Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoring Fuchs - what the heck is this clear coat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downerman
So I have striped the black from the rims. Took a long time and several attacks but I got it all off. Had to use some sand paper and even a small knife to get into some spots but I did it. Now what's left is this weird coating. It reminds me of a clear coat meets calcified tough stuff that is SUPER fine and embeded on the surface of the rim and really hard to get off. You can see some areas where the paint remover did get it but it's tiny areas. More remover does NADA. I bet I'm not the first guy to hit this stuff. Thought about a reduced muriatic acid solution to see but don't have a test subject and don't want to ruin the rim. Trying to do this myself as I'm sure a commercial polisher could get through this stuff in a heart beat.

Any ideas?

Dave
brant
I've done 20 or so.

Use oven cleaner with lye. The yellow can of heavy duty easy off.
It will take two coats. Let each soak and use a green scruby pad with a hose. It will burn so rubber gloves are an option
scotty b
the original clear is a hard anodizing. Like Brant said. Easy Off oven cleaner does the trick
Downerman
Oh man you guys rule. I was worried about this. Love simplicity and doing things yourself. thank you so much.

Dave
r_towle
Rubber gloves are NOT an option......trust me on this.
Get a good set of heavy duty ones, and wear goggles too.

Shit is nasty and stings.
76-914
biggrin.gif Another CSOB in the fold. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.