Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Off at Streets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
yeahmag
Had an off at Streets on Sunday. Not real sure what happened yet, but it would appear either I had a tire go down or a sudden change in rear toe that caused the car to come flying around at the end of the straight right before the chicane.

Most of the damage is cosmetic and I'm working with Bruce Stone to get some panels headed my way. Hay bails are surprisingly hard at speed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzKHNto3DnM
yeahmag
Click to view attachment
yeahmag
Click to view attachment
yeahmag
Click to view attachment
yeahmag
This is one of the presumed "guilty" mechanical issues. I personally haven't seen a tire come off the bead without gravel in the tire/rim.

Click to view attachment
audio_file
Ooof, terrible. sad.gif WTF.gif
Sorry to see, seemed like you had a good smooth run going too...
Beautiful car, much luck on the repairs!
yeahmag
Yeah... You can see about 1 second before the spin that I had just turned the steering wheel from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock to start setting up for the chicane.

The other thing worth noting is at around 3:39 the car "lurches" to the left entering the banked, right hand turn and I had to correct for it. I remembered saying that was weird, but it held the right hand turn the rest of the way without drama.
ndfrigi
Thank God you did'nt get hurt or injured yourself and just the car was the only thing damaged!
yeahmag
Agreed. I think I need to decide what I want to do with the car after I fix it. If I'm going to just do autocross and street driving (no more safety mods), track days (cage at the least), or sell it and try and finally get a 911 that's bee a dream of mine for 25 years.

It's possible that if the bails weren't there I would have gone up and over and embankment an flipped the car.
ThePaintedMan
sad.gif Yikes Aaron. Glad you're okay. Panels can be replaced but you can't.
yeahmag
George,

True, but I always like to say, "People heal, cars don't." In jest of course...
andys
Aaron,

All I saw was a cloud of dust, then there you were, off the track adjacent to the hay bales facing traffic. I thought "oh no", but thankfully you weren't hurt; it looked worse than the fixable damage I saw later in the pits. Sorry you day ended as it did, but at least you're ok.

Andys
Woody
Damn it. Glad you're okay. Definitely looks like something let go.
yeahmag
Yeah. The damage wouldn't be such a big deal if Karman didn't weld the panels to the car!

QUOTE(andys @ Apr 7 2014, 10:44 AM) *

Aaron,

All I saw was a cloud of dust, then there you were, off the track adjacent to the hay bales facing traffic. I thought "oh no", but thankfully you weren't hurt; it looked worse than the fixable damage I saw later in the pits. Sorry you day ended as it did, but at least you're ok.

Andys

campbellcj
Aaron,

It was good meeting you yesterday but I wish the circumstances had been better. I'll have to watch the video again later on a proper screen but on my phone it did seem like the car 'snapped' just before the off. We are all glad that you were not hurt and that your car wasn't hurt worse!

jim_hoyland
Glad to hear you walked away from this; strange what happened. Good that it didn't happen on the freeway or some mountain road.
Vegas914
Glad to see your ok ,did you ever determine what exactly when wrong ?
yeahmag
Not yet. I have several people coming by this week to take a look and help me figure that out.
Sorry to hear...good luck with the rebuild.
Woody
Probably want to take some alignment readings to see if anything got tweaked.
yeahmag
Nate Hall, long time racer, mechanic, and good friend came by to assess the car last night and found that my poly bushings on the inner ear side are shot. When the car is on the ground you can't feel it, but up in the air it's quite pronounced. The passenger side is especially bad.

His opinion after watching the video and feeling the bushings is a perfect storm event. Bad bushings, off the gas, cold tires.

Not 100% convinced yet, but that's all we found. Not sure how the car would come around there in that way. Think freeway off ramp kind of situation, which I've done countless times during testing.

At some point I'll have to stop stressing over this and just get on with it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.