Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Badges? Stinking Badges?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I started on this little project awhile ago and hopefully not stepping on any toes. My Photoshop skills have been improving little by little and wanted to bling up my car. I have researched lots of threads regarding this but have never seen anything materialize so I am taking the initiative.

At one time there was a Club Badge...but it wasn't really this club. dry.gif Then lots of talk about a badge for this club; but still no badge.

Lots of you wanted stickers...including me. So I took it upon myself to start designing something familiar yet unique.

i came up with two concepts, one showing all the years a 914 was made and another which can be modified to show the year of your car or the current year like 2014. The design could also be used for a true emblem badge (still researching).

I am looking into print options: White vinyl, clear vinyl, static cling. Clear creates an issue since most printers don't print white ink, or cost increases.

Verensmitglied means Club Member.

If there is interest I'll set up a shopping list once i get pricing figured out. Hopefully this will be well received.

Thanks, Gary

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
w00t.gif

very nice!

add me to the interested group
effutuo101
very nice!
bandjoey
Window cling 1973

But! Be sure the AA man doesn't have copywrite to the design. Someone here probably knows who is the original artist.

BKLA
Not to rain on your parade, but I'd check with Jeroen regarding modification or use of his original artwork. He created the artwork for the original badge - I don't think he will mind, but you should ask first to prevent any consternation. You can contact him thru 9gear.nl
wes
Looks great, I would buy in on that!
7TPorsh
I wasn't sure who did the design way back. i will ping Jeroen. I am sure he will see it here when he wakes up.

I can also alter it a bit. I plan on doing different designs that are 914 related and worthy.

This one is world related.

Harald informs me that I I misspelled Verensmitgied...missing an i.

An easy fix.
Big Len
Nice job.
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 27 2014, 11:38 AM) *

If it was spelled right, you'd be correct ... biggrin.gif

Vereinsmitglied

Note the extra 'i' after the second 'e'!
shades.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 27 2014, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 27 2014, 11:38 AM) *

If it was spelled right, you'd be correct ... biggrin.gif

Vereinsmitglied

Note the extra 'i' after the second 'e'!
shades.gif

yep...working on it

thought maybe Klub Meister for the admins... biggrin.gif
wndsnd
I would definitely be in.

I think static cling is the way to go. Porsche Club of America has gone this route.

John
Mike Bellis
I want some! piratenanner.gif
kid914
niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. what is the size? w00t.gif
Jeroen
Hate to be a party pooper, and definately don't want to restart any fires, but...

Please do not use the 914 silhoutte.
At least not THAT one.
(I designed it, I own the copyrights)

Why would you even want to use the 914club.com logo in something you're making for 914world.com anyway?

The whole reason behind logo's / badges / stickers / whatever is to distinguish yourself from others.

For that reason alone, it makes absolutely ZERO sense why you'd want to make something that's this close to a 914club.com design and use it for 914world.com
(yes, I also designed the 914club.com badge)

cheers,

Jeroen
rick 918-S
Thanks for responding Jeroen. I agree it's your design. And a damned good one. World needs it's own identity and design. Nice to see you post. beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
The Porsche lawyers would have you think they own it. (And "all" of the number groupings--356,911,912,914...). wink.gif
Jeroen
I'm no lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but for what I remember, you can't copyright or trademark a number.

Although I did design the original badge, I can't (and won't) claim any copyrights on the checkered/gridded inner circle, which is obviously based on the "Weltmeister" decal from the early 70-ies.
The "castled" (for lack of a better term) outer egde is also way to generic to stake any claims to it.

As far as I'm concerned, 914club.com is dead and burried and my 914 silhoutte design stays burried with it wink.gif

No offense to Gary, but to me it feels kinda like

Click to view attachment

-----------------------

Hi Rick wavey.gif
bandjoey
Soooooooo. Some new thinking for a new Design. I would like a current World cling on. Who owns that one?

CONTEST. Submit new artwork vote on the top 3. World owns the rights. You be licensed vendor??? Admins. Good idea??
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 27 2014, 08:13 PM) *

Soooooooo. Some new thinking for a new Design. I would like a current World cling on. Who owns that one?

CONTEST. Submit new artwork vote on the top 3. World owns the rights. You be licensed vendor??? Admins. Good idea??

Uuugghh.... dry.gif

Selling club licensed crap is a big part what made the shit hit the fan in the world/club split.

Personally if you want a badge great....but leave it at that.
Instead of a licensed vendor I'd rather see someone step up and do it at say cost plus 10-15% and the rest goes to charity. Even a 914world trust fund for members in need or something like that.

As fast as I hear the "vendor" word for 914world licensed goods I think a total fuck-up is right around the corner.

Hi Jeroen bye1.gif

It's been a long time, I wish you would find it in your heart to come back...many of us old time farts miss your contributions. grouphug.gif
VaccaRabite
There is a procedure for making World stuff.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=65693

Zach
Jeroen
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 28 2014, 05:01 AM) *

Hi Jeroen bye1.gif

It's been a long time, I wish you would find it in your heart to come back...many of us old time farts miss your contributions. grouphug.gif

Hey Mark,
Nothing in my heart is stopping me to come back wink.gif
Just been busy with other stuff...

Yeah, maybe I should hang out here more often.

Sadly I have very little to contribute.
The teener has just been sitting there in the corner of my garage.
She's very patiently waiting for me to collect time and energy to dig in again. welder.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Mar 28 2014, 12:28 AM) *

Hi Jeroen bye1.gif

Hey Mark,

She's very patiently waiting for me to collect time and energy to dig in again. welder.gif

You just need a goal like WCC 04 when I was all out getting the Alien done for a cross country trip to meet you guys. aktion035.gif If you were closer I'd be right over to help out! welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Oh ya, Zach posted the link for how to proceed.
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 28 2014, 01:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Mar 28 2014, 12:28 AM) *

Hi Jeroen bye1.gif

Hey Mark,

You just need a goal like WCC 04 when I was all out getting the Alien done for a cross country trip to meet you guys. aktion035.gif If you were closer I'd be right over to help out! welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Oh ya, Zach posted the link for how to proceed.

Netherlands is only a short 6 hour flight away.

idea.gif
flipb
Somebody (McMark?) had these made a few years ago. My '74 proudly wears one. I snapped the photo the other day when I noticed the sun angle was giving me a perfect shadow on the engine lid.

Click to view attachment

Of course, this was before some barrister from Stuttgart took issue with the site's logo font.
ripper911
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 28 2014, 08:53 AM) *

Netherlands is only a short 6 hour flight away.

idea.gif

And it's quite a fun place to visit! Although I never got out of Amsterdam...
7TPorsh
Ok, understood. Like I said in the first post. Didn't want to step on any toes or piss anyone off.

SirAndy
I have a photoshop version of the current logo if anyone is interested.

And yes, we had to change the font to please the hyenas from Stuttgart PCNA
dry.gif
Dr Evil
Interested.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 28 2014, 09:58 AM) *
And yes, we had to change the font to please the hyenas from Stuttgart PCNA ...
dry.gif

Correction, the hyenas from PCNA ...
dry.gif
Mike Bellis
So you can't use this any more? sad.gif

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 28 2014, 10:46 AM) *

You can if you have a good lawyer and some cash to burn ...
dry.gif
biosurfer1

Click to view attachment

That is beyond ridiculous to me. The whole point of copyright laws is once you get too close, you can cause confusion and thus hurt the original brand.

Show that to someone and I'd say it would mean nothing 99.5% of Porsche people and 99.99999% of the layman. It wouldn't cause Porsche to lose a damn dime, in fact I'm sure they profit in some small way by having clubs around! headbang.gif chair.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 28 2014, 01:27 PM) *

You can if you have a good lawyer and some cash to burn ...
dry.gif

Actually from my research and documents received by Porsche laywers a couple of years ago for something else, the trademarks only really cover:
- the name Porsche
- the porsche type font used for those letters arranged in that order...porsche does not have a trademark on the font or use of the font other than in the name Porsche...and only the letters themselves; other letters are not trademarked.
- model names
- only 911 model number
- certain diagrams of the 911 and boxster.

This is what I derived from the packet they sent me. You can burn a whole lot of their lawyer time without a lawyer. They push to an extent and then disappear cause they have no case and it's not worth it.

In my opinion using 914 in porsche style font is acceptable since they do not have a trade mark on the model number or the numbers in that font.

I don't see where they have a case with 914 in the font.
7TPorsh
you can always use moonhouse font...just type 9 I 4...
http://www.ffonts.net/moonhouse.font
Eric_Shea
I'm no lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but for what I remember, you can't copyright or trademark a number.

Their attorneys are claiming "Commonlaw Trademarks" in the United States on the following:
356,550,912,914,924,928,930,944,959,964,968,986,987,993,996,997,C2 and C4

I don't even think it's PCNA. I think they simply hired a "firm" to pursue claims as such so they could prove their due diligence in protecting their brand in the event of a "real" trademark infringement case. The firm was simply racking up billable hours.

This happened with Fender and Gibson in the Music Industry. Fender had to pursue every guitar with a shape and headstock that looks like a Strat otherwise, it would be an easy case to overturn. Same with Gibson and the "Single Cutaway". They recently lost (last 5-10 years) that battle and you see PRS's now with single cuts, etc.

Real legal drama. No place like the good ole USofA.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 28 2014, 02:34 PM) *
Their attorneys are claiming "Commonlaw Trademarks" in the United States on the following:
356,550,912,914,924,928,930,944,959,964,968,986,987,993,996,997,C2 and C4

agree.gif

Regardless of how ya'll feel about any of this, i have the letters from their lawyers to proof that they can and will go after you.

Without going too much into detail here, i can tell you that for a while we didn't think this website would survive ...
dry.gif
Johny Blackstain
I'd like to see a combo of these 3... replace the "AUP" with something new that says 914 world, & the airplane w/ a new teener silhouette. Have it spin too. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I have two of the original 'stinking' badges. Never put on a car. Somehow, I didn't need no stinking badges...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.