Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Someone is getting a good deal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Derek Seymour
My car is currently at $7500 on ebay. Probably 4-5K less than what it is worth. Take care of her and have fun. I know I'll be back in the 914 universe again one day.

I wanted to thank the folks here that helped while I was working to get her smogged and the advice I got while wrenching away. Luckily I got to drive her a handful of times before getting laid off and ending up in the hospital.

Cheers

Derek
2mAn
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Have you advertised it in the classifieds?
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(2mAn @ Mar 27 2014, 11:44 AM) *

no

less than 2 minutes left and I am about to get ripped off sad.gif
JmuRiz
How could you not list it here first...do you have a listing to the auction?
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Mar 27 2014, 11:47 AM) *

no

$8655
wow... I really can't believe it
looks like all the hype on value is just that hype, but then again I set her up for the track
tarett camber plates, elephant low friction mounts, 23mm sway away up front, 180 weltmeister on custom perches that allowed the infinite adjust sleeves. hard plastic bushings all the way around. Perfect dash, brand new seats, very rare momo steering wheel, brand new Glasurit paint
and it seems that originals go for more.
arrg
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Mar 27 2014, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Mar 27 2014, 11:47 AM) *

no

$8655
wow... I really can't believe it
looks like all the hype on value is just that hype, but then again I set her up for the track
tarett camber plates, elephant low friction mounts, 23mm sway away up front, 180 weltmeister on custom perches that allowed the infinite adjust sleeves. hard plastic bushings all the way around. Perfect dash, brand new seats, very rare momo steering wheel, brand new Glasurit paint
and it seems that originals go for more.
arrg

It was listed. I made a comment that it was mine and the listing was deleted.
I re listed and that was deleted and I don't know why
Ferg
Appears somebody got a great deal... Nice looking car.
2mAn
sad.gif Ive been watching the local ads and Craigslist... Not sure why you wouldnt have tried posting it in the classifieds here first before going to Ebay...
larryM
simple fact - eBay is where the CASH is

at ay given time there is maybe ONE person who wants what we have bad enuf to cough up cash on demand

if we have 3 yrs to haggle over a sale, the classifieds sometimes work
DRPHIL914
you placed your e-bay link in the ebay add section , but not in the F/S section of classifieds, you would have had a lot more interest in that section . but yes, original cars by and large will sell for more than a track modified car, not always but most of the time. what is worth to you , what you spent on it and what its worth to someone else are different things. if you didnt want to sell it for less, you should have put a higher reserve on it. .....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Mar 27 2014, 11:59 AM) *

Nothing was ever deleted! rolleyes.gif

The first one was moved to the correct classifieds section:
www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=232772

And the second one YOU posted in the Sandbox instead of the classifieds:
www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=232621

You might want to check your facts before you start accusing people of deleting your posts ...
dry.gif
timothy_nd28
agree.gif Hey on a side note, the member search feature isn't working for me.
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 27 2014, 12:57 PM) *

Nothing was ever deleted! rolleyes.gif

The first one was moved to the correct classifieds section:
www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=232772

And the second one YOU posted in the Sandbox instead of the classifieds:
www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=232621

You might want to check your facts before you start accusing people of deleting your posts ...
dry.gif

not going to comment... but I could not find it and I don't know why there are so many anal rules about things being at some place or another. This isn't Germany circa 1940 and we should not have to show our papers every time we want to post.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Mar 27 2014, 01:02 PM) *
This isn't Germany circa 1940 and we should not have to show our papers every time we want to post.

Now that's a classy comment right there. You can't figure out where to post an Ad and now we're all Nazis here.
bs.gif

And for the record, the admin who moved your thread into the correct section is American ...
rolleyes.gif
2mAn
The ebay link doesnt work either... at least not for me. Oh well, back to the classifieds and haggling people for another 2.5 years tongue.gif
JmuRiz
Looks like the ebay link was a generic listing for all 914s for sale. I still don't know which one was his for sale.

Basically a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
If someone is prospecting on the 'next big thing' they will most likely get burned.
Derek Seymour
I'm not pulling out the Nazi card. but I am pulling out the why stick up for a system that constantly shows flaws and errors unless you are some super computer whiz that knows how to access anything at any time.

Members here are constantly berated for not "knowing" how to find something when it should be way more simple.

and now this is off topic and I'm out.
billh1963
Looks like a nice car and I'm sorry that you didn't get what you expected. I just looked at the auction and I think your lack of pictures of the common rust areas, no pictures of the engine and under the car, etc. hurt your total price.

To get good money for a 914 you MUST have clear, high resolution and detailed pictures of the problem areas...otherwise, people assume there is some work needed and bid accordingly
biosurfer1
Probably $4-5k less than what it is worth? No, it's worth exactly $8655, which is what someone paid for it. What it is worth and what you think it's worth are obviously two different things.

Being a jerk to Andy because an admin moved your post to the correct spot? Asking people to put their things in the correct place is not anal, it's just common sense... even in Germany rolleyes.gif
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 27 2014, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Mar 27 2014, 01:02 PM) *
This isn't Germany circa 1940 and we should not have to show our papers every time we want to post.

Now that's a classy comment right there. You can't figure out where to post an Ad and now we're all Nazis here.
bs.gif

And for the record, the admin who moved your thread into the correct section is American ...
rolleyes.gif

Free bump...I needed a laugh - thanks Andy. piratenanner.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Mar 27 2014, 03:20 PM) *

I'm not pulling out the Nazi card. but I am pulling out the why stick up for a system that constantly shows flaws and errors unless you are some super computer whiz that knows how to access anything at any time.

Members here are constantly berated for not "knowing" how to find something when it should be way more simple.

WTF.gif

I know Andy doesn't need me to defend him, but you hit a nerve with me. ( I know, who cares)

How hard is it to put a FS ad in the correct forum? You have been a member since 09. I think your frustration of selling your car to cheap (so you claim) is showing.

Playing armchair quarterback here, but you should have put a reserve on what you would take for the car or even a buy it now option. It is to late now for that.

Maybe having pictures of the engine bay and hell hole area would have helped your sale also.

For those wondering here is link to the ebay auction 76 914
dlkawashima

I'm sorry to hear your car didn't sell for the price you expected. I saw the posting in our Ebay / Craigslist classifieds section and went over to the ebay ad to look at the car. Not that it should matter, but of the 10 images you posted, half were out of focus. So I don't think the car was as nicely presented as it should have been, and the final sale price suffered accordingly.
johnhora
As Jimmy F says...

THANK YOU FOR:
A Winning bid of $8,655.00 ....which is a good price for this 914
THANK YOU FOR:
A 914-WORLD that let's me post and lurk here for FREE
THANK YOU FOR:
A group of grumpy 914 addicts that will always help me find answers or parts
THANK YOU FOR:
A world with challenges that make it interesting
THANK YOU FOR:
A webmaster administrator that works for nothing

flag.gif
Larmo63
Also,
A) '75 and '76 cars might not go for quite as much as earlier cars because of the (___) bumpers?
B) Here in California, earlier cars avoid smog checks.....!
C) I couldn't tell what kind of wheels the car had/has in the photos.....?
D) You didn't list it right, with a high reserve, and now you want to blame somebody else?
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(johnhora @ Mar 27 2014, 05:16 PM) *

THANK YOU FOR:
A webmaster administrator that works for nothing

flag.gif

agree.gif beerchug.gif

To the OP, Ebay does have a reserve price format too. If the car was worth as much as you deem it was, it would have been prudent to pay the fees to sell it with a reserve.
PanelBilly
Good thing tomorrow is another day and we get to start over
FourBlades

In Before The Lock!

...and...

ILBT!

smile.gif

Thanks for all your hard work Andy!

AlBreakit
A picture tells a thousand words. Your pictures sucked. FWIW, price seemed fair to me., but what do I know? This is my FIRST POST after all. poke.gif
AlBreakit
Apologies if missed the intro forum or if there's an "I'm a Newbie" post protocol that I've forgone, but this one kinda got me. The Ebay ad screams half assedness. I think you are lucky to have gotten what you did....in this economy. beerchug.gif
zambezi
Well at least you are getting a nice send off from the forum. On the bright side about half ebay sales never actually go through so you may have another chance at selling it again.
bulitt
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Mar 27 2014, 04:20 PM) *

But you did play the card. And for the life of me I don't see any reason for your remark other than to be hateful. If perhaps you were joking IMHO it was in extremely poor taste. Sir, if you return, you owe Andy and 914World an apology.
Big Len
As a somewhat frequent seller on Ebay, we could all learn a lesson here. Quite simply, the ad sucked.

The pictures - Few in number, out of focus, where's the rest of the car? How about a picture on the road or with a great background? You took pics in an ugly garage with little light. If Ted Hendricks was selling one of his Corvettes, you think he would have placed an ad like yours? Also, most 914 buyers are aware of the rust issues and this seller did nothing to alleviate those concerns. Show what your most proud of and show what needs to be addressed

The script - Reading the ad tells me you devoted little time or really didn't care. The script is like a ad's resume. In this case, you want to tell people the benefits of ownership and why you loved building and driving it. There's a complete lack of emotion as if written by Mr. Spock. Details, honesty and enthusiasm sells. Honestly, your lack of these resulted in a lower than expected price.
mepstein
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 28 2014, 07:46 AM) *

As a somewhat frequent seller on Ebay, we could all learn a lesson here. Quite simply, the ad sucked.

The pictures - Few in number, out of focus, where's the rest of the car? How about a picture on the road or with a great background? You took pics in an ugly garage with little light. If Ted Hendricks was selling one of his Corvettes, you think he would have placed an ad like yours? Also, most 914 buyers are aware of the rust issues and this seller did nothing to alleviate those concerns. Show what your most proud of and show what needs to be addressed

The script - Reading the ad tells me you devoted little time or really didn't care. The script is like a ad's resume. In this case, you want to tell people the benefits of ownership and why you loved building and driving it. There's a complete lack of emotion as if written by Mr. Spock. Details, honesty and enthusiasm sells. Honestly, your lack of these resulted in a lower than expected price.

agree.gif one thing i learned in real estate - people buy on emotion. world, ebay, ect is just media. How you present the message is what counts. there's a member here - photos - his pics of parts for sale are so nice, i want to buy them even though i don't need them. The seller probably gave away a couple grand just from lack of effort making the ad. But then again, these are the kind of ads i look for surfing craigslist, ebay, thesamba, ect. I know there will be less competion and lower prices when its a poor ad.

I just took a look at the ebay ad - WOW! looks like you didn't put more than 5 minutes into that ad and that would include turning on the computer. I used to run the ebay store for a local merchant. I would have been fired if I ran that ad.
Mike Bellis
It would have been very simple to put a high reserve on the car when you listed it. It is super easy to lower the reserve during the bidding. Many times when you lower the reserve during the bid, it stimulates more bidding. Even if you lower it by $5, the auction will say "Seller Lowered Reserve".

I'm sorry you did not get what you wanted. Nobody ever gets what they really want... sad.gif
Mike Bellis
Here is the original ad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Porsche-914-2...=p2047675.l2557
billh1963
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 28 2014, 10:03 AM) *

Nobody ever gets what they really want... sad.gif

But if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need.... rolleyes.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 28 2014, 08:55 AM) *

But then again, these are the kind of ads i look for surfing craigslist, ebay, thesamba, ect. I know there will be less competion and lower prices when its a poor ad.

agree.gif

These are the kinds of ads I love to find when buying a car!
2mAn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 28 2014, 05:55 AM) *

But then again, these are the kind of ads i look for surfing craigslist, ebay, thesamba, ect. I know there will be less competion and lower prices when its a poor ad.

This is exactly how I found my gazelle body. The ads on thesamba were in the $2500-$4500 range depending on completion and quality. I found an ad with one crappy pic, and he wanted $200. I was there that afternoon with the cash in my hand.

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 28 2014, 07:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 28 2014, 10:03 AM) *

Nobody ever gets what they really want... sad.gif

But if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need.... rolleyes.gif

lol-2.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.