Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tow Hooks / Eyes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rough_Rider
Beofre my 14 goes to the track i'd like to have a tow point in both front & rear.

What solutions are there, particurlarily for the rear. Where can it mount?
ClayPerrine
On the left side of the rear bumper there is a plug. Behind that plug is a screw in mount for a tow hook.

On the front there is one in the middle of the front trunk floor. But they make hooks that will bolt over the suspension pivot point at the front of the a-arms.
brant
why not use the factory-threaded tow hook location through the bumper?

(I contemplated replacing it on mine, but couldn't think of a lighter way to make it strong enough)

brant
larryp
But they make hooks that will bolt over the suspension pivot point at the front of the a-arms.

Who is "they"?
Rough_Rider
Didn't know where teh sotkc locations we're as both bumpers are f/g so no holes. We can fix that IPB Image

So the rear one would be about here ??
Root_Werks
Yep, around there somewhere. IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Look in the Mid America Motor Works catalog under the 911 section . There are tow hooks that bolt under the suspension bolts at the front of the a-arms. You would have to cut a small hole in the valence for them to poke through, but it would put one out front and visible.
brant
Here is my home-made front one:
brant
Oklahoma....

(I won't say it)
just teasing... I like that car Trev
brant
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 10 2005, 05:41 PM)
Oklahoma....

(I won't say it)
just teasing... I like that car Trev
brant

And just exactly what is it that your not saying???
campbellcj
FWIW the rear hook is not terribly strong; er maybe "strong" (it's forged) but it's brittle. I broke mine off in a little trailer unloading incident. I tried to extricate the shank with a bolt extractor but no dice.

In the front I got the part somebody here was selling a while back and mounted it as I saw on Milt's former car "Manfred", now Z's. Bolted up to the tub down under the right headlight. That works fine...unfortunately I've had to use it at Willow. IPB Image
brant
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Jan 10 2005, 05:43 PM)
Oklahoma....

(I won't say it)
just teasing...  I like that car Trev
brant

Curt, I'm just teasing...

heck I grew up 30minutes away from the panhandle and passed through more than a few times...

its just that movie. I saw it when I was young and impressionable. that line really stuck in my head all these years.
Jeroen
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Jan 11 2005, 03:14 AM)
In the front I got the part somebody here was selling a while back

IIRC that was Eric Shae...
Look in the "resources" forum, he may have a couple left
brant
Also.. although I've been lucky not to have the experience yet.. I've heard many stories like Chris's.

I wouldn't trust the factory tow hook.

but the attatchment location on the rear appears to be strong enough and I haven't heard too many horor stories about the location.

we are making a replacement rear hook that will thread into the factory rear location.
Eric_Shea
I have one pair of these left. I believe Trevor has them spoken for. They're $18.00 a pair plus shipping. Ron Szymanski (RON S.) manufactured a batch and we sold through them. I suppose if there's enough interest more could be made...
Eric_Shea
Trev,

I sent you an e-mail with the shipping amount etc. I'm using these on mine with FG bumpers. I will put a 90 deg. bend in it and cut an exit slot under the faux rubber cap, around the inside tie-in point on the headlight bucket area. They will be mounted horizontally like Brants but higher up on the tub. If you get yourself in the kitty-litter you may want it higher. For a skilled driver like Brant, this probably isn't a problem IPB Image IPB Image
URY914
The stock tow hooks are OK when towing on flat level pavement, but if you go off and get sideways in the sand-good luck. That rear hook has nothing behind it but sheetmetal. And I've seen the front one get pulled right off by a tow rig at a track.

The rednecks that work the tow rigs at Sebring are famous for this. IPB Image

Paul
brant
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 11 2005, 11:09 AM)
Trev,

I sent you an e-mail with the shipping amount etc. I'm using these on mine with FG bumpers. I will put a 90 deg. bend in it and cut an exit slot under the faux rubber cap, around the inside tie-in point on the headlight bucket area. They will be mounted horizontally like Brants but higher up on the tub. If you get yourself in the kitty-litter you may want it higher. For a skilled driver like Brant, this probably isn't a problem IPB Image IPB Image

ha...

your funny eric
lets just hope I don't bury them..

but seriously, out here its all tumble weeds so how deep can I bury them

On the rear, yes its just a mount into sheetmetal. The metal is somewhat reinforced, but not as strong as a suspension point...

my choice was to not add anything to a suspension point in that I didn't want the weight.
Jeroen
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 11 2005, 08:20 PM)
I've seen the front one get pulled right off by a tow rig at a track.
The rednecks that work the tow rigs at Sebring are famous for this. IPB Image

yeah... I've seen them dumb-ass trackworkers pretty much pull cars in two IPB Image
that worries me quite a bit... whats a good sturdy place to connect a tow-hook to?
Needs to be something structural...
Any suggestions from guys with non-stock hooks that have actually needed them?
Eric_Shea
**SOLD BTW**
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 11 2005, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Jan 10 2005, 05:43 PM)
Oklahoma....

(I won't say it)
just teasing...  I like that car Trev
brant

Curt, I'm just teasing...

heck I grew up 30minutes away from the panhandle and passed through more than a few times...

its just that movie. I saw it when I was young and impressionable. that line really stuck in my head all these years.

Yeah, I know Brant. Same here. IPB Image I assume your talking about the broadway play? I've never seen it or the movie, but have heard the song IPB Image . I'm just glad they finally dumped the " Oklahoma is OK" from our license plates. "Native America" sounds much better, and not quite as "okie". IPB Image

BTW, I may be the only person who was born in Ok. who doesn't claim to be part indian. IPB Image
ChrisFoley
Here's where I put my front tow loop.
ChrisFoley
and the rear one.

They are fabricated in aluminum, and are designed to take side and vertical loads as well as straight pulls. You never know what will happen if you get stuck somewhere off track. When I crashed in '03 the wrecker picked up the car at the rear by the tow loop. It bent the rear trunk panel and latch reinforcement area where it is bolted in, but not the tow loop itself.
brant
chris,

whats it bolted too or through...
is it just a nut and washer?

mmmm... aluminum.. (luv it)
ChrisFoley
IIRC the front has a small aluminum plate behind the panel it is bolted through and in the rear the bolts go through the latch reinforcement area with washers and nuts inside.
I guess tomorrow I could remove the bumpers and get better pics. The bumpers are only dzus clipped in place.
ChrisFoley
Here's a better pic of my front tow loop
ChrisFoley
and the rear tow loop
brant
Chris,

thanks for taking the time to get the pic.
thanks alot!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.