Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 on COSMOS tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrholland2
Yup, there it was in the last few minutes. Snowy New York scene, looked to be yellow pre-1975 with vanity plates PHOBOS. Perhaps was to have been Carl Sagan's ride?

Just interesting.
Eric_Shea
It was his car.
mrholland2
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 30 2014, 10:14 PM) *

It was his car.

Yeah? Cool. So, who has it preserved etc? Just curious.
VegasRacer
phobos
mrholland2
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 30 2014, 10:29 PM) *

phobos

Yup, I Found that pic. This scene was filmed "today" so my question was . . since Andy says that's Carl's car, who is the caretaker? Just curious.

I also found a nifty piece in Hemmings pitting a 914-6 against a same era Dino. . . kinda fun.
914werke
and a squareback! Pretty cool.
R8CERX
piratenanner.gif

I am such a huge fan of Carl- Sagan!!

Glad that he was a teener!!!

If I could only understand all that stuff about dark matter..... I thought it was elbow grease... oh well!!

blink.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Mar 30 2014, 10:39 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

If I could only understand all that stuff about dark matter..... I thought it was elbow grease... oh well!!

blink.gif

Well, watch the new version of COSMOS. . pretty nifty
R8CERX
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Mar 30 2014, 10:40 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

blink.gif

I say that his car would be a nice car to own just for him owning it--who has it now?

do you guys think that it his car would fetch good dough just for the relationship?

if so, would it not the square back next to it as well?

Not sure if everyone cares about him like the Nerd crowd like me.... curious what the peanut gallery will say?

confused24.gif
MichaelB
I never knew that, thanks for posting. I was interested in the his custom plate:
PHOBOS is addition to being a moon of Mars is depicted as,according to Wikipedia:

"Depictions:

Hesiod depicts Phobos on the shield of Heracles as "…staring backwards with eyes that glowed with fire. His mouth was full of teeth in a white row, fearful and daunting…" (Atsma) and again later during a war scene as being "…eager to plunge amidst the fighting men," (Atsma).

Interesting!
bandjoey
Any journalists in our ranks?

In interest of a story the DMV might give up the vin number matching the custom plates.

Qarl
I bet it's worth billions and billions of dollars.

QUOTE(R8CERX @ Mar 31 2014, 02:00 AM) *

piratenanner.gif

blink.gif

I say that his car would be a nice car to own just for him owning it--who has it now?

do you guys think that it his car would fetch good dough just for the relationship?

Not sure if everyone cares about him like the Nerd crowd like me.... curious what the peanut gallery will say?

confused24.gif

Van
Is there a way to watch Cosmos online?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Van @ Mar 31 2014, 09:34 AM) *

Is there a way to watch Cosmos online?

Try here. http://www.hulu.com/cosmos-a-spacetime-odyssey
R8CERX
Nice!
biggrin.gif
QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 31 2014, 09:03 AM) *

I bet it's worth billions and billions of dollars.

QUOTE(R8CERX @ Mar 31 2014, 02:00 AM) *

piratenanner.gif

blink.gif

confused24.gif

hblyle
His son talks about it in his blog.
http://nicksagan.blogs.com/nick_sagan_onli...006/12/dad.html
Eric_Shea
It's actually this car:

IPB Image

We had to remove the old warp drive and all of the anti-gravity pods on each corner (hidden in the late model bumper update). It was spewing radioactive waste all over the shop (had Lil Erc tackle that one) Phobos huh? More like Chernobyl...

Anywhoo... we'll be bringing it back to it's former glory (via transporter, it' so much easier to simply have Sherman set the wayback machine than to have Scotty "B"ondo the crap out of it)
johannes
Maybe you can ask his son ...

http://nicksagan.blogs.com/nick_sagan_onli...006/12/dad.html

stugray
Too bad Carl is no longer with us.

Based on recent Passed Legislation in Colorado, he would have moved here in a second! smoke.gif
JamesM
I didnt even catch the 914 but i did see the "PHOBOS" plate flash on the screen and was all nerd excited because i knew what it was from.

Wonder if this had anything to do with the plate Carl put on the car:

"Phobos was discovered by astronomer Asaph Hall on 18 August 1877, at the United States Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C., at about 09:14 Greenwich Mean Time"
bulitt
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 31 2014, 09:26 PM) *

It's actually this car:

IPB Image

We had to remove the old warp drive and all of the anti-gravity pods on each corner (hidden in the late model bumper update). It was spewing radioactive waste all over the shop (had Lil Erc tackle that one) Phobos huh? More like Chernobyl...

Anywhoo... we'll be bringing it back to it's former glory (via transporter, it' so much easier to simply have Sherman set the wayback machine than to have Scotty "B"ondo the crap out of it)

Earth to Eric...over.
racunniff
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 31 2014, 09:21 AM) *

In interest of a story the DMV might give up the vin number matching the custom plates.

I'm not a journalist, but... here is the story as I got it from another mailing list (a 914 EV list I'm on):

http://914electric.wordpress.com/2014/03/3...mic-connection/

A 914 EV Cameo on Fox’s Cosmos

Following one particular Saturday morning run on the beach and breakfast with my pal Fordy, I returned to find this handwritten note under the wiper blade of my 914EV:
I called the number on the business card, and connected with Seth Reed, who introduced himself as a film and television Production Designer. He explained that the “science documentary” mentioned in the note was the National Geographic/Fox remake of Carl Sagan’s Cosmos, hosted by the great science communicator, PBS Nova host, and director of the Hayden Planetarium, Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Click the link for the complete story (including artistic license on the location of the 914 engine)
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(racunniff @ Apr 2 2014, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 31 2014, 09:21 AM) *

I'm not a journalist, but... here is the story as I got it from another mailing list (a 914 EV list I'm on):

http://914electric.wordpress.com/2014/03/3...mic-connection/

A 914 EV Cameo on Fox’s Cosmos

Following one particular Saturday morning run on the beach and breakfast with my pal Fordy, I returned to find this handwritten note under the wiper blade of my 914EV:
I called the number on the business card, and connected with Seth Reed, who introduced himself as a film and television Production Designer. He explained that the “science documentary” mentioned in the note was the National Geographic/Fox remake of Carl Sagan’s Cosmos, hosted by the great science communicator, PBS Nova host, and director of the Hayden Planetarium, Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Click the link for the complete story (including artistic license on the location of the 914 engine)

Very cool & informative cool_shades.gif
SHREK914
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Mar 30 2014, 10:33 PM) *

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 30 2014, 10:29 PM) *

phobos

Yup, I Found that pic. This scene was filmed "today" so my question was . . since Andy says that's Carl's car, who is the caretaker? Just curious.

I also found a nifty piece in Hemmings pitting a 914-6 against a same era Dino. . . kinda fun.

The 914 that was in the new Cosmos episode was not Carl's car. It was a stand in car, different color yellow and it is fully electric. The owner posted a thread about it in a 914 group on FaceBook
stugray
Just out of curiosity.... Does anyone know who bought Carl Sagan's car?

IPB Image

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/porsche/1...ar-classic.html

It was just last year it sold in Fla.
I would be interested to find out if it was anyone on here.
914forme
The exact reason the plate was PHOBOS got to love nerd humor, most people would stretch their heads to find the connection.
IronHillRestorations
I communicated with his son, and he didn't have any idea what happened to his Dad's 914
7TPorsh
Interesting it looks like a black plate but should be blue. No personalized plates in black at the time.

Also any idea what the stickers are on the back?
JoeDees
I'd pay good money for that car.
dlkawashima
Here's the old ebay ad for the Florida car ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-1...=true&rt=nc

Story about not having a title for the 914 seems a little sketchy. If I were interested in the car I'd probably try to contact Carl Sagan's widow and see if any old vehicle registration slips, or any old document that verified the car's VIN are still in her possession.
mgphoto
ok so which one is it the slant nose brown of the black repaint?
Old Yella
Looking at the ebay pics a lot of Carl's car has entered the black hole.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 9 2017, 04:17 PM) *

ok so which one is it the slant nose brown of the black repaint?

The slant nose is a big bumper car ... that's not the 914 Carl Sagan is leaning against in the photo. And the proof for the black car ... the letter ... doesn't prove provenance in any meaningful way. So unless better documentation surfaces, I'd say neither.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.