Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing gears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I wanted 1st to be usable and there to be a reasonable step to 2nd. That required a CA for 1st and a H for second. Normally the H means buying a $1300 shaft and the gear is another pile of money. I took a different option.

Carquip built me a shaft with the original gear machined off and a H welded on. The good Doctor did the assembly for me ( I think there was some swearing). I've included a photo of the original shaft and the modified one so you can see the difference. I hope to be telling you about the difference based on the feeling in the car seat soon.

Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
Sooooo......48 Days 'til what happens?
PanelBilly
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Apr 2 2014, 05:05 AM) *

Until my Rotary club has their fishing event for kids under 12???????
Evil Older Brother
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 2 2014, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Apr 2 2014, 05:05 AM) *

Until my Rotary club has their fishing event for kids under 12???????

Won't it be expensive to use that new transmission as a fishing weight?
Dr Evil
smile.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 2 2014, 05:20 PM) *

smile.gif

You can smile now that its done
Dr Evil
Not yet. I need to ship you those gaskets you asked for. I will do that tomorrow. PM me the address again to make sure I dont sent it to the wrong guy wink.gif
naro914
I am very interested in the results here, especially 2nd gear. I've been trying to find a way to make 2nd taller... In a lot of our autocrosses, I run up against the rev limiter in 2nd, but its too short of a time to shift to 3rd, then back to second.

Oh...and how much all this costs!
Joe Ricard
Interesting about hesitant to go to 3rd gear. Of course I always did the ZD flip for 3rd and always found my self rowing 2-3-2-3 on bigger courses without any issues. And my rev limiter was 7 grand.
naro914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 3 2014, 11:19 AM) *

Interesting about hesitant to go to 3rd gear. Of course I always did the ZD flip for 3rd and always found my self rowing 2-3-2-3 on bigger courses without any issues. And my rev limiter was 7 grand.

its more the times when being in 3rd would be for like 2 seconds...then quickly back to second.
Rev limiter at 7k would help too....that's the next 'upgrade' when Huey's engine is rebuilt. new rod bolts, springs, etc to strengthen it up and up the rev limiter. right now..the engine is VERY tired, poor compression, leaks everywhere, but starts and runs every time.
r_towle
Bob,,

You can do this simply, one of two ways.
Call CarQuip and get him to sell you a 904 mainshaft.
John (RIP) at Otto's venice also made a run of these a while back.
Try them also, no clue who is in charge now, or if they have any left.

OR
Call Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing.
He can make you a shaft from an old stock one.
It will have a welded gear on it, so you need to think about it.
He might add some insight into your specific issues also.

Rich
Dr Evil
Hard to beat the Carquip price for welded shaft with gear. A 904 is only superior in its ability to be changed. You can make one box work on several courses, fine tune, etc.

I just acquired a 904 shaft and some interesting gears. One is an E second.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.