Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB drip tray.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
zipedadoo
Looking for a drip try for a 1972.

I am fixing up the car for my kid to drive to high school. So I don't want to spend $100 for this. Thought someone might have one with a few cracks or otherwise in less than perfect shape they would part with for little $$$$.

Thanks for the help.
Tom_T
A word of advice & caution - unless you want to do rust repairs on the firewall & elsewhere in the engine bay - do not get a cracked tray, nor one of the early ones without the rib.

I'd suggest getting a repro late tray with the stiffening ribs (keeps it from sagging over time due to heat in bay) - either a good condition used with no cracks or bite the bullet for a new repro from Mikey914, AA, etc.

The old early unreinforced trays would sag & sent a waterfall down onto the firewall & heat/sound pad to rust at that location, and a cracked one sends it wherever the crack points it.

Don't save a few bucks to cause $1000s in rust repair! Yeah, I know, AZ is desert, but this is coming up on your monsoon season, so unless your kid will keep it garaged in every rain & never get caught out when one pops up - save yourself the grief!

My 73 had the factory early tray which sagged & the heat pad's sisal filling nicely held the moisture against the firewall to eat thru a row of rust perforations along the wall to engine tray seam. dry.gif

JM2C! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 6 2014, 04:34 PM) *

A word of advice & caution - unless you want to do rust repairs on the firewall & elsewhere in the engine bay - do not get a cracked tray, nor one of the early ones without the rib.

I'd suggest getting a repro late tray with the stiffening ribs (keeps it from sagging over time due to heat in bay) - either a good condition used with no cracks or bite the bullet for a new repro from Mikey914, AA, etc.

The old early unreinforced trays would sag & sent a waterfall down onto the firewall & heat/sound pad to rust at that location, and a cracked one sends it wherever the crack points it.

Don't save a few bucks to cause $1000s in rust repair! Yeah, I know, AZ is desert, but this is coming up on your monsoon season, so unless your kid will keep it garaged in every rain & never get caught out when one pops up - save yourself the grief!

My 73 had the factory early tray which sagged & the heat pad's sisal filling nicely held the moisture against the firewall to eat thru a row of rust perforations along the wall to engine tray seam. dry.gif

JM2C! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

If you don't find one locally I have one in great shape for &50 plus shipping. This is exactlyly what I paid for it. It turns out that I already had one hidden away in the garage so I don't need an extra. I have no idea how much shipping would be. The trays are pretty light but bulky to ship.
bulitt
Automotion sells them new for 89$

Rain tray
bdstone914
Does anyone know how to fit a late tray to an early lid? I thought the mounting points were different.

Bruce
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 6 2014, 10:05 PM) *

Does anyone know how to fit a late tray to an early lid? I thought the mounting points were different.

Bruce

idea.gif good question. I thought all lids are were the same confused24.gif

I have an early lid in the shop / man cave. I will post in here in the garage area tomorrow on what I find out.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(bulitt @ Apr 6 2014, 07:48 PM) *

Automotion sells them new for 89$

Rain tray

For $89 I'd just buy a new one!
orthobiz
Or for 10 dollars plus shipping, you could buy an early tray from me. You will have to clean up the metal attachment clips and pop rivet them in place. Only one of the mounting areas is cracked and is shown in my photos. With shipping it should be around 25 or 30 dollars. This tray is way better than most of the ones on eBay.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=227785

Paul
zipedadoo
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Apr 7 2014, 03:31 AM) *

Or for 10 dollars plus shipping, you could buy an early tray from me. You will have to clean up the metal attachment clips and pop rivet them in place. Only one of the mounting areas is cracked and is shown in my photos. With shipping it should be around 25 or 30 dollars. This tray is way better than most of the ones on eBay.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=227785

Paul

Cool. That's what I'm looking for...Thanks.

PM sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.