Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Extreme" rear engine Porsche..... I think
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dcecc1968
No affiliation, but I think this pushes the limits of rear engine... as well as many other limits. Too bad the owner couldn't throw in a few additional major manufacturer's parts, then it would be truly a "rare find".

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4408906734.html
blackmoon
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Apr 7 2014, 05:30 AM) *

No affiliation, but I think this pushes the limits of rear engine... as well as many other limits. Too bad the owner couldn't throw in a few additional major manufacturer's parts, then it would be truly a "rare find".

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4408906734.html

WTF.gif To rare to be seen on the road
scotty b
Not sure what you guys are getting at. It's a dune buggy. They were all odd and made from VW, Porsche, corvair parts rolleyes.gif I'm pretty sure this is one of the ones the guy I used to work for made. If it is, there are only a handful ( less than 10 ) originally. Like it or not, it is rare confused24.gif If you think this one is ugly, you really should go to the dune buggy archives and look at some of the stromberg.gif that were manufactured barf.gif
scotty b
I would suggest looking at this on an empty stomach barf.gif

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/decision-.../leafs/BuggyId/
messix
I'd wheel it!
Some of those t bucket models were following the t bucket fad at the time.

The corvette model looks to be a good choice for a street ride
Dr Evil
When you insult ugly, redneck dune buggies, you insult Scotty and his people mad.gif
SirAndy
I'll save them here because that Ad won't last ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

smile.gif
gandalf_025
When I think of "exterme" rear engine set ups. There was a guy where I grew up that had a 1963 Corvair with a 283 hanging out the back. I think he had to put a boat cam in the V8 to make it turn the right way. It would pull Wheelies. Can't imagine it was pleasant to drive otherwise ?
Dr Evil
They usually change those to mid engine when they go V8. I bet that was nice to drive.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 7 2014, 10:01 AM) *

When you insult ugly, redneck dune buggies, you insult Scotty and his people mad.gif

dry.gif so sayeth the bald, fat, motorcycle hoarding, beer swilling, gear oil stinking, Pennsyltucky living " doktur " poke.gif

notice I left your grill out of that mellow.gif
dcecc1968
No insult intended to Scotty B, I've admired his skill on this forum from both a bodywork standpoint and giving it back to Dr Evil when he gets a chance.

This buggy just made me think:
1. about an old Johnny Cash song, "One Piece at a Time"
2. doesn't it need a wheeley bar with engine cantilevered that far back, and
3. What would Dr. Evil need to do to build a transmission when the engine is facing backwards like this?

popcorn[1].gif
gandalf_025
The mid engine versions didn't come around till later.
This was in 65 or so.. He figured out a way to hang the 283 right out the back and
put some wheelie casters on it. I was a kid at the time and only saw it a few times.
Some sort of metal flake green paint and I was told he cut a hole in the floor so he
could see where he was going when the front end was up in the air.
I was into Corvair's in my late teens and tried to find the car then, but no luck.

A lot of people knew of it but nobody knew where it ended up.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 7 2014, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 7 2014, 10:01 AM) *

dry.gif so sayeth the bald, fat, motorcycle hoarding, beer swilling, gear oil stinking, Pennsyltucky living " doktur " poke.gif

notice I left your grill out of that mellow.gif

Hey, thanks man biggrin.gif thumb3d.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Apr 7 2014, 03:10 PM) *

No insult intended to Scotty B, I've admired his skill on this forum from both a bodywork standpoint and giving it back to Dr Evil when he gets a chance.

3. What would Dr. Evil need to do to build a transmission when the engine is facing backwards like this?

popcorn[1].gif

Just flip the differential. Simple smile.gif
scotty b
No thanks. No more projects for me. Bill H needs something to do though smile.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 7 2014, 11:34 AM) *

I would suggest looking at this on an empty stomach barf.gif

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/decision-.../leafs/BuggyId/

Thanks for the link, ass! chair.gif
The Empi Sportster is now a thing I want.

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Apr 7 2014, 11:10 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

No worries. It takes a lot more than a comment about a not so attractive dune buggy to insult me. Just because I worked for the guy doesn't mean I approved of everything he did. Much like most of my friends mellow.gif
Jake Raby
That exhaust pains me to even look at... Its costing at least 25HP and a ton more from the lack of tuning that its creating.

Classic.
hot_shoe914
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4406643530.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.