Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning up engine case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
Have any if you sanded out the exterior case imperfections on your motors? There are quite a few casting imperfections and rough spots on our engine cases. They bug me a bit. I'm thinking of sanding them out for a smooth finish. Maybe I'm anal about this stuff. I can't be the only one. Any thoughts about this?
Michael RD
I'm doing the top of mine ,between the tins at the intakes and from the rear trans. flange foreward to the dist.hole and the oil filler / breather tower. Its polishing up pretty nice & will be another engine compartment hilight. -Someday. Only doing what can be seen tho. Dremel paddle sander and polishing wheels work well. shades.gif
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Michael RD @ Mar 30 2014, 06:57 PM) *

I'm doing the top of mine ,between the tins at the intakes and from the rear trans. flange foreward to the dist.hole and the oil filler / breather tower. Its polishing up pretty nice & will be another engine compartment hilight. -Someday. Only doing what can be seen tho. Dremel paddle sander and polishing wheels work well. shades.gif

Cool! So I'm not the only one! I plan to do it exactly as you are Michael. I think others must do it because so many engines case tops I see on here look nice and clean. I just couldn't find any topics on this. I gave two 914's and 3 extra engine cases and none have had this done to them. Do you have any pictures of your progress Michael?
Michael RD
Sorry Wolfe, no pics yet. The cases (1.8) are split and still filthy. I drilled and tapped a header plug that looked questionable, polished the upper area as I described so I'm not grinding /drilling on it after cleaning. I plan on carbs as I'm not real big on injection and this area will be seen clearly. I think it will look great with the silver Imron engine compartment and other details. I'll likely clear coat it after engine assembly and final polish. Engine tin, I'm thinking gray or a contrasting silver shade. The car is black and will have yellow trim - a wanna-bee (o.e. body was silver). Projects stalled for lack of cubic dollars. mad.gif
I think most if us have been down that road. Once you've cleaned up the exterior - switch to the interior of the case...this whole thing / process is usually called " blue printing "
Good luck with your build
wndsnd
lol-2.gif av-943.gif
lonewolfe
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Mar 30 2014, 08:32 PM) *

lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Ok, what's so funny? The blueprinting comment?
wndsnd
Actually the whole thread.

It is really easy to get carried away with projects and find yourself fretting over minute details, but once your behind the wheel and driving the crap out of it, nothing matters but the smile on your face.

I enjoy looking at the concours cars like everyone else but when I look under the hood of my car my eyes are not drawn to case imperfections. I'm looking for oil leaks and rods sticking out the side. biggrin.gif

John
mepstein
The case is pretty well hidden under the engine time and FI parts but whatever floats your boat.
Michael RD
For me the" smile on my face " comes from doing the best job I possably can ,and that includes astethics and attention to detail in a somewhat hi degree. For me looking into an engine compartment and seeing decades of filth ,the wiring attempts of the last five owners, and the glue remains of an insulator pad on the firewall is unthinkable, no matter how well it runs

I personally am not intrested in concours. Predictable cars and ltd. option packages. I'm drawn to the customs. If a person wants to have a subaru engine or a Porsche hood crest, or polished cases, do what pleases you! All IMHO.
confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.