Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little rust help.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
callplatinum
Hey guys and gals.

I bought a 75 about a year ago, I've yet to do anything to it besides drive it, wash it, fix some electrical issues, and mess with the timing.

As for the timing, I was getting a little backfire and missing. The car always started quickly once fuel got into the carbs.

I've tried timing it via the manual, I know the car has a after market HP cam, not sure if it effects timing. I'd think not.

As of todays drive I have the timing set by small adjustments set nicely just by idle and smoothness at 3700ish rpms. No backfire today.

But open to suggestions.

As for rust.

The car was red, red remains under the hood and trucks.

The guy who owned it before me painted it yellow years ago.

Other than a few minor areas, appears to be surface I have a bit around the seem of the front trunk close at the corners near the hinges.

So tell me, where should I look for the most prone areas, My battery box area is fantastic. Floor boards great! Floor of trunks where still original paint nothing!

So here is my deal..

I figured I'd give the car a year, to just enjoy and drive, then see how I like it.

Well, it has been a year and I love the car more today then ever.

It really looks nice, up close far from perfect.

I really want to go though the car, hate the bits of red still sometimes seen when the doors are open, or under the hood and trucks.

I'm not a body man, or a welder and I don't want to get involved with a car with hidden issues ( rust )

So... Thanks for the help.. I can post pics of areas requested for inspection.

IPB Image

IPB Image

You Tube My 1975

orangecrate
Ah I'd kill for those wheels!!!!! Ha ha . but black in the center. If your hell hole's not rotted , put an Optima in that beauty so it doesn't start to. Washingtonians don't tan, they rust !
callplatinum
took off the rocker panels, crawled around under the car, behind seats under carpets, trunks etc.

Battery area is solid, guessing it might have been repaired.

Pass jack plate has rust, but the rest is solid.
Driver jack plate has been grind-ed off.

A little rust along the corners of the front hood seem.

Do I look to be in good shape?

Firewall is solid, the lower corner below the battery is solid. rear trunk is solid.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

bulitt
Yes, you have rust.
Maybe you could go to a local 914 event and one of the guys with more experience
could take a look.
callplatinum
Anyone around Snohomish/Everett/Woodinville/MillCreek/Bothell WA state, ( Car is in clearview south of the town of Snohomish. WA STATE ) area want to have a beer and look my car over let me know.

Trying to figure out what I want to do with the car.
Tom
Welcome to the PNW group. Keep your eyes out for a Teener Tuesday, ( a tread about guys getting together to BS and look at each other's cars), and show up with your car. There will be lots of guys to give you very good advise.
Tom
914werke
Your only a few mins from Messix or I.
welcome.png

If you around this WE drop me a line I can provide some experienced eyes and
a suggestion or two. biggrin.gif

bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.