Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for recommendations for 914 shipper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I know this is a topic that has been covered here numerous times. I have shipped a few cars from West to East and can not even remember what company I used. I am not looking for low ball, I want the 914 to arrive intact, unscathed, and on time.

So, any recommendations or warnings about companies?

Any help with the search function? I tried 'shipping 914' and others and got way to many superfluous hits.

Thanks! smile.gif
McMark
Can't help on the shipping. But is the new car green? happy11.gif
Dr Evil
Maybe (yes) biggrin.gif
bulitt
You could go with a big name like Horseless carriage. Or you can google a truck dispatch company. They will give you options such as "open" or "enclosed".
If I recall about three years ago I was quoted @700$ open and 1100$ enclosed. But it is a crap shoot as they just use pretty much any available guy with a truck.
If there is a big event like Monterey then cars will be flowing west on transports from all over the country. Many will be returning empty and you may have the opportunity to ride cheap as a backhaul. Other options- check Autotrader and Hemmings for companies including mom and pops. Also you could purchase a new car trailer for around 2000$ in calif, fly out and tow it back with a Uhaul. Bet Barrett Jackson/SEMA website has a list of transports also.
Jeffs9146
Thread about Shipping Across the Country
Dr Evil
That is it, Jeff. Thanks!

Bullitt, If I were to go out to CA to get it, I would just drive it back confused24.gif I sort of have the time....my wife would probably shit a brick if I left for 3-4 days.
john77
I shipped my 914 from SC to CA at the start of the year. The company, Auto Transport Junction, was recommended to me by the guy I bought my 2002tii off who worked for BMW, he said they shipped a lot of cars for them.

http://autotransportjunction.com/

After reading all the possible horror stories I was really pleased with the service, plus the car turned up about 4 days early, without a scratch on it. They transported it enclosed for $1700, no stops along the way, all in the same truck - if I remember correctly the usual names - Intercity, Horseless, etc, - all wanted around $2100.

John
Dr Evil
Meh, I dont have the time to drive it home from CA until late in April. I was hoping to have it here by Hershey...quote request in. I dont need covered, I do want to steer clear of the bad ones. There have been some real crappy ones poster here over the years. The one above with a portly, bedazzled trucker makes me nervous. I will see about top tier. The transport review page is a nice resource. One has to make sure compensated reviews are not in selected in the list.
john77
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 28 2014, 01:11 PM) *

Meh, I dont have the time to drive it home from CA until late in April. I was hoping to have it here by Hershey...quote request in. I dont need covered, I do want to steer clear of the bad ones. There have been some real crappy ones poster here over the years. The one above with a portly, bedazzled trucker makes me nervous. I will see about top tier. The transport review page is a nice resource. One has to make sure compensated reviews are not in selected in the list.

Yeah, it seems to be a bit of a crap shoot. Every company seems to have at least one bad review somewhere - apart from Intercity, I couldn't find a bad word against them. I rolled the dice and it worked out for me. Good luck with it.
halmil
Intercity and Reliable are well vetted providers. Hard to go wrong
bulitt
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 28 2014, 03:31 PM) *

That is it, Jeff. Thanks!

Bullitt, If I were to go out to CA to get it, I would just drive it back confused24.gif I sort of have the time....my wife would probably shit a brick if I left for 3-4 days.

Oh yeah. I was going to bring a V8 conversion back that got 8mpg and that was an option. But hey, you get a trailer out of it biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Ya, no. I see that. I am getting a stock 2.0 that runs well. Shippers are funny. I started looking up carriers based on lowest quote. Called up one that had very good reviews on many independent sites and had no bad press. This is hard to do. But, I call them, tell them I was quoted $744 and they say, "let me see if that is accurate". Foot in the door technique. They quote me $909-1009 for the VIP service. I tell them no. Then they offer to shop around the carriers they know and see if anyone will take $850. I told them that was all I was paying. So, now I wait. I do not doubt that they find someone at that price. A little annoyed, but the quote was low and the second rate is more in line with normal so not too pissy.
carr914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 28 2014, 12:51 PM) *

I know this is a topic that has been covered here numerous times. I have shipped a few cars from West to East and can not even remember what company I used. I am not looking for low ball, I want the 914 to arrive intact, unscathed, and on time.

So, any recommendations or warnings about companies?

Any help with the search function? I tried 'shipping 914' and others and got way to many superfluous hits.

Thanks! smile.gif

I know that you moved a Roller across Country probably 2007 and you used Webster Services as your Broker. I remember because I moved a car across country a few months later and I used him per your experience. I have used Wayne 4 times since.

888-333-6343

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=Webster Services&st=40
Dr Evil
Shoot, I forgot all about Wayne. Dang, I am somewhat obligated to the other shipper at the moment. However, there was not a clear distinction of time frame and I have an email in asking for clarification. If they can not meet my wishes in a reasonable time, I will try to get a hold of Wayne.
jsayre914
congrats on your purchase mike

beerchug.gif

cant wait to see it piratenanner.gif
jsayre914
dont you still have a 914 sitting in Scotts garage idea.gif
Dr Evil
Shut up, Joe. Mentioning it makes Scooter feel some sort of way..... This one is stock, will stay stock, and stay in good shape. The one at Scooters is not stock and is to be infinitely messed with.
jsayre914
hide.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 28 2014, 08:50 PM) *
This one is stock, will stay stock, and stay in good shape.

av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif poke.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 28 2014, 05:03 PM) *

hide.gif

mad.gif slap.gif ar15.gif

Mike avoid the brokers at all costs. Everytime I have had to deal with a broker it was a total FUBAR and took way longer than it should have. By shopping for the lowest deal, they are basically looking for some slack-jaw that doesn't have enough work to come get yer cur when theyz in the areola.

Congrats on the new one. Can't wait to see ride in it smile.gif
McMark
If the timing goes sideways, you've always got a place to stash it at my shop. wink.gif
orthobiz
7 years ago I was happy with Passport. passport transport.com
They did a great job, enclosed transport.

Last year I looked into shipping my red car, the one I eventually drove back form California to Michigan. Got onto an all-inclusive "we'll find the best carrier" type of website. Left my phone number and for about a month received numerous phone calls about shipping my vehicle, all saying they had someone in the neighborhood RIGHT NOW who could pick it up.

So I'd definitely deal with one shipper at a time and stick with members' recommendations!

Paul
billh1963
I have had several cars shipped from California in the past year and a half by Golden Key Express. They are open trailers but never had a problem. They own their trucks..are not brokers.

My nicer cars that I have shipped enclosed I used Exotic car transport out of Orlando. Excellent reputation, less expensive than intercity/reliable and were able to get the car quickly.
'73-914kid
I believe it was Golden Key Express that you shipped Lew's old car out on Bill? If so, the driver seemed very professional, and it was evening sharing the trailer with some other Porsche brethren..

If you can deal with an open trailer, these guys seemed good.
Jake Raby
We became our own broker for shipping so many cars to and from our facility. I'd be happy to list it for you and you can deal directly with the driver.
Dr Evil
Dang, I didnt get any notices from this thread....email is acting goofy.

I am in talks with a place for $850, waiting to hear back from Jim on his availability to meet a driver (saves money and time).

In preparation for possible annoyance, I also made a call to Wayne. If he can beat or meet the price, I would definitely like to use him.

Right now the broker is doing the expected dicking around looking for someone who can "pick up the car" for the stated price. Meanwhile, they try to get $50 more out of me. I expected this. I am not in a hurry, so this is not stressful.
Dr Evil
Pics of the car.... I had more from when Noel and I used it on our Honeymoon, but someone threw away my hard drive.
billh1963
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Mar 29 2014, 08:02 AM) *

I believe it was Golden Key Express that you shipped Lew's old car out on Bill? If so, the driver seemed very professional, and it was evening sharing the trailer with some other Porsche brethren..

If you can deal with an open trailer, these guys seemed good.

It was Golden Key. I have used them to ship two 914's, a TR6, a Jeep, a '76 Chevrolet K10 and a Ferrari. I had an excellent experience every time.
Chris H.
Fantastic pics Michael. slap.gif Those are great. lol-2.gif

A '73? Glad you're gonna have a fully functioning 914 again! beerchug.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 1 2014, 03:35 PM) *

Dang, I didnt get any notices from this thread....email is acting goofy.

I am in talks with a place for $850, waiting to hear back from Jim on his availability to meet a driver (saves money and time).

In preparation for possible annoyance, I also made a call to Wayne. If he can beat or meet the price, I would definitely like to use him.

Right now the broker is doing the expected dicking around looking for someone who can "pick up the car" for the stated price. Meanwhile, they try to get $50 more out of me. I expected this. I am not in a hurry, so this is not stressful.

Brokers line up anyone. It's a crap shoot what kind of driver you will get.
billh1963
QUOTE(bulitt @ Apr 1 2014, 09:39 PM) *

Brokers line up anyone. It's a crap shoot what kind of driver you will get.

I agree. Having been down that path I now only use firms that have their own trucks and drivers.
boxstr
Coast to Coast, does a lot of my vehicle transport.
Craig at CAMP
KELTY360
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 1 2014, 11:41 AM) *

Pics of the car.... I had more from when Noel and I used it on our Honeymoon, but someone threw away my hard drive.

Wow! Is that a Grasshopper? locust.gif grasshopper914.jpg
CptTripps
I did this a few months ago. I ended up paying for Jerry to drive it from the seller to his house, and then another $1,000 to get it to Cleveland.

Good news: It only took 2-3 days after the car was picked up.

Bad news: It took about 10 days to find a guy that could move the car.
scotty b
I need a vacation. Buy me a one way plane ticket and a weeks pay. biggrin.gif

and gas,food,lodging and gambling, money

and hookers and coke

and a shovel

and possibly bail money

Todduh has the lawyer on retainer right ?

mellow.gif
bulitt
Scooters excellent adventure... aktion035.gif
achman_73_2.0
I used Uship.com and picked my own shipper, a guy who owned a two-car enclosed air ride trailer and did this full time. He had GPS tracking, picked up on time and delivered on time to the minute (really) and was reasonable. Good reviews. It cost the same with him as it did on an unenclosed trailer with a big company, and Reliable was 1.5 times higher than that.

Trouble is, he only runs from Florida to Canada, East coast...but you might check it out.
Dr Evil
Scott, you are too late. I would have.

Secured shipping today. Called Wayne and he said $1k. I said oh. He said, well $900, but we wont get anyone for less than that.

I went with the shippers I have been talking to for $850. Pick up is Sat or Sun and delivery is "supposed to be" 4-5 days.

Place your bets!
MDG
thumb3d.gif

Sweet.
MDG
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 2 2014, 04:45 PM) *

Pick up is Sat or Sun . . .

Scotty - looks like we need to show up Friday then?
Dr Evil
The portly old Scottsman that currently has possession of the car can be lethal. Dont underestimate him. Better to rob the moving truck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.