Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Push rod tubes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I am remembering a tread sometime back that suggested ther might be different sized push rod oil return tubes. I as be causr I put tubes from a 1.7 onto a 2.0 build. The case is a match but the heads are new. Why yes, I am having leaks. Excuse me, I will clean that up...
Any help?
bdstone914
Yes there are two sizes. Put together a 72 1.7 and most of the tubes I had were too big. Went through a bucket of them to find ones that fit. Not sure if that is your problem of small tubes in big holes.
We had the problem at the heads.
Dave_Darling
The early 1.7 heads had smaller bores for the push rod tubes. So the outer end (only!) of the tube was smaller. Later 1.7s, and all 1.8s and 2.0s, had the larger size outer ends.

I'm a bit surprised that a 72 had the small-hole heads; I had thought it was confined to 1970 and maybe some of 1971.

The inboard ends were all the same size.

--DD
bdstone914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 28 2014, 02:56 PM) *

The early 1.7 heads had smaller bores for the push rod tubes. So the outer end (only!) of the tube was smaller. Later 1.7s, and all 1.8s and 2.0s, had the larger size outer ends.

I'm a bit surprised that a 72 had the small-hole heads; I had thought it was confined to 1970 and maybe some of 1971.

--DD

We had two engines and the car was a 72. Can't confirm the heads were 72.
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 28 2014, 01:56 PM) *

--DD

Thanks to both of you. Ibet I get better results if I buy new tubes.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 28 2014, 10:10 PM) *

Ibet I get better results if I buy new tubes.

I'm getting ready to produce 30 sets of my new stainless PR tubes.
They should be available in 2-4 weeks.

I also have several sets of new stock PR tubes which I am happy to sell off now.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 29 2014, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Mar 28 2014, 10:10 PM) *

Ibet I get better results if I buy new tubes.

I'm getting ready to produce 30 sets of my new stainless PR tubes.
They should be available in 2-4 weeks.

I also have several sets of new stock PR tubes which I am happy to sell off now.

Hey Chris how much will a set of the stainless PR tubes cost? I may be interested in a set.
stugray
Anyone know how to tell the two kinds apart?
I assume measuring each end's diameter without the gaskets will work.

I just found an old set and cleaned them, but I dont know if they are 1.7 or 1.8/2.0.
The ones I have just measured 30mm & 26.7mm
jaxdream
That would be a helpful thing to know what the diameters are for the early vs the late . Anybody have these specs to share ????

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.