Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: 68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan 307 4-door
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
I came across a barn find 68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan 307 4-door that hasn't seen the light of day in many, many years.

It seems all operational, fired up and ran, 70k miles and i thought it was kinda cool.

Are these worth anything?
idea.gif

It looks just like the one in the picture below, same color, but this picture is *not* the actual car, just one i found that looks the same.

rick 918-S
Too many doors to be big money but a rust free front clip and some of the other things that transfer onto the two door models are gold. That front clip could bring serious coin.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 6 2014, 02:53 PM) *
Too many doors to be big money but a rust free front clip and some of the other things that transfer onto the two door models are gold. That front clip could bring serious coin.

The car has collected a nice layer of dust but otherwise it looks to be all original.

I wouldn't cut it up, i'd rather drive it ...
w00t.gif
shoguneagle
Drive it!! That is an original car from the pictures and the 307 engine is a good one. Anything that original should be driven and protected as much as possible.

Steve
Chris H.
agree.gif Clean it up and drive it for a bit! What's the asking price?

Rick is right on the 4-door thing, but there is an emerging market for low-mileage original cars regardless of what they are. That thing should be very reliable once you get the brakes checked and various fluids changed. My grandfather had one exactly like it but gold - bought it new and kept it 10 years - which was a looong time back then.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 6 2014, 03:16 PM) *
What's the asking price?

I just made an offer on a house and the car is sitting in the garage.

If my offer is accepted, then the car comes with the house.
biggrin.gif
Chris H.
Perfect! Good luck! Hope you get them both. beerchug.gif

Johny Blackstain
Daily driver?! It's a hog- even with a 307 & a Rochester 2 bbl it gets 13 to 18 mpg @ best. If you can get gas @ 50 cents/gal with no alcohol in it go for it. Good luck on the house though smile.gif
914GT
Looks like about same color as my 68 Malibu.

IPB Image
76-914
I had a gold '68 too but it was a 350.
orangecrate
Sweet> Drive it . Enjoy it! Teener parts chaser.
rick 918-S
I had a 69 396 SS 4 sp. Car. Loved it! That will make a great fun car with low cost repairs and maintenance. If it has the original 307 c.i. V8 it isn't much of an engine. It's like the 1.7. or 1.8 type IV. Low hp but fairly dependable.
DBCooper
Uh oh. Not sure if it's the same car, but one that sure looks like it is for sale in East Oakland right now for $2800.

IPB Image

Craigslist link: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4404834170.html

Can't see the licence plate in your photo, but you can in some of the other Craigslist photos, so you can check.

SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Apr 6 2014, 09:37 PM) *
Can't see the licence plate in your photo, but you can in some of the other Craigslist photos, so you can check.

That's because my photo is not of the actual car as clearly stated in my post ...
rolleyes.gif
DBCooper
So is it the same car? If not at least you know the price range, they're asking $2800.

messix

Uh oh. Not sure if it's the same car, but one that sure looks like it is for sale in East Oakland right now for $2800.

IPB Image

Craigslist link: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4404834170.html

you need to go get that one !!! it's a hardtop , pretty rare for a 4 door !
carr914
Stretch it & make a Limo!
ClayPerrine
If you want to sell it, Let me know. My father is big in the Vintage Chevy club, and a low mileage, unmolested 68 like that would be popular with them.

Chris H.
I saw that Craigslist car just trying to find a 4 door '68 Chevelle for sale... Very few on the market. That CL car is a 350 so don't think it's the same one. Not a bad looking car for a 4-door really.

And BTW 914GT - your Chevelle is incredible. Love the look. Takes me back in time.
wndsnd
My question is can you make them handle halfway decent with new tech suspension pieces, or are they boats no matter what you do to them.

My buddy has a two door with a Hurst and big tires and Cragar Mags but it drives like Stromberg.

The shift is big and notchy, clutch is heavy, steering wanders, car seems to bounce and come down in a different attitude. I guess I need to drive a decent muscle car.

John
Big Len
Chevy 383 crate motor, Tremec 5 speed trans, Wilwood brakes, posi rear. Keep stock wheels and tires for the ultimate sleeper.
zambezi
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 7 2014, 07:20 PM) *

My question is can you make them handle halfway decent with new tech suspension pieces, or are they boats no matter what you do to them.

My buddy has a two door with a Hurst and big tires and Cragar Mags but it drives like Stromberg.

The shift is big and notchy, clutch is heavy, steering wanders, car seems to bounce and come down in a different attitude. I guess I need to drive a decent muscle car.

John

Yes they can be made to handle and drive well. Google Pro-Tour which is the name given to a modern driving vintage muscle car. It aint cheep though!!!
wndsnd
Thanks. I did not know about this. Too bad he is too cheap to do it to his car. He just likes to be seen in it not really drive it.

carr914
QUOTE(zambezi @ Apr 7 2014, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 7 2014, 07:20 PM) *

John

Yes they can be made to handle and drive well. Google Pro-Tour which is the name given to a modern driving vintage muscle car. It aint cheep though!!!

Yes, they can be made to handle well. I sell Pro-Touring Suspension set-ups for Chevelles & early Camaros - business is very good!

Once you get the suspension done ( I sell a whole kit for Chevelles - Tubular A-Arms, Rear Control Arms, Springs, Shocks etc for $2200) then the heavy steering needs to be addressed. A Jeep Steering Box is the Cheap but effective solution.
monkeyboy
Yes, a Pro Touring setup can make the car handle extremely well.

My dad has a 67 Ford Fairlane that's been completely done with Autocross suspension. It's a blast to drive and surprises a lot of people.

Let's just say that the kind of guys who tend to buy new Corvettes don't like to be driven around in a corner by a 40+ year old car. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2014, 09:42 PM) *

That's because my photo is not of the actual car as clearly stated in my post ...
rolleyes.gif

Come on Andy, you don't REALLY believe people actually READ posts before they reply, do you?

The Cap'n
Chris H.
Malibuuuuyaaaahhhh.....

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.