Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS_1.7 Clearanced Rockers_You can send me your rockers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Jesco Reient
1.7 Clearanced Rocker sets.

Thank You to everyone that bought the original group of parts, the second group of parts and to those that sent their own rockers for modification. I did all the sets I had, So now you can send me your rockers for modification. If your interested let me know. You'll have to supply your own good usable cores

These rockers have been clearanced for the adjustable swivel rocker feet, they are 0.391 (+/- .005) thick at the adjuster pad (Clearanced 0.100 inch). I have four sets that is all, I made this tooling for my own build and did a couple sets for a couple of others. I am offering these at 140.00 dollars a set plus shipping.

I had a Radiused Carbide cutter made to not put sharp cuts into the rocker.
IPB Image

The height was set and the tooling was used to cut each rocker to the same thickness. IPB Image

After cutting the rocker was ground and polished to relieve stress risers at the forge line.
IPB Image

Here is a close up of 4 of the 1.7 rockers
IPB Image

The 140.00 dollar price + shipping, Includes 1 set of clearanced rockers and stock rocker stands. Each set of rockers was originally from the same engine, so these rocker sets are not mashed together but lived together as an original engine set. There are no shafts or or spring type spacers because if you are going to use swivel feet adjusters you are going to use solid spacers and new shafts, and the larger rocker studs.
IPB Image

Since I have no idea what you are doing with these camshaft/spring rate etc. these parts are sold with no warranty.
Certified check prefered
John
E-mail me at BellCobraIV@AOL.com
HAM Inc
Beautiful work John!
I'll be curious to know how many you can do before the carbide has to be sharpened. That is some damn tough material!
'73-914kid
Those are very well machined, and that is an excellent way to fixture the arm in place while machining.. How come I never thought of that... confused24.gif

Wonderful work
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Apr 2 2014, 12:38 PM) *

Beautiful work John!
I'll be curious to know how many you can do before the carbide has to be sharpened. That is some damn tough material!

Len,
The tooling is still sharp enough I would think for two to three more sets, so that would make it six to seven sets, The material did not like plunging at all, but the method of coming in from the side was very forgiving. Probably would increase the total before sharpening the tooling to eight sets. Yes the material is Very damn tough!
Jesco Reient
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Apr 2 2014, 12:49 PM) *

Those are very well machined, and that is an excellent way to fixture the arm in place while machining.. How come I never thought of that... confused24.gif

Wonderful work

Thank You,
Jesco Reient
I have two sets left, if I answered your e-mail you are one of the two I'm counting as sold.

Thank you,
John
Jesco Reient
As of this evening I have one set left, and someone is sending a set of their own rockers for me to clearance.

Thank you everyone that has shown an interest in these. I am really proud of the way that they came out.

The charge that I came up with for clearancing a set sent to me is 90.00 plus shipping both ways.
jmalone
QUOTE(Jesco Reient @ Apr 3 2014, 07:24 PM) *

As of this evening I have one set left, and someone is sending a set of their own rockers for me to clearance.

Thank you everyone that has shown an interest in these. I am really proud of the way that they came out.

The charge that I came up with for clearancing a set sent to me is 90.00 plus shipping both ways.

John, pm'd you earlier I am in for a set if still available
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(jmalone @ Apr 5 2014, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Jesco Reient @ Apr 3 2014, 07:24 PM) *

John, pm'd you earlier I am in for a set if still available

I have a set with your name on them, PM works but the best contact is still through my BellCobraIV@AOL.com address. For everyone else that may be interested another person is sending me a set to do for them, so I will be taking in sets of rockers that are clean and undamaged in the area where the pushrod rides.
Jesco Reient
I have done 3 more sets, These are my last three sets of 1.7 rockers. If anyone is interested let me know.
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(Jesco Reient @ Apr 2 2014, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Apr 2 2014, 12:38 PM) *

Beautiful work John!

Len,
The tooling is still sharp enough I would think for two to three more sets, so that would make it six to seven sets, The material did not like plunging at all, but the method of coming in from the side was very forgiving. Probably would increase the total before sharpening the tooling to eight sets. Yes the material is Very damn tough!

Len,
The tooling did nine sets without issue, I can do one more set that is on it's way to the shop now, Then just to be safe the tooling will be out to be sharpened, no chips or disfigurement, just worn to the point of starting to be dull.
Jesco Reient
Bump
Lingcuisine
PM sent
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(Lingcuisine @ Apr 28 2014, 07:27 PM) *

PM sent

2 sets left
Jesco Reient
1 Set left

These were popular, I'm down to my last set of my core parts. After this set goes then I will only be able to do rockers supplied to me.

Thank You to everyone that bought them.
John
r3dplanet
PM sent

QUOTE(Jesco Reient @ May 1 2014, 02:56 PM) *

1 Set left

These were popular, I'm down to my last set of my core parts. After this set goes then I will only be able to do rockers supplied to me.

John

Jesco Reient
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ May 2 2014, 06:51 PM) *

PM sent

QUOTE(Jesco Reient @ May 1 2014, 02:56 PM) *

1 Set left

John

PM sent back to you.
Thanks
Jesco Reient
Once again a big thank you to all that bought the 1.7 Clearanced rockers.

All the sets are spoken for, If anybody has a set of 1.7 Rockers that they would like clearanced I'm going to be taking them in and when I get three to four sets clearancing them with a two week maximum turn around time. same 90.00 plus shipping.
Jesco Reient
I have had a recent inquiry regarding rocker clearancing. Yes, I'm still doing them.
John
914Sixer
I have a set that I need done. I will be sending a email to your address.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Jesco Reient @ Jul 13 2015, 02:34 PM) *

I have had a recent inquiry regarding rocker clearancing. Yes, I'm still doing them.
John

OT, but......
What are the reasons for using 1.7 rockers ?
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 13 2015, 04:28 PM) *

I have a set that I need done. I will be sending a email to your address.

Great,
I'll look for it!
John
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 13 2015, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Jesco Reient @ Jul 13 2015, 02:34 PM) *

John

OT, but......
What are the reasons for using 1.7 rockers ?

The stock 2.0 litre rockers have a thread that is smaller than the thread for the elephant swivel feet rocker arms. So to use the swivel feet rockers we need the larger threads.
John
Montreal914
The other way around...

2.0 rockers, M10
1.7 rockers, M8

Porsche 911 swivel feet, M8 smile.gif

1.7 rockers clearanced + 911 swivel feet smilie_pokal.gif
914Sixer
PM sent.
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 14 2015, 12:09 PM) *

The other way around...

2.0 rockers, M10
1.7 rockers, M8

Porsche 911 swivel feet, M8 smile.gif

1.7 rockers clearanced + 911 swivel feet smilie_pokal.gif

Yes,
I knew that in my post my brain went backwards.
Sorry.
John
Jesco Reient
Java2570, 914Sixer, KevinW,
I was out of the shop on a project for a few days, however I sent you all PMs or e-mails accordingly this morning. regarding shipping instructions. I look forward to being of service to you all.
John
Alphaogre
Can someone explain the benefit of doing this?

Just in case someone comes across this thread and doesn't completely under stand the benefit... biggrin.gif
Jesco Reient

Yes, The reason I got into clearancing the rocker arms is that this was in an engine I disassembled for a customer. Sometimes you see bent pusrods, but this was an eye opener that some guys were building their engines without checking anything for binding. I was surprised that the swivel foot adjuster had not been destroyed. I think the reason it survived was that it was adjusted hard out against the rocker arm body. Anyway Binding in an engine can destroy a lot of parts. the engine dropped two valves on this head and destroyed the head also. It was just ugly.

I have come here to make my services available to help as many guys out in a great hobby that I enjoy. This group has helped me, I try to give back.
Thank you all as always.
John

IPB Image
Jesco Reient
Also Clearanced with swivel feet or not clearanced and stock, rocker arm geometry is extremely important.
BillC
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jul 22 2015, 04:39 PM) *

Just in case someone comes across this thread and doesn't completely under stand the benefit... biggrin.gif

I think his question is "why use the swivel-foot adjusters", not "why do the clearancing". It's pretty obvious why you need to do the clearancing, just see the pic above. But, what benefit do you get by switching to those adjusters instead of just using the stock adjusters?
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 23 2015, 06:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jul 22 2015, 04:39 PM) *

I think his question is "why use the swivel-foot adjusters", not "why do the clearancing". It's pretty obvious why you need to do the clearancing, just see the pic above. But, what benefit do you get by switching to those adjusters instead of just using the stock adjusters?

OK, I can see how that could be the question. The mechanical action of the swivel foot or elephant foot adjuster reduces the side loading across the tip of the valve. This in turn reduces the wear on the guide from the "up and down/across the tip action of the valve adjuster. Your guides last longer, you usually have to shim the rocker stands around 0.125" and use longer pushrods, but you were going to check your rocker geometry anyway..........Right? They also are quieter than the stock adjusters. So Quieter, less friction, and nicer to the overall geometry in operation.

Sorry about the first answer, my disconnect.
John
Jesco Reient
icon_bump.gif

I'd like to thank everybody that sent in Rocker Arms to be clearanced. All those that have been received have now been shipped out and I'm starting to collect another group to go through the shop.
John
Java2570
John - got the clearanced rockers yesterday and they are really well done, thank you!
914Sixer
Got mine Sat, look excellent.
euro911
agree.gif Nice work.

Add some cut-to-size chromoly push rods to the mix and you've got a winning combination in your valve train aktion035.gif
Jesco Reient
I'm glad you guys got your rockers, I enjoyed doing the work for you guys.
John
Jesco Reient
I have received a couple of inquiries regarding am I still clearancing rockers. Yes I am unfortunately I don't currently have any cores in stock. However, if you have 1.7 Rockers and want them clearanced the price has gone up to $100.00 per set supplied. The price had to increase due to the fact they are so hard they eat carbide faster than I initially thought. I am also still align boring TYPE IV cases. The Bus market has picked up and I now do more of those than 914 cases.

John
McMark
John, I found something that might help. Next time we chat, remind me to let you in on the secret and see what you think. wink.gif
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 6 2017, 12:37 PM) *

John, I found something that might help. Next time we chat, remind me to let you in on the secret and see what you think. wink.gif

Mark,
I'll be calling you later today.
John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.