Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taillight Reflector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedmster
What is the best product to use to restore the taillight reflectors? Most of the chrome like finish has come off.

IPB Image

gifted914
Hi, Had same problem so I have tried chrome spray but will probably change bulbs to LED ones with inbuilt reflector.
TheCabinetmaker
I've used the chrome paint with good results for a quick fix.
jmmotorsports
eastwood has some rattle can paint that works pretty good

jerry
bluhun
They can be re-chromed, but its expensive, like $175 each. See m&m metalizing
mepstein
Get some new/used ones.
Mr Pharmacist
I used aluminium tape similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Aluminum...=item4ac3dca867

I found it more reflective than spray paint
Speedmster
QUOTE(gifted914 @ Apr 1 2014, 05:39 PM) *

Hi, Had same problem so I have tried chrome spray but will probably change bulbs to LED ones with inbuilt reflector.

We just got LED taillights from Spoke and have a set of taillight buckets setup just for the LED boards. We want to keep the original taillight assemblies with the OEM setup. Why? We want to be able to go stock quick if we want too.

QUOTE(bluhun @ Apr 2 2014, 02:22 AM) *

They can be re-chromed, but its expensive, like $175 each. See m&m metalizing

Ouch!!! Vacuum chrome metalizing looks awesome, but the price tag is pretty high. I'm going to look in our area and see if there are any companies near us that do it.

I looked at the Eastwood and Krylon products, but everywhere I look I see quite a few negative feedbacks.

GeorgeRud
I found some chrome tape at a truck accessory site that I was able to cut and tape into the bucket. Seems to be OK, but I imagine that having it rechromed would be the best way. If there was a way to do this in a home environment, I think there would be plenty of call for this service as all these reflectors are showing their age. I wonder how they were originally finished.
Speedmster
This is a little off topic, but is in the tail light area. As we have the tail light buckets out we see a few small rust spots behind the buckets on the body. (Who knew there would be rust on a 914, right?) Just surface rust. The paint is original. I thoughts are to clean off the surface rust it these spots with a primal tool, apply some POR15, and use touch up paint. Is this the same route you would take?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Speedmster
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 2 2014, 01:42 PM) *

I found some chrome tape at a truck accessory site that I was able to cut and tape into the bucket. Seems to be OK, but I imagine that having it rechromed would be the best way. If there was a way to do this in a home environment, I think there would be plenty of call for this service as all these reflectors are showing their age. I wonder how they were originally finished.

I too, we would like to know how they were originally manufactured from the factory.
Speedmster
Well, I got some "chrome" rattle can from the auto parts store and refinished the reflectors. I think they turned out pretty good. Got them put back together today and back in the car.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

mepstein
Looks great
bandjoey
Now add the third brake light. I also used chrome spray paint and it works great.
02loftsmoor
I've been looking at those Motorcycle, add on brake light, they strobe for a few seconds before coming on solid.
bandjoey
Search here. Multiple threads on various set ups.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.