Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front hub/new Fuchs help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmendel
I just switched wheels to a new set of Fuchs alloys, but had some trouble with the center cap. The grease cap that came off the front hub was the black cap in the pictures below, and I want to fit the silver caps on the Fuchs, as pictured. Should the Fuchs cap fit over the black cap, or is it supposed to replace the black cap. Seems like the black cap would provide much better grease in/dirt out protection, but the silver center cap does not fit over the black cap. Thought? Wrong silver caps? Supposed to replace black cap? Thanks.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
The silver cap is attached to the wheel.
The black cap fits onto the hub.

Do not remove the black cap to get the wheels on. They keep the grease in the hubs.
Qarl
QUOTE(bmendel @ Mar 28 2014, 06:07 PM) *

I just switched wheels to a new set of Fuchs alloys, but had some trouble with the center cap. The grease cap that came off the front hub was the black cap in the pictures below, and I want to fit the silver caps on the Fuchs, as pictured. Should the Fuchs cap fit over the black cap, or is it supposed to replace the black cap. Seems like the black cap would provide much better grease in/dirt out protection, but the silver center cap does not fit over the black cap. Thought? Wrong silver caps? Supposed to replace black cap? Thanks.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Grease cap stays attached to hub.

The silver aluminum hub cover is attached to the wheels and is for decoration only (over the grease cap).

Qarl
QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 28 2014, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(bmendel @ Mar 28 2014, 06:07 PM) *

I just switched wheels to a new set of Fuchs alloys, but had some trouble with the center cap. The grease cap that came off the front hub was the black cap in the pictures below, and I want to fit the silver caps on the Fuchs, as pictured. Should the Fuchs cap fit over the black cap, or is it supposed to replace the black cap. Seems like the black cap would provide much better grease in/dirt out protection, but the silver center cap does not fit over the black cap. Thought? Wrong silver caps? Supposed to replace black cap? Thanks.

The silver aluminum hub cover is attached to the wheels and is for decoration only (over the grease cap).

Clay beat me too it!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 28 2014, 05:30 PM) *

Clay beat me too it!

Ha Ha! Too Slow!!! piratenanner.gif
bmendel
QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 28 2014, 03:30 PM) *

Does this mean I have the wrong silver caps, as they do not fit over the black grease caps, or do I need to seat the black cap further in with a piece of wood and a BFH
Qarl
You mean the grease caps are sticking through the hole in the Fuchs too much once the wheel is mounted?

If so, then perhaps not in far enough.

Again, the aluminum caps attach to the wheel. Pressure fit to the inside center hole of the fuchs rum. Use a board and rubber mallet and tap them in squarely.

Qarl
QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 28 2014, 07:02 PM) *

You mean the grease caps are sticking through the hole in the Fuchs too much once the wheel is mounted?

If so, then perhaps not in far enough.

Again, the aluminum caps attach to the wheel. Pressure fit to the inside center hole of the fuchs rum. Use a board and rubber mallet and tap them in squarely.

found something similar on the bird site

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...e-dust-cap.html
Valy
There are multiple sizes of the black cap. You may have one that's to big.
But, are those silver caps the original ones or reproduction? The reproduction ones had an issue with the depth, especially the first batch from 914rubber. I think he fixed them later on.
bmendel
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 28 2014, 04:14 PM) *

But, are those silver caps the original ones or reproduction? The reproduction ones had an issue with the depth, especially the first batch from 914rubber. I think he fixed them later on.

they are new repro's, maybe thats the problem. I'll have to play around with them this weekend and see. I put them on the wheel, but as I tighten down the wheel, the dust cap pushes the center cap out a couple millimeters when the wheel is tightened all the way. maybe I can find a smaller dust cap.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bmendel @ Mar 28 2014, 04:17 PM) *
but as I tighten down the wheel, the dust cap pushes the center cap out a couple millimeters when the wheel is tightened all the way.

smash.gif

The black cap needs to be on there tight. Like suggested above use a wooden block and a hammer and see if you can get it to seat better ...
smile.gif
Valy
QUOTE(bmendel @ Mar 28 2014, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 28 2014, 04:14 PM) *

they are new repro's, maybe thats the problem. I'll have to play around with them this weekend and see. I put them on the wheel, but as I tighten down the wheel, the dust cap pushes the center cap out a couple millimeters when the wheel is tightened all the way. maybe I can find a smaller dust cap.

Talk to 914rubber. He fixed them. I had the same issue. There is no grease cap small enough. Also check all 4 caps. I think he sipped 2 good and 2 bad for a while. The bad ones will fit on the rear wheels.
ClayPerrine
I would also suggest that you make a trip to the local big box home improvement store and get some PVC that fits tightly inside the hole for the silver cap in the wheel, and a piece that fits over the outside of the silver cap and rests on the lip. That way you will be able to remove and reinstall those nice, pristine caps without denting them.

bmendel
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 28 2014, 05:04 PM) *

Talk to 914rubber. He fixed them. I had the same issue. There is no grease cap small enough. Also check all 4 caps. I think he sipped 2 good and 2 bad for a while. The bad ones will fit on the rear wheels.

You win the prize, there were 2 shallow and 2 deep caps, just so happened I grabbed the shallow ones (they were all individually wrapped in paper). Put the right ones on the front, and everything worked as it should. Thanks for the tip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.