Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early vs. Late Flasher Units?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Spent way too long troubleshooting an odd flasher problem today. Everything worked fine, but when the eBrake was on it would buzz instead of flash. Checked all the wires, lights, switches and it had a new flasher unit installed. Tried a different new flasher unit from my 71 where it works just fine. Nothing made any difference. Until I got an old flasher unit from a 75 and installed it. Now everything works fine.

Anyone know of a difference? The PET shows two versions, early and late, BUT the part numbers are the same. blink.gif
balljoint
There are some good examples of young and old flashers in the sandbox.
balljoint
PM received. Never mind. hide.gif
McMark
After some more research, it seems flasher relays were the same on 914 and 911 from 1969-1984. confused24.gif
boxsterfan
Perhaps a broken doofilator? smoke.gif
eitnurg
See this thread on Pelican

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...tml#post5366907
r_towle
Have you looked at the bulb difference between the years?

From what I recall a flasher is a switch that gets heated up and then switches.
The heat is based upon whatever draw is on that circuit, so maybe the draw is different from one year to the next.

Also, I don't recall a flashing light for the ebrake on my early cars, but I do know it exists on the later models....

That does not mean its supposed to be there and I just don't have it....cause I find it annoying.

The later cars had it hooked into the seat belt system also...so that flasher may do many things....

rich
rick 918-S
Maybe a poor female connection. You messed with it long enough to accidentally fix it? Weird...
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 4 2014, 10:53 AM) *

Maybe a poor female connection. You messed with it long enough to accidentally fix it? Weird...

its always blamed on the female connection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.