Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-installing side markers after flaring fenders.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
c12croft
Are the side markers typically left off because they can't be fitted properly, or is it just the wrong look?
Johny Blackstain
Only example I know of is the 916 owned by George @ AA. Never cared for the look of the warts myself.
siverson
> because they can't be fitted properly, or is it just the wrong look

Yes and yes.

-Steve

boxstr
They look like a big orange wart, that needs to be removed.
Craig at CAMP
Elliot Cannon
I don't think side markers were designed. I believe they were mandated. dry.gif
iamchappy
If you have to have them i think these look better.
bulitt
agree.gif nice.

I am on the fence. Do I want to weld up the holes or cut into the freshly painted flares Scotty just did for me. Was thinking would need to add a half moon type spacer under the leading edge to bring the light base flush with the flare? They do serve a function and a legal requirement.

Scott S did it a decade ago...

IPB Image
somd914
Wrong look regardless if skinny or flared...

And fitment would be a PITA with flares.
mepstein
Leave them off a flared car!
CptTripps
QUOTE(c12croft @ Apr 1 2014, 10:46 PM) *

Are the side markers typically left off because they can't be fitted properly, or is it just the wrong look?

Yes and Yes...

QUOTE(boxstr @ Apr 2 2014, 12:35 AM) *

They look like a big orange wart, that needs to be removed.

Yes

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 2 2014, 12:58 AM) *

I don't think side markers were designed. I believe they were mandated. dry.gif

Yes

I think you'll find less than a handfull that have put them back on, and I'd hazard a guess that everyone generally leaves them off because they're both impractical AND ugly.
boxsterfan
Leave them off. Or go with the smaller ones pictured in the orange car above.

When I redo my car (will remain as a narrow body), I will be taking those ugly warts off and also closing up the antenna hole.
JRust
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 2 2014, 07:55 AM) *

Leave them off. Or go with the smaller ones pictured in the orange car above.

agree.gif to all above. Any flared car they look horrible on. I do like the smaller one added between the flair & the door. They do serve a purpose & any light that will help our 914's be seen is a good thing.
c12croft
The World has spoken: 13.gif
Scott S
QUOTE(bulitt @ Apr 1 2014, 11:58 PM) *

agree.gif nice.

I am on the fence. Do I want to weld up the holes or cut into the freshly painted flares Scotty just did for me. Was thinking would need to add a half moon type spacer under the leading edge to bring the light base flush with the flare? They do serve a function and a legal requirement.

Scott S did it a decade ago...

IPB Image

On my car, the flange of the bolt on flares did not fully cover the marker light holes. After I had everything lined up, I simply cut the flare to allow it to go around the light before they were painted. I wanted them gone, but at the time, I did not want to have to repaint both front fenders (the paint on my car was over a year old before I added the flares).
siverson
I just took them off my 914-6 which is otherwise nearly 100% stock.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2018919

-Steve
pdlightning
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 1 2014, 09:05 PM) *

If you have to have them i think these look better.

I. Love your car. Is this Tangerine , I think E21?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.