Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 big bore
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rehellek
Hi guys
I will not bang on too much about the track day I had with a few 914 pals at abingdon airfield in Oxfordshire last Friday, although it was great to meet new people and new cars , I sadly limped home in my 1.8!!!! Fan belt came off damaging the fan and now the engine has to come out. I have been thinking of a big bore kit for a while and I know I have options.
I am aware I could go for @ 96mm slip in which will take me up to 1911cc , or 2056 with a 2 litre crank. Am I correct?

Or I could put a 78.4 mm crank in which would take me to 2270 cc , now that is more like it. I do have twin dellortos on the car which is good and I am aware I would need to re-jet those, no prob.

Is there anything else I would have to do ? Would this be a reliable conversion? Would I need to change cam?

I am keen to do this and do it correctly without having to sell my mother to fund it!!!

Look forward to your very welcome advice.

Hope you are all enjoying your 914s

David

type47
QUOTE(Rehellek @ Apr 7 2014, 02:35 AM) *

Would I need to change cam?

welcome.png Do you know what cam is in the engine now? If carbs were put on replacing the FI system w/o changing the cam, it's generally thought that that leaves some performance on the table. If you want to stick w/carbs shades.gif have a cam that will optimize carb performance. Personally, I wouldn't install a stroker cam but that's because of my limited mechanical ability. 2L crank OK ...
McMark
Just swap the pistons and cylinders to 96s if you wanna keep it cheap. Otherwise you're looking at a full rebuild and if that's the case, go 2056 or 2270 depending on where your fund are. Don't forget getting 2.0 heads. wink.gif
madmax914
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the cylinders are in good shape can't he hone them out to 96mm? That way you can invest in some really nice quality pistons and rings.
johannes
2.0 crank also means 2.0 rods ... and the bill grows up ...
1.8 heads are OK for a 2056.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.