Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: separating brake hoses from hard lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
Hi!

I'm trying to replace the old brake hoses with new ones, but the fittings on the ends of the old ones are "frozen" onto the hard lines. I've been hitting them with penetrating oil for the past few days, and am hoping that does the trick . . . but if it doesn't then what? I definitely don't want to booger up the hard lines.

I know that "wiggling" the nut (loosen, then tighten, then loosen, rinse repeat) will sometimes help; heard that tapping might too--but if these don't work, can I use heat? I'm thinking maybe a small propane torch with the flame directed on rubber hoses' fittings and a heat sink on the hard line.

I'd really appreciate any insights, BTDTs, pitfalls, watch-outs, etc.

Thanks in advance!

All the best,

Steve A-
mepstein
first try to tighten a bit, then loosen. Crusty's advice from a while ago.
IanS
are you using flare nut wrenches for the brake line nuts? I find these let you exert a lot more force without fear of rounding off the brake nut with a standard open-ended wrench.
914_teener
I was talking to Eric from PMB about this.....cut off the hose so that you can get a socket on the nut.

Mine weren't so bad as your's sound.

Good luck
moldygreg
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 2 2014, 07:58 PM) *

I was talking to Eric from PMB about this.....cut off the hose so that you can get a socket on the nut.

Good luck

^+1

We just did this job and replaced old brake hoses. I soaked with SiliKroil. I hadn't used SiliKroil until I read Rob Siegel's Diary of a Hack Mechanic ( a great read) who swears by it on his chapter in "stuckness".

As mentioned flared wrench and socket works well with the rear hoses.

anderssj
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Yes, I'm using flare nut wrenches, but I hadn't thought of cutting the hose to slip a socket onto the fittings--good one. I'll look for Silikroil too--along with Siegel's book. I could use a good read right now.

Thanks again,

Steve A-
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 2 2014, 10:58 PM) *

Good luck

agree.gif this is what i had to do on several of mine, since you are replacing them anyway- this happens due to the hydophilic nature(attracting moisture out of the air) of the brake fluid that leaks around the fitting, and causes rust. several of mine were rusted solid. there was no getting them apart. same with my e-brake cable and the clevis pin that held it to the caliper- one solid piece of rust, had to cut them and replace them.
the brake lines are not that bad price-wise, i just replaced all the hard lines and hoses in the rear, just to be safe, and the the shorter hard lines in front that go from the hoses to the calipers. along with the hoses. Eric Shea at PMB has all of these available- IMHO it is one of the most important things you can do to an old car that has not been properly maintained- brakes and brake lines/hoses!!!

PJW
stugray
If you break any hard lines, I have a whole bag of spares.
anderssj
Thanks again for the advice and offers. I'll let you know how this turns out (it may be a while though--I don't get the time on the 914 that I want/need sad.gif )
rgalla9146
QUOTE(anderssj @ Apr 3 2014, 10:38 AM) *

Thanks again for the advice and offers. I'll let you know how this turns out (it may be a while though--I don't get the time on the 914 that I want/need sad.gif )

After you've gotten the hose fitting off the tubing then use a bit of heat to free the nut on the tube.
Also put some anti-seize on the inside of the nut and on the threads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.