Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weight of a T-4 Long Block ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
I have no way of weighing a T-4 motor for a shipping quote. Does anybody have a pretty good idea what a 2.0L T-4 long block with all the following components mounted:

All the cooling tins
Fan housing with fan,
Alternator & dizzy
Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate assembly

(Yes, it has 1.7L heads, but it's a 2.0L)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
McMark
I use 350lbs for a fully crated motor.
balljoint
I can lift one up and carry it out the door on to a trailer. Even when Mark Henry (or whatever he is calling himself these days) is pretending to lift the other side. biggrin.gif So they can't be that heavy.
euro911
Yeah, Dave, but you Canucks weigh everything with some weird foreign metric measurement system, or bushels of beans or something, so it really isn't as heavy as you think it is poke.gif

I estimated 350 with a pallet crate, so I guess I'll continue with that #. Thanks Mark beerchug.gif
mepstein
200lbs in the condition shown.
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 4 2014, 12:45 AM) *

I use 350lbs for a fully crated motor.

agree.gif
stugray

Either I am a lot stronger than I think or 200 is closer to the truth than 350.

My teenage son & I picked one up and put it on the engine stand with barely a grunt.
175 lbs for each of us sounds a little much when bending over and lifting off the ground (I am an old fart with recent dual hernia surgery).
r_towle
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 4 2014, 09:57 AM) *

My teenage son & I picked one up and put it on the engine stand with barely a grunt.
175 lbs for each of us sounds a little much when bending over and lifting off the ground (I am an old fart with recent dual hernia surgery).

well, let us know what a crate weighs.

Having shipped a few, and I suspect Mark has also, its 350 crated.

rich
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 4 2014, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 4 2014, 09:57 AM) *

well, let us know what a crate weighs.

Having shipped a few, and I suspect Mark has also, its 350 crated.

rich

200 as shown (that's what he asked). 250 with exhaust. 325 with trans. I don't know how much a crate weighs. Jake Raby would know exact numbers.
McMark
Depends on how well you build the crate. I use 2x4s and 1/2" plywood. I can stand on the crate after I'm done. I don't want to deal with a busted engine.
euro911
This will be a substantial crate. Pallet bottom, plywood box on top, probably an easy 40~50 # by itself. I guess I should go buy a good fishing scale to hang from my cherry picker to weigh motors confused24.gif
r_towle
Junk yard, scrap yard, stone yard etc. all have truck scales.
Weight empty truck...then weigh truck with motor in the back.
euro911
The motor sale isn't cast in stone - trying to assist the potential buyer with shipping quotes. I'll look into the places you mentioned idea.gif

Don't want to build a crate iffin I don't need to sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif

Thanks ...
euro911
Ended up being 250 pounds in the crate (bought a shipping scale)

Thanks for all the input beerchug.gif
bulitt
How much did the crate weigh? av-943.gif
stugray
Ended up being 250 pounds in the crate

So much for believing "facts" posted on the internet :-)
I Knew 350 was unreasonable....
Jake Raby
On a skid the engine will weigh in around 360 dressed as shown.
r_towle
QUOTE(stugray @ May 9 2014, 10:06 AM) *

Ended up being 250 pounds in the crate

So much for believing "facts" posted on the internet :-)
I Knew 350 was unreasonable....

Stu,

sometimes being argumentative is just not helpful.

How many motors have you shipped?

none of us are guessing...

I have shipped one 356 motor strapped to a pallet, wrapped in plastic wrap.
It had dents and scratches when it arrived in CA.
I will never do that again.

I build a protective box now, that can take a hit from a forklift, and can survive a fall off the back of a truck.
not worth shipping it cheap if you have to deal with the hassle of damage when it arrives.

stugray

My point is that you cannot believe anything on the internet anymore.

Right above we have someone that says "It weighs 250" that JUST WEIGHED IT.

And then someone else says it weighs 350. Which is it?
I trust the "bought a shipping scale" more than my guess, but my guess was right.

My "gut" (literally) told me it does not weigh 350 because I picked one up and put it on the stand.
r_towle
QUOTE(stugray @ May 9 2014, 01:24 PM) *

My point is that you cannot believe anything on the internet anymore.

Right above we have someone that says "It weighs 250" that JUST WEIGHED IT.

And then someone else says it weighs 350. Which is it?
I trust the "bought a shipping scale" more than my guess, but my guess was right.

My "gut" (literally) told me it does not weigh 350 because I picked one up and put it on the stand.

again, on an appropriate shipping crate, 350.
not a guess, been weighed and paid many times.

I think the lowest I got it was 325, fully dressed motor and the thinnest crate I had the courage to build.

bulitt
Aboot ten yrs ago we moved to NC. My oldest daughter was in HS. One night she had a panic attack because her jeans were tight (no shit). Living in an apartment while our house was being built we had no scale. So off to the store at 930pm.
My wife put about 8 scales on the floor and stepped on everyone of them to find the lowest reading. The weights read anywhere from 100 to 112lbs (after being zeroed).
Or quite a % margin of error.

So does the scale have a cert sticker on it?

Oh, we bought the lowest reading scale and everyone lived happily ever after. biggrin.gif
What you do for your kids...
stugray
again, on an appropriate shipping crate, 350

So you just proved my point.
We have two conflicting statements made on the same thread

Ended up being 250 pounds in the crate (bought a shipping scale)

ALL I WAS SAYING is that you cannot believe everything you read on the internet.

So you must have measured in imperial pounds, and Euro911 is using metric pounds....
r_towle
you just love an argument....that is plain to see.

Call it what you want, see how much it weighs on the shippers scale.

euro911
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 9 2014, 03:38 AM) *
How much did the crate weigh? av-943.gif
Rather than building another crate from a pallet, I ended up using a crate that I had a 1.8L long block in.

Click to view attachment

I didn't get the scale until after I packed the motor into the crate, so I don't know what either weighed by itself - just the total confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

I'll weigh the 1.8L long block at some point in time ...

mepstein
I stand by my estimates.
euro911
I didn't intend to create a heated debate stirthepot.gif ... just wanted a fairly accurate estimate so the buyer could get an accurate shipping cost unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.