Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valance Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_teener
Recently I painted the rear valance on my car after being off for a while. I used a 3 M undercoating paint and I am pleased with the stipple pattern and look. Problem is that dirt .......or say car wax has a tendency to embed in it and stick.......You guys have any suggestions on say a satin clear coat that could be sprayed on and keep the matt look?

Here is a photo.......sorry about the quality......the light was a little dead.

IClick to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Can always try it and report back your experience. It's not all that difficult to redo if it isn't working out.
TheCabinetmaker
clear coat will not smooth out the texture.
914_teener
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 2 2014, 11:49 AM) *

clear coat will not smooth out the texture.

I wasn't looking to smooth out the texture. I am happy with the texture. It almost perfectly matches the rear bumper top for finish. I was looking to make the surface less co-hesive so that dirt wouldn't adhere to it.

I think I'll take up George's suggestion since I have only done the rear so far.

Any other suggestions are welcome as always.
JRust
Adding a clear may give it more of a gloss look than a flat black. Probably won't know until you give it a try. At least just doing the Valance is easy enough to redo if it doesn't turn out how you like. Post the pics here when your done biggrin.gif
ThePaintedMan
Baby powder to soak up some of the stickiness? Then wash the loose stuff off.

Maybe try it on a test piece first.

The 3M stuff is basically a rubberized coating that has a tack to it if I remember. You could also try a product called Jet Wet. It'll make it really glossy at first but it will soon wear down with a wash and sunlight, but it might make it slick enough to keep stuff from sticking to it.
914_teener
Thanks guys....will do.

I try both stuff and see what happens.

The 3M is rubberized....so it is kinda tacky. Looks good though.
Emmel
With what my knowledge is with Porsche and the textures they use a brand called Wurth Sks and was used for 914's . You can buy the satin clear coat which needs a catalyst so it will handle everyday road abuse. And needs to be shot out of a spray gun . That's the easiest way to go about without using a matting paste in regular gloss clear coats because of all of the sprayout needed to get the exact sheen you are looking for, I donot recommend spray can satin clear coat because after 6 months to a year it's going to chaulk up and look horrid from the UV rays of the sun. Going to your local paint supplier and asking is always a good start too.
Emmel
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 2 2014, 03:00 PM) *

Thanks guys....will do.

I try both stuff and see what happens.

The 3M is rubberized....so it is kinda tacky. Looks good though.

Only problem I see with the tackiness of the undercoating is if you put a satin clear on it the contents underneath will make the hardened clear flake off eventually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.