on your skill with a welder! Just about anything can be fixed with enough $$$ and time!

welcome.png
bandjoey
welcome.png

Almost are worth it. It's a ball of fun to drive. Pictures will help Know the extent of drive it, restore it, or sell it.
Jeff74
[quote name='Qarl' date='Mar 26 2014, 03:34 PM' post='2016476']
[quote name='Jeff74' post='2016475' date='Mar 26 2014, 07:32 PM']
[/quote]

Pictures would be helpful.

We can tell a lot by looking in the trunks, floor pan, under the batter, underneath, engine compartment, exterior as a whole, etc.

This is like emailing a jeweler for an appraisal of your mother's diamond ring without photos or any further info.

There are thousands of 1974 1.8L cars made. Many still on the road, many owned by members here, and many worth restoring.

We need to SEE it give some better guidance.
[/quote

Yes, I agree pictures will help. I just came across this site doing research. From what I've been reading. Rebuilding a 914 is NOT for the faint of heart.

timothy_nd28
Where in Indiana are you?
Mike Bellis
914's are a joy to drive. Rust is the biggest killer and biggest expense. If it is a solid car, fixing and driving will not cost a huge bundle of money. If it is rusty, you will have to decide what direction you want to go.

welcome.png

This is the best place on the web for support along your journey...
walterolin
If you are in southern Indiana, I could come by and look at it.
Jeff74
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 26 2014, 04:13 PM) *

Where in Indiana are you?

Beech Grove. Right outside of Indianapolis
timothy_nd28
A bit far from me sad.gif Take some pics and post them here, we will help you decide.

welcome.png
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Jeff74 @ Mar 26 2014, 04:32 PM) *

L99A is Delphi Green Metallic paint code for a 1974
http://www.p914.com/p914_paint_L99A_74.htm

Yes, the EC engine code is a 1.8L.

As other say here, have a real good look for rust. If the body is solid, you could end up sticking a nice 2.0L or 2056 motor in there for a few thousand and have a blast of a car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.