ONLY IN AMERICA,

Though this would be of interest here , way outta my budget though

Seems like it should have a 3.2 six or Subaru/izubu sti power for the $
but damn nice car

I'm partial though cause my first car was a Baja convertible piratenanner.gif

What do you think this thing cost to build / restore ??? beer3.gif

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4400106101.html

Shout out to the cheap !

The most deadliest weapon in the world is a marine and his rifle .
This is my rifle , this is my gun ...

Dr Evil
That may not be out of line on the price. Nice car. I wonder what Nates Porsche wagon would go for.
JawjaPorsche
I am sure he has 25K in the car. Sure would like to ride in one time.

I noticed he has a 4 tach not the 6 tach. I am sure he can red line real easy.

You would think he could spell Porsche. He misspelled it five times.
thelogo
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Apr 2 2014, 05:25 PM) *

I am sure he has 25K in the car. Sure would like to ride in one time.

So it is worth the price of admission
yeahmag
Seems pretty sweet to me. Too bad it's a '70. I don't like most VW's after about '66.
balljoint
I will be asking more than $50k for my BUG. See the build thread here in the garage.
aircooledtechguy
This guy sounds like he is trying to get most of his money back on it. Nice car, but it's basically an otherwise $7K -$9K bug with a FAT fan shrouded type-4 motor in it and a 901. Both are VERY basic conversions in the VW world. I wouldn't pay that much ($25K) for nearly any beetle and certainly not a 70s model. barf.gif

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 2 2014, 05:18 PM) *

I wonder what Nates Porsche wagon would go for.

I'm planning to put agreed value insurance on mine when it's back on the road for about $25K. Not that I have anything close to that in it, but rather to cover the many, hundreds if not thousands of hours I'll have in it. I always joke that I should have just bought a 911. This way, if anything happens to it, I can. lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
After you are older, and finished with the wagon, I want to buy it off of you wink.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 2 2014, 11:10 PM) *

After you are older, and finished with the wagon, I want to buy it off of you wink.gif

There is going to be a Line, I might as well get in it too! biggrin.gif
dcheek
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Apr 2 2014, 06:35 PM) *

This guy sounds like he is trying to get most of his money back on it. Nice car, but it's basically an otherwise $7K -$9K bug with a FAT fan shrouded type-4 motor in it and a 901. Both are VERY basic conversions in the VW world. I wouldn't pay that much ($25K) for nearly any beetle and certainly not a 70s model. barf.gif

I'm planning to put agreed value insurance on mine when it's back on the road for about $25K. Not that I have anything close to that in it, but rather to cover the many, hundreds if not thousands of hours I'll have in it. I always joke that I should have just bought a 911. This way, if anything happens to it, I can. lol-2.gif

Nate,

FYI good original or restored early Beetles are going for $30,000 - $50,000. A buddy of mine just sold his '55 for 32K in 1 week. I agree the post '67 models don't command that kind of money but, if you want a nice early Bug, you're going to have to pony it up. So, I guess you're never going to own one. Just like I'm never going to own a 914-6 because I would never pay over 25K for one. LOL.

Dave
Chris H.
Although I usually prefer a pre-'68, I like this thing. At least he says "OBO" and not "I spent $$$$$ and will be getting every penny back." Never know how it looks in person but I'd love to drive it! It's probably good I don't live closer to where most of the surviving air-cooled VW's are. There'd be a hoarding show about me.
rhodyguy
what looks like a set of homemade heat exchangers are interesting. i wonder if they produce any real heat?
boxsterfan
Nice looking BUG really. If he stripped her down and did all the body work (rust, etc..) as we do on our 914's then he is definitely into for $25K.

I'd offer $10K maybe $12K max. As he states, you do essentially have a brand new car.
r_towle
when hot rodding a bug, for my personal tastes, I would turn an older bug into a drag car.

I think adding a well built motor to a car that cannot handle is not a good investment.

Now the super beetles that the whole "German Look" is based upon is actually on my project list...

They have done some cool stuff with the suspension, steering and even gone so far as a full IRS front end weld on system....
Those are cool cars and worth the money.

That car specifically is overpriced.
maybe 15k...motor and car.
Otherwise, buy a beetle, buy a motor from Fat , and bolt it in.
Save some money.

rich
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(dcheek @ Apr 3 2014, 05:22 AM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Apr 2 2014, 06:35 PM) *

Nate,

FYI good original or restored early Beetles are going for $30,000 - $50,000. A buddy of mine just sold his '55 for 32K in 1 week. I agree the post '67 models don't command that kind of money but, if you want a nice early Bug, you're going to have to pony it up. So, I guess you're never going to own one. Just like I'm never going to own a 914-6 because I would never pay over 25K for one. LOL.

Dave

I understand exactly what you are saying and you're right on both counts. But you're comparing apples to oranges. This car is neither a desirable model like a '55 (oval window) AND it's highly modified from stock. Both of which really hurt the price. Yes, a stock restored early car fetches big $$$, but I really can't see this one going for more than $15K-$17K to the right owner. If the guy who built it paid a shop even 5-10 years ago to do the work, he would easily have $30K-$40K into a build, but we all know how that goes when you sell a car you paid to have built. . .

It's a nice car for what it is and I'm sure the next owner will be VERY happy with it. They will surely get a deal!!

I would never buy a Beetle anyway. They have plenty of head room and plenty of leg room. But the 3" missing out of each side make for an uncomfortable drive to me. Side to side, they are just too narrow for my taste and come off as claustrophobic. I'll stick with my Squarsche, my split bus, or a Ghia (if I ever own another).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.