Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alarming
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
Getting to the point of having a project car hit the road.

Don't want it to disappear....

Any views on good, basic theft alarms, with immobilizers.....

Thanks
bulitt
Hidden switch to the positive side of the coil
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 30 2014, 06:55 PM) *

Hidden switch to the positive side of the coil

That is what I had on my 914 when I lived in apartments in late 70's. Cheap and easy to do.
MrHyde
What sort of switch would you use to do that ? What amp capacity on the switch?
Porsche930dude
i dont think a basic alarm is very effective these days but certainly better than nothing. Id be much more comfortable with some sort of gps tracing device
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(MrHyde @ Mar 30 2014, 08:22 PM) *

What sort of switch would you use to do that ? What amp capacity on the switch?

I use a basic toggle switch. Don't remember the amp capacity. Maybe an expert on this forum can help. biggrin.gif
914_8
I use a master kill switch on all my cars. But, in all reality if "they" want it bad enough they will get it. So I make sure all my toys/vehicles are properly insured.
damesandhotrods
Kill switches, fuel line locks, there are lots of things that you can do to detour amateurs. But if a pro wants your car they won’t slow them down.
TheCabinetmaker
Quick release steering wheel
speed metal army
The real question is which car is wrapping up? idea.gif Battery disconnect is easy and also discourages the magic smoke, but theres got to be a cool setup with GPS etc.
Cheers! beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 30 2014, 07:18 PM) *

Quick release steering wheel

I like this too, plus you can work under the dash easier. Second, I like Hagerty's full coverage for the agreed amount. That way you don't get screwed twice.
porbmw
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 30 2014, 07:20 PM) *

The real question is which car is wrapping up? idea.gif Battery disconnect is easy and also discourages the magic smoke, but theres got to be a cool setup with GPS etc.
Cheers! beerchug.gif

The answer to the real question is Porsche related...but NARP...(I have considered teeners to be real Porsches..so not a teener...) Will let you be the judge of whether it is worthy of an alarm...but will be a couple of months, at least. (the 6 is getting wet sanded, will get lids on etc, but won't see the road this year...just too many little details and an engine redo..
Had forgotten about GPS...will look into that..my main goal is deterrence. Start with a Club, then a kill switch...and add an immobilizer, the latter is mainly for security, but also it gets a significant discount on insurance.

Will keep checking things out...any suggestions re preferred product are appreciated.
Thanks, all...
R8CERX
QUOTE(porbmw @ Mar 30 2014, 09:20 PM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 30 2014, 07:20 PM) *

Cheers! beerchug.gif

The answer to the real question is Porsche related...but NARP...(I have considered teeners to be real Porsches..so not a teener...) Will let you be the judge of whether it is worthy of an alarm...but will be a couple of months, at least. (the 6 is getting wet sanded, will get lids on etc, but won't see the road this year...just too many little details and an engine redo..
Had forgotten about GPS...will look into that..my main goal is deterrence. Start with a Club, then a kill switch...and add an immobilizer, the latter is mainly for security, but also it gets a significant discount on insurance.

Will keep checking things out...any suggestions re preferred product are appreciated.
Thanks, all...

ar15.gif

shot gun..... ...put a string attached to the back of car via a pulley--when they drive away, it will go off--puff! confused24.gif

Kill switch to gas pump... is nice...
hidden of course
bulitt
Wasn't there a Group Buy for Lojack?
bulitt
Yes- Lojack GB Thread

297$
porbmw
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 31 2014, 03:57 AM) *

I'd forgotten about this service....not why....perhaps just losing touch....although I am kindof afraid it doesn't provide coverage up here in the Great White North.

Is a great idea...will give them a call, see if they care about us f'rners....
Dr Evil
I would still like to see a cheap cell phone used with GPS tracking installed. Maybe do this myself some day.
computers4kids
A 901 transmission with a blank shift ball...LOL, thieves will never get it out of your garage.
speed metal army
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 1 2014, 08:33 PM) *

A 901 transmission with a blank shift ball...LOL, thieves will never get it out of your garage.

Ha! Truly! Heaven help em if its a tail shifter! biggrin.gif
Cmon Paul! Spill it! What the mystery NARP?
porbmw
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Apr 1 2014, 09:05 PM) *

Hey Speed.....Can't spill it....I already have no credibility regarding finishing projects....and am such a luddite I don't even know how to load photos....and photos would be needed to describe the project. I bought it a few years ago, with most of the work done...it will still be a 10 or 20 footer when I'm done, but it will at least be back on the road. It won't be show...it may be scoffed at....but probably won't be forgotten......

It puts a smile on my face when I take a look at it...will see if it gets your ridicule, or a smile...it won't compete with your teener, but is related in a couple of ways....

I'll see if I can make sure that you are the first world member (apart from Jake, who is doing the talent work on getting the thing tidied up_) to see it...and scorn me, if you feel like it.
speed metal army
QUOTE(porbmw @ Apr 1 2014, 09:26 PM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Apr 1 2014, 09:05 PM) *

Hey Speed.....Can't spill it....I already have no credibility regarding finishing projects....and am such a luddite I don't even know how to load photos....and photos would be needed to describe the project. I bought it a few years ago, with most of the work done...it will still be a 10 or 20 footer when I'm done, but it will at least be back on the road. It won't be show...it may be scoffed at....but probably won't be forgotten......

It puts a smile on my face when I take a look at it...will see if it gets your ridicule, or a smile...it won't compete with your teener, but is related in a couple of ways....

I'll see if I can make sure that you are the first world member (apart from Jake, who is doing the talent work on getting the thing tidied up_) to see it...and scorn me, if you feel like it.

Oh c'mon! I did recently buy a 951 as you know.. That's NARP to most! No scorn to be delivered here, I'm on your side. What is this thing? idea.gif
Its probably cool. beer.gif
Figure out a final plan for alarming it?
porbmw
Oh c'mon! I did recently buy a 951 as you know.. That's NARP to most! No scorn to be delivered here, I'm on your side. What is this thing? idea.gif
Its probably cool. beer.gif
Figure out a final plan for alarming it?
[/quote]

I know you bought a 951...I LIKE them....
This is a bit of a different kind of thing...you actually are, in a sense, somewhat on track with that comment...a long shot, but will leave it at that.
Haven't sorted out the alarm thing yet..also working on wipers, gauges, heater, etc...
Will leave it at that....
ConeDodger
I organized the group buy for LoJack. So, I got it on both my 914 and my 240Z. I hope I never need it but it's a hell of a lot better peace of mind than an alarm people have conditioned themselves to ignore! dry.gif dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.