Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Impressions, Sebring Turn 17, and Florida chatter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Seabird
After five months of toiling over my 914 in preparation for this past weekend it finally came. With the exception of taking it once around the block in my assessing the purchase and once around as a final check before going out on track Saturdays first session, on a wet track, was the first time I have driven this bad boy.

My first impressions on the final check drive was just how sharp and fast the steering is. Much sharper than the Alfa Spiders I have had and my GTV. I know the comparison is often made but the best comparison is that of the go-kart. A comparison I never really understood till now. Much like the go-kart, the 914 rotates with the slightest input from the steering wheel. Very little steering input is needed to achieve the desired directional change.

The first session was a wash. Literally. The track was wet from rain the night before. I went into a 4 wheel drift going around turn 15 on the pace lap. That was rather embarrassing. Its the one off camber turn in Sebring. In the e30 I can get pretty aggressive there. It must be a physics thing. After a few laps I heard a strange noise from the engine bay so I decided to pit. One of my air filter lids had worked loose and was flopping around in the fan shroud!! Miraculously it did not brake anything though the bolt was missing blink.gif

By the time the second session came around the track had dried off significantly. I was able to get a good session in and knock off the rust that had developed in the last 6 months since my last track event. I missed a few shifts both in the up and down directions but I managed not to blow anything up in the process. I felt the car was not as planted as it should be so I made a note to try lower tire pressure. Again half way through I had to pit with a mechanical issue. Driver side throttle linkage had vibrated loose and I was only opening up the right carb. A little dab of loctite solved this but the remainder of the day way rained out (for me). Mental note: at the very least buy and keep wiper blades handy.

The ugliness of Saturday disappeared with the setting sun and we were grace with an amazing Sunday. I had dropped my tire pressure a few psi (30>28 cold) on Saturday and the difference was immediately notice. I had planned to drop the tire pressure down a few more psi; under braking the car still felt a bit squirmy. The car and I were more in sync and I felt I put in a much improve run. No lap timer on board yet but the video would later show in at least one lap were I was only cruising on the back straight I dropped my best lap time, from the e30, by 2 seconds. My confidence was certainly up.

Second session was much the same. I really felt comfortable in the car and was having a blast driving it around. Turn 15 caught me off guard again but I managed to keep it pointing straight. My over revving (it certainly wants to pull beyond 6.5k), miss shifts, and other bad things started to disappear as I became more comfortable in the car. Unfortunately this turned out to be my last run. About half way through I started to get a fuel starvation issue. Felt the same as when the bolt came loose on the linkage. So once again I limped in, idling around the track.

I tried to figure out what was wrong but got no where fast. In the end I suspect some of the laquored gas the was left in the tank worked loose and found its way to the internal screen and reduced the available flow.

So my driving was done for the weekend and I was left wanting more. In the end I was happy I was able to get out there despite all my set backs in getting the car ready. I am thrilled with the driving experience offered by the 914-4 and am super energized to continue to develop it.

I should have pictures to post tomorrow, just waiting on digital delivery from the photographer.

Here is a video from the first session on the second day. Notice how I am able to real in the high power cars in the turns shades.gif

Sebring Session 3

It was great to meet two other forum members, Shane and Joe. And it was great to see them in their teeners out there looping!!

Miguel
ChrisFoley
It looks like you're off to a good start!
beerchug.gif
ablesnead
NICE JOB ! ....17 must be one of the most vague turns in road racing....my best times were when I used it as part of the front straight...you and Shane ..work for a turn in off the back straight that lets you get on the gas sooner..turn one is passing heaven for the bold .. I envy you guys!
tooms351
Wow Migel, didnt know you were haing trouble, theres always something to fix. My battery broke loose and was throwing acid on the header for a run, I wont forget that smell, and wont think its the cars ahead of me either!
Seabird
QUOTE(tooms351 @ Apr 1 2014, 04:03 AM) *

Wow Migel, didnt know you were haing trouble, theres always something to fix. My battery broke loose and was throwing acid on the header for a run, I wont forget that smell, and wont think its the cars ahead of me either!

Yeah it was growing pains. Natural byproduct of pulling a car out of someones shed from an 8 year slumber.

Shane was telling me about that. Glad it did not stop your day. It was sure nice to see you lapping out there.

Miguel
Seabird
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Mar 31 2014, 08:12 PM) *

NICE JOB ! ....17 must be one of the most vague turns in road racing....my best times were when I used it as part of the front straight...you and Shane ..work for a turn in off the back straight that lets you get on the gas sooner..turn one is passing heaven for the bold .. I envy you guys!

I did not get stones up to take turn 17 hot before I started having fueling problems. Turn 1 I was up to my regular speed pretty quickly and I am certain there is a whole lot more there with the 914.

Can't wait till June!!

Miguel
Jetsetsurfshop
Nice video Miguel. You weren't exaggerating about that red BMW. WTF.gif
Your car looked good to me. Fuel problems must have been later in the day.
See you in June.
Shane
Seabird
As promised some pics of the 914 circling!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

There are a few more here in a web album:

Sebring 3_14 No.31
Jetsetsurfshop
Are those from AWOL? They look nice.
Shane
carr914
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Apr 1 2014, 12:12 AM) *

I probably have more than 10,000 Laps at Sebring. Turn 17 has a 1,000 different Lines and it will be debated for Decades which is the Best One. It is a Multi Apex Turn that is very Bumpy. It really depends on the type of car you are driving. An Open Wheel Car can hug the Inside, but it is extremely Bumpy there and any other can't do it unless you were set-up just for that one corner (which would be foolish).
Some cars can go wide, middle etc. The Other thing to think about because you will experience so many lines, it is easy to Pass people with less experience later.

I take 911s different than I do 914s. I think I have an ideal line for a 914 (ask ThePaintedMan) but I would need to show you.
carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Apr 10 2014, 07:21 PM) *

Shane

Eric from AWOL is a good friend of mine. I've known him since he was a little kid.

Click to view attachment
ablesnead
T. C. give it up !...while probably not 10,000 laps I've got more than a few..with some significant finishes....both Porsche and otherwise and I don't know a good line yet for the 914 track car I'm putting together....help a brother out.....sketch it...I'll darn sure try out .
ablesnead
Oops ! sorry for the hijack Miguel .
Seabird
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Apr 10 2014, 07:11 PM) *

Oops ! sorry for the hijack Miguel .

No worries.
Seabird
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Apr 10 2014, 03:21 PM) *

Shane

Yeah there Eric's. He makes a hell of an effort for us. I think NASA did well switching to AWOL.

Miguel

Seabird
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 10 2014, 05:32 PM) *

I probably have more than 10,000 Laps at Sebring. Turn 17 has a 1,000 different Lines and it will be debated for Decades which is the Best One. It is a Multi Apex Turn that is very Bumpy. It really depends on the type of car you are driving. An Open Wheel Car can hug the Inside, but it is extremely Bumpy there and any other can't do it unless you were set-up just for that one corner (which would be foolish).
Some cars can go wide, middle etc. The Other thing to think about because you will experience so many lines, it is easy to Pass people with less experience later.

I take 911s different than I do 914s. I think I have an ideal line for a 914 (ask ThePaintedMan) but I would need to show you.

I am actually interested in hearing your take on turn 17 too. Maybe we should start another thread, T.C. Turn 17 wisdom!

wink.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Seabird @ Apr 11 2014, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Apr 10 2014, 03:21 PM) *

Shane

Yeah there Eric's. He makes a hell of an effort for us. I think NASA did well switching to AWOL.

Miguel

Those photos look great. I'm ordering mine tonight. There's some good ones of me and Joe on 16. I signed up for Chin April 26-27th. I can't get enough driving.gif time!
Shane
Seabird
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Apr 11 2014, 03:08 PM) *

Those photos look great. I'm ordering mine tonight. There's some good ones of me and Joe on 16. I signed up for Chin April 26-27th. I can't get enough driving.gif time!
Shane

Funny I was just going to write to you about that. Registering now. beerchug.gif

Seems like Chin has a good deal with track time for dollar and a lot of events.

Finishing up the fuel cell install this weekend.

Miguel

carr914
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Apr 10 2014, 11:08 PM) *

T. C. give it up !...while probably not 10,000 laps I've got more than a few..with some significant finishes....both Porsche and otherwise and I don't know a good line yet for the 914 track car I'm putting together....help a brother out.....sketch it...I'll darn sure try out .

QUOTE(Seabird @ Apr 11 2014, 11:43 AM) *

I am actually interested in hearing your take on turn 17 too. Maybe we should start another thread, T.C. Turn 17 wisdom!

wink.gif

OK, OK!

Here is a Go-Pro Video from last year with George (ThePaintedMan) Driving and me instrucing. I think this was the 2nd or 3rd Session of the Day, so George had listened to my Line Instructions. Now George's Old Engine was running like SuperCrap that day so we had no speed (which is actually good for learning lines). I searched for this Video but didn't review the Whole thing again).

I will tell you that George's 1st lap thru 17 is pretty much on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBh7ZDJuJyI

As you are coming down the long BackStretch, I don't really Brake at the Brake Cones at all. I lift off the Gas at about the 1st Brake Cone, lightly Brush the Brakes and do a Downshift between the 2nd & 3rd Brake Cones, then dive to the Inside Concrete Wall to make a Straight Line for about a 100 Yards. Here is where I Brake Harder (but threshold), shift into 3rd and Turn. You then can arc out getting the Apex without playing the wheel except for the Bumps.
ablesnead
Thanks for that...I get it..pretty much my old GTU line...except the 911 had the beans to oversteer rotate for the 100 yard dash to the wall and the stick to get on the gas and stay there till one . Good job George, your car sure made the turns seem far apart that day ..Thanks for sharing T C
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 11 2014, 04:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ablesnead @ Apr 10 2014, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Seabird @ Apr 11 2014, 11:43 AM) *

wink.gif

OK, OK!

Here is a Go-Pro Video from last year with George (ThePaintedMan) Driving and me instrucing. I think this was the 2nd or 3rd Session of the Day, so George had listened to my Line Instructions. Now George's Old Engine was running like SuperCrap that day so we had no speed (which is actually good for learning lines). I searched for this Video but didn't review the Whole thing again).

I will tell you that George's 1st lap thru 17 is pretty much on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBh7ZDJuJyI

As you are coming down the long BackStretch, I don't really Brake at the Brake Cones at all. I lift off the Gas at about the 1st Brake Cone, lightly Brush the Brakes and do a Downshift between the 2nd & 3rd Brake Cones, then dive to the Inside Concrete Wall to make a Straight Line for about a 100 Yards. Here is where I Brake Harder (but threshold), shift into 3rd and Turn. You then can arc out getting the Apex without playing the wheel except for the Bumps.

No highjack intended here guys. How do you post a video like this?
Shane
carr914
Shane, do you mean put a YouTube Video Straight to the Post?

Easy, Peasy!

On the YouTube Page of any video there is a Share Button - Click That. It will give you Box with a Link - don't use that, but instead right above that will be an Embed Button - Click That. That will give you a Box different Link - Copy That One.

Then on your 914World Post

Type in

[ ] with youtube in the middle

then Paste your YouTube Video - I cut all but the Embed Link Code, usually a combonation of 11 letters & numbers

then Type in

[ ] this time with /youtube in the middle

That will Embed it in your Post
Seabird

Thanks T.C. Your line sounds pretty close to what I "try" to do. A couple questions if you don't mind.

1. When you lift at the first cone what speed do you estimate your doing?

2. Using the big bump a mid turn as a reference are you inside or outside when you are arcing through 17? I know there is a lot of bumps but there is one particularly big one.

3. At track out, how close are you to the outside tire wall? A lot of folks say if your not tracking out to the tires your leaving speed on the table.

Thanks,

Miguel
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 12 2014, 05:21 AM) *

Shane, do you mean put a YouTube Video Straight to the Post?

Easy, Peasy!

On the YouTube Page of any video there is a Share Button - Click That. It will give you Box with a Link - don't use that, but instead right above that will be an Embed Button - Click That. That will give you a Box different Link - Copy That One.

Then on your 914World Post

Type in

[ ] with youtube in the middle

then Paste your YouTube Video - I cut all but the Embed Link Code, usually a combonation of 11 letters & numbers

then Type in

[ ] this time with /youtube in the middle

That will Embed it in your Post

My teenage staff just showed me how, I'm such a noob blink.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Seabird @ Apr 12 2014, 09:26 AM) *

Thanks T.C. Your line sounds pretty close to what I "try" to do. A couple questions if you don't mind.

1. When you lift at the first cone what speed do you estimate your doing?

2. Using the big bump a mid turn as a reference are you inside or outside when you are arcing through 17? I know there is a lot of bumps but there is one particularly big one.

3. At track out, how close are you to the outside tire wall? A lot of folks say if your not tracking out to the tires your leaving speed on the table.

Thanks,

Miguel

#1 - Depends on the Car. George's Car was way down on Power - I bet we were doing about 75. In my 914-6 2.5 Twin-Plug, I would say about 125 (due to the Gearing). If I was in a Higher Speed Car (a GT2RS), I would Brush the Brakes a bit more, but still do the same entry - the rest of the line would be different.

#2 - There are a bunch of Bumps there - tough to say, but there is a Black Mark (it might be Expansive Sealer) where Slabs of Concrete come together. That is about mt Turn in and I'm just inside it.

#3 - Most of the time, probably 10-15 from the wall. If you are on a Bonzai Speed Lap, you be close to the Wall. But you have to be careful, as there is a lot of clag & dirt build-up the closer you get to wall - you get on those marbles and you can slide & pancake the wall. How close you get is determined by your Turn-In and Steering Angle (& Bumps). Obviously you are on it, but if you master the Apex (which is very tough) you aren't drifting towards the wall, just using the Track.

The other problem with 17 is when you are mixing it up with other cars. Remember there a 1,000 different lines and chances are they aren't using the one you are on. It is very easy to follow somebody else's line - I've seen one car follow another right into the tire wall etc.right before the bridge with no contact between the cars. Then you have the Dive-Bombers, The Cars that are coming into the Pits
Jetsetsurfshop

The other problem with 17 is when you are mixing it up with other cars. Remember there a 1,000 different lines and chances are they aren't using the one you are on. It is very easy to follow somebody else's line - I've seen one car follow another right into the tire wall etc.right before the bridge with no contact between the cars. Then you have the Dive-Bombers, The Cars that are coming into the Pits

Don't follow anyone on there line. Turn 17 will get you!!
agree.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Seabird @ Apr 11 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Shane

Funny I was just going to write to you about that. Registering now. beerchug.gif

Miguel

I missed this post somehow.
Come and join me and hope for great weather.
Shane
Seabird
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Apr 12 2014, 06:15 AM) *

Shane

Miguel

Shane

I just realized this am committed to roasting a pig that day headbang.gif Going to register for June 7th instead. Planning on going to that one?

Miguel
Seabird
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 12 2014, 05:46 AM) *

#1 - Depends on the Car. George's Car was way down on Power - I bet we were doing about 75. In my 914-6 2.5 Twin-Plug, I would say about 125 (due to the Gearing). If I was in a Higher Speed Car (a GT2RS), I would Brush the Brakes a bit more, but still do the same entry - the rest of the line would be different.

#2 - There are a bunch of Bumps there - tough to say, but there is a Black Mark (it might be Expansive Sealer) where Slabs of Concrete come together. That is about mt Turn in and I'm just inside it.

#3 - Most of the time, probably 10-15 from the wall. If you are on a Bonzai Speed Lap, you be close to the Wall. But you have to be careful, as there is a lot of clag & dirt build-up the closer you get to wall - you get on those marbles and you can slide & pancake the wall. How close you get is determined by your Turn-In and Steering Angle (& Bumps). Obviously you are on it, but if you master the Apex (which is very tough) you aren't drifting towards the wall, just using the Track.

#1 Roger that.

#2 You mean this one?:
IPB Image

#3 Roger, roger.

Yeah its a stones turn for sure. Such a fun track!

Thanks for the pointers. Would like to get a ride a long one day if your up for it.

Miguel
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Seabird @ Apr 12 2014, 06:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Apr 12 2014, 06:15 AM) *

Shane

Miguel

Shane

I just realized this am committed to roasting a pig that day headbang.gif Going to register for June 7th instead. Planning on going to that one?

Miguel

Kids get out of school that weekend. Ill have to see when it that weekend gets closer. June 21-22 NASA for sure. You?
Anyone else??
Shane
Seabird
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Apr 12 2014, 07:14 AM) *

Kids get out of school that weekend. Ill have to see when it that weekend gets closer. June 21-22 NASA for sure. You?
Anyone else??
Shane

Yeah Nasa for sure. Will talk to Luis maybe he'll bump me to group 3 so we can lap together.
tooms351
I just got Sunday off from work, gonna sign up for Chin! Can't believe its not sold out.
ThePaintedMan
Honored that TC thought the video was good enough to use as an example.

I think his advice is spot on as usual and logical. T17 has different lines, much of it dictated by the type of car being driven. This is something that a lot of the instructors at the PCA miss because they focus so much on 911s.

I really like TC's line as a starting point for any car though, as it allows any car a simpler turn in, so whether you have a really high power front engined monster or a FWD Civic, it gives you less to worry about. Transition off the throttle, point the car and then brake in a straight line, also effectively lengthening out the back stretch and maximizing the amount of time on the throttle. If you've turned in and are braking in a straight line, then the bumps and the wall aren't as scary. Then the second apex becomes the point just after the bridge where the grass meets the track.

Here is telemetry from my fast lap in Chumpcar last year. I was using the line that TC showed me, and although the GPS fidelity isn't great, you get a picture of what the line looks like.

carr914
QUOTE(Seabird @ Apr 12 2014, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 12 2014, 05:46 AM) *

#1 Roger that.

#2 You mean this one?:
IPB Image

#3 Roger, roger.

Yeah its a stones turn for sure. Such a fun track!

Thanks for the pointers. Would like to get a ride a long one day if your up for it.

Miguel

No - Farther towards the top left in the picture
Seabird
Bear with me here folks this is just how I learn, thanks.

T.C., I think this is the line you are describing based on your turn in at the expansion joint. If so it is definitely different from mine, I am going to have to try this next time. If it is there are some good reference points on the ground that can be used.

Arrows indicating turn in points.

IPB Image
carr914
QUOTE(Seabird @ Apr 14 2014, 10:07 AM) *

Bear with me here folks this is just how I learn, thanks.

T.C., I think this is the line you are describing based on your turn in at the expansion joint. If so it is definitely different from mine, I am going to have to try this next time. If it is there are some good reference points on the ground that can be used.

Arrows indicating turn in points.

IPB Image

Yep, that is it!

T.C.
Jetsetsurfshop
Hey Miguel,
You should change the title of this thread!
Shane
Jetsetsurfshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKpuO-mm8Io

Some turn 17 stuff with Harry Lap Timer.
driving.gif
Seabird
Your right this has certainly got away from the original post..I might need to learn how to change the thread title...

I like that clip from Harry's Lap Timer. They finally released it for Android; I am going to have to switch from Tracmaster.

Do you think you can post a few clips from turn 1? I would like to see your line and speed through there.

Miguel
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Seabird @ Apr 14 2014, 07:46 PM) *

Your right this has certainly got away from the original post..I might need to learn how to change the thread title...

I like that clip from Harry's Lap Timer. They finally released it for Android; I am going to have to switch from Tracmaster.

Do you think you can post a few clips from turn 1? I would like to see your line and speed through there.

Miguel

Harry works pretty good. It just makes me want to do a AIM system with a Smartycam!
I'll do a turn one video too. I feel its way more "straight forward" then 17. I have an issue with down shifting to forth and slowing down too much be for my turn-in point. You will see it in the video.
Shane
ThePaintedMan
Shane,
Ask TC to tell you his story about Hans Stuck and Turn 1 at Sebring. It's funny as hell.
carr914
OK, one year during the 12 Hours, it was either raining or getting Dark. They Black-Flagged Hans Stuck. When he came in, he was pissed because he knew he hadn't done anything wrong. He asked the IMSA Official what was wrong - IMSA told him his Brake Lights must be out because there were no lights coming on into Turn 1. He yelled, "Fuch You, I don't use Brakes in Turn One" and roared out of the Pits
ablesnead
I couldn't IMAGINE Stucky saying f=== .
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 15 2014, 04:46 PM) *

OK, one year during the 12 Hours, it was either raining or getting Dark. They Black-Flagged Hans Stuck. When he came in, he was pissed because he knew he hadn't done anything wrong. He asked the IMSA Official what was wrong - IMSA told him his Brake Lights must be out because there were no lights coming on into Turn 1. He yelled, "Fuch You, I don't use Brakes in Turn One" and roared out of the Pits

laugh.gif
I had to google Hans Stuck. I thought this was a "two guys walk into a bar" joke!
lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.