Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Complete axle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
malcolm2
I have driven my new engine about 2000 miles and I am hearing a CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK as I make a left hand turn. I am afraid it must be a CV joint.

I noticed it as I was coasting down a hill and made the turn. Either the engine drowns out the noise or it does not CLUNK with a load on the axle.

Anyway, I figured I might buy 1 or even 2 rebuild-able axles. That way I could drive a bit longer while I rebuild.

Anyone have one or a set?

Clark

Mblizzard
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 3 2014, 12:27 PM) *

I have driven my new engine about 2000 miles and I am hearing a CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK as I make a left hand turn. I am afraid it must be a CV joint.

I noticed it as I was coasting down a hill and made the turn. Either the engine drowns out the noise or it does not CLUNK with a load on the axle.

Anyway, I figured I might buy 1 or even 2 rebuild-able axles. That way I could drive a bit longer while I rebuild.

Anyone have one or a set?

Clark

I will bring you two this weekend.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Apr 3 2014, 03:51 PM) *

Did you rebuild the set on your car now?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 3 2014, 02:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Apr 3 2014, 03:51 PM) *

Did you rebuild the set on your car now?

No but that is why I am actually bringing you 4! shades.gif
malcolm2
So, I am doing some research on the "re-building". Van Svenson has a nice video on You Tube. But all he really does is take it apart and clean and inspect it.

With my CLUNKING, I am guessing that I will find a worn cage or balls or something, right?

If I do, I will need replacement parts. Any one know if they are available?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 3 2014, 05:27 PM) *

So, I am doing some research on the "re-building". Van Svenson has a nice video on You Tube. But all he really does is take it apart and clean and inspect it.

With my CLUNKING, I am guessing that I will find a worn cage or balls or something, right?

I think Eric at PMB has them. I have two that will work but would have to be drilled for the retaining pin. I have one ready to go.
dangrouche
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 3 2014, 05:27 PM) *

the CV assemblies are NLA. Yes you can tear the axles down, and most of the time, everything is available (axle, boots, washer) and rebuildable if its boot replacement and repacking with new grease. But the CV assemblies are all matched to one another. I suppose you can "harvest" and build a new assembly, matching good ball bearings and trying to put it into a decent cage. The key thing to be looking for is the condition of the CV races. I have a handful of beatup races with a metal chip in it. then you are back to square one. What you need to be able to see are the races of the used axles, which actually requires the disassembly and bathing of the components in solvent to see the condition of the races and parts. its a crapshoot. I know that European Auto Salvage Yard in Emeryville CA has tons of axles for sale, but shipping is what will get you. Last I heard a couple of years ago, they were $50 an axle. If I had a bad one, I could go back and those guys would likely give me a replacement.
NORD

I have a pair of axle's. They have the stub axle still attached and all four CV. I will ship to you for $150. If you would like pictures let me know.
etcmss
was the CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK from loose bolts? the bolts at the trans can come loose and do this.
malcolm2
QUOTE(etcmss @ Apr 4 2014, 07:27 AM) *

was the CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK from loose bolts? the bolts at the trans can come loose and do this.

I had the car jacked up last weekend and checked all 16 CV joint bolts (triple square). They were tight. Another thing I have noticed is the CLUNK CLUNK does not happen until the car is warmed up and has been driven a bit.

So that leads me to grease in the joint. Cold grease is stiffer, correct? Once it warms and starts to flow it gets loose and I hear the CLUNKS on the left hand turns.

This guy (eric the car guy) gives some advice that I thought about myself. He says not to worry so much about the CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK until it is heard more frequently and while going straight. But at that point you need to FIX asap. Of course he is dealing with parts you get down at the dealer or at AutoZone. We are not. beer.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-ofMoWsr0
malcolm2
QUOTE(NORD @ Apr 4 2014, 12:20 AM) *

I have a pair of axle's. They have the stub axle still attached and all four CV. I will ship to you for $150. If you would like pictures let me know.

Blizzard says he has some cores for me to go thru that I can get this weekend. So I will keep your offer in mind.

Thanks,

Clark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.