Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying help with a 73 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
RhodyRanger
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=444
669]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=444673]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachme
ntid=444657]Click to view attachmentHey gang, 1ST time post for me here, so my apologies if I am not following the "local" vernacular, LoL. I've learned much about these cars from all of you over the years and now I need some help from all you experts out there. My fault is that I am a bit of a purist when it comes to my cars. I do appreciate all modifications, but really enjoy the heritage, history and the preservation of both for my kids and their's for years to come. Anyway, I am looking at a 73 914 2.0 with Appearance Group option. I am attaching some photos for a visual representation. The five things I find to be different than what Johnson's 914 book - Spotters Guide starting on page 84 - claims to be original are the radio, three extra gages to the right of the shifter, battery moved to the front compartment, an extra after market horn to the left of the steering wheel, and rear valence being updated with the plastic fasca type. The 2nd owner of this car says it has 72k miles and with an engine rebuild at 56k. I withhold the price for this post until later, just to ask what you guys think I should offer for this car. The seller is a long time PCA Member and reputable member of their community. I have lots other photos, if you need to see something more closely. I send my thanks in advance for any pointers you all might point out.
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
The bumpers & the vinyl on the sail panels are correct for the 73 appearance group package. Not sure about the wheels. Lower rocker panels are aftermarket. Front turn signals are Euro, not US. Front lower spoiler is aftermarket & I'm not convinced that is the correct lower rear valance. The addition of those extra gauges in the center console, movement of the battery to the front, rear reflector installation should mean addition of an electric lock release & that giant horn button makes me wonder about the electrical system in this car. This car was originally fuel injected & has had the injection system replaced w/ carburetors, again making me wonder about the electrical system. The hell hole needs further inspection, as well as the longitudinal member directly underneath it. Also, the crest on the hood was added & did not come from the factory that way. Looks like the car might have been all or partially repainted. Overall the car looks OK from the photos you've provided, but more photos would be most helpful in getting a better estimate of what to offer.
Pat Garvey
OK, let's take this car apart.
Number one - the wheels are bogus - not Fuchs
Number two - carbs. Fuel injection should be ther.
Number three - drivers door does not even come close to the painnt of tthe rest of the car.
Numer four - battery in wrong place!
Number five - agree with Blackstain criticisms.
Lots of tother problems here.
Walk away!
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 30 2014, 04:26 PM) *

Lots of tother problems here.

Yes, there just seems to be a lot of things that aren't factory original

1. The dash appears to be capped
2. Speedometer should be a silver button model
3. Temp Gauge appears to be from a '74-'76
4. Window Cranks should be thinner
5. Steering Wheel should be wrapped
6. The dash knob to the left of the horn button is not original
7. The shape of the center cushion does not appear to be original
8. Are the windshield washer nozzles black?
9. Wheel center caps are aftermarket

As for value, really a hard call. Rust will make a huge difference. It "feels" like a car in the $5K-$8K range, but again, really hard to say.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 30 2014, 09:20 PM) *

Yes, there just seems to be a lot of things that aren't factory original

1. The dash appears to be capped
2. Speedometer should be a silver button model
3. Temp Gauge appears to be from a '74-'76
4. Window Cranks should be thinner
5. Steering Wheel should be wrapped
6. The dash knob to the left of the horn button is not original
7. The shape of the center cushion does not appear to be original
8. Are the windshield washer nozzles black?
9. Wheel center caps are aftermarket

As for value, really a hard call. Rust will make a huge difference. It "feels" like a car in the $5K-$8K range, but again, really hard to say.

agree.gif
orthobiz
Agree something odd about the center cushion, like it might not be hinged and the gauges were all added later because of the steering wheel not being wrapped. Wonder if it has a monotone horn? Should be two tone if appearance group from the factory.

Also, Euro turn signals were not original.

Lots of little things to nitpick, I agree. For me the "originality" deal breakers are the carbs, the center Porsche reflector (leaves lots of holes), moving the battery to the front and the extra holes in the dash. Would take a bit of work to "undo" those things. You can always buy another set of wheels and the lookalikes have some value.

This thread might have had a little more action in the Garage section of this website. As it stands, you did get an "earful!"

Paul
orthobiz
Also, it looks like there's a third brake light. I'd be interested in a closeup of it...

Paul
RhodyRanger
Thx for all the feedback. I hoped you could all "school" me and yes I feel schooled. I am going to upload the rest of the photos for your review, but I think I am going to pass especially since the seller wants 12k I think would buy it for 7k and make the easy period correct updates myself. thx for everything - rltw
RhodyRanger
Click to view attachmenthere is the first of several more photos for my continued "schooling". Thx in advance guys.
RhodyRanger
more photos
RhodyRanger
and even more photos
RhodyRanger

and even more again?
RhodyRanger

more more
RhodyRanger

more #6
Johny Blackstain
Ya, I'd pass as well... $12k? No way. Best I'd offer is at the most 1/2 of that. Also suspicious of the trunks being painted black w/ that thick stuff.
RhodyRanger
I think I would offer 8k tops. Obviously not sight unseen or without a local mechanics inspection for compression etc. thx for the feedback so far.
rhodyguy
accessing the spare will be a pita. even just to check to see if it holds air. a bit more care could have been used when the front trunk was bombed. the pass side hellhole is weaker than it looks. ignition wiring is a mess. what function does the piece of flat steel in the lower left of the picture in #12 serve? visible fuel lines need to be rethought, at a minimum. you should look underneath the car. among other areas, the connection point where the lower rear fire wall meets the floor. if you go back for another look take an ice pick with you and invest 30 minutes probing for rust. @ $12k i would want to see the longitudinals behind the rocker covers. don't be blinded by shinny paint.
bdstone914
Two things I see that do not look right.
The engine compartment has the resister for a 1.8l Fi engine that was not available until 74. The gas tank has a plastic expansion tank and it should be steel with a charcoal canister filter on the drivers side. Did you check the engine code? Not a bad looking car but not highly original.
Bruce
mepstein
To me, it's a $5-6K car. Check for rust or it will be an expensive car no matter what you get it for. The spray bombed trunks would turn me off. If it has carbs, chances are the engine will have issues or not be quite "right".
orthobiz
I agree with mepstein.
Too many odd things done. 5 or 6 K tops.
Wonder if it's a member's car? Perhaps a rationale for
some of the changes...

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 12 2014, 06:28 PM) *

To me, it's a $5-6K car. Check for rust or it will be an expensive car no matter what you get it for. The spray bombed trunks would turn me off. If it has carbs, chances are the engine will have issues or not be quite "right".

Why, oh why, do people do that to the trunks? It's just plain ugly and huge red flag.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 13 2014, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 12 2014, 06:28 PM) *

Why, oh why, do people do that to the trunks? It's just plain ugly and huge red flag.

Its done to deceive and hide. Cover up everything cheaply so the bad stuff doesn't show. And in the process becomes equally bad in a different sort of way.

You guys are far more generous in evaluation than me.

I wouldn't be interested in it for even 4.000, but then I have been known to be a bit Scotch. Because I am......( in both spirit and nationality )

The things is, with the blight in both trunks, this car would never be something I would have an interest in. Factor in any hidden surprises that always come to the surface, and it is merely a shiny driver. Something to drive while the good one is preserved. Frankly, I would be a bit embarrassed to be seen even showing an interest in it, let alone driving it.

Sorry for being so blunt. In a way, it really kind of offends me, that so many hideous things have been done, it has now become registered as a bit "off the chart". The guys who created this monstrosity deserve some equal treatment.

Maybe a day at the Spa of Sh!t.....
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 12 2014, 03:51 PM) *

Two things I see that do not look right.
The engine compartment has the resister for a 1.8l Fi engine that was not available until 74. The gas tank has a plastic expansion tank and it should be steel with a charcoal canister filter on the drivers side. Did you check the engine code? Not a bad looking car but not highly original.
Bruce

Sounds like expert feedback to me! blink.gif
SirAndy
Rear trunk floor has been replaced (or covered up) and if my eyes aren't failing me, i see pop-rivets in there!
icon8.gif
beech4rd
I think there is a line of pop rivets in the trunk. They're probably the attachments for the heat shield above the muffler. Does this car have two Targa tops- one red and shiny and a conventional black one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.