Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 car alarms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
This is an off-shoot of a couple threads earlier this month to specifically address car alarms and their use in a 914.

Anybody have one? Recommend one specifically for a 914? How much do they cost? What are the features and benefits of one over the other? You get the idea.
fuch toy
I had one in the Rocket.....it was integrated into the radio. Once the face palte was off, it gave me ten seconds and then set itself. It was a pain generator fed thru the speakers and amps.

IT WAS LOUD>>>>>
serge914
I don't like alarm systems; you always look stupid when they come on at the worse place.

I am planning a combination of obstacles to decourage the robbers: He will need to find a key for the kill switch, activate the other switch for the fuel pump in the dash, use the push button for the starter and figure out where is first gear because there is no template on the shift knob.

Of course all this is no big deal if someone realy want to steal it but I never leave her alone in bad neighberhood anyway.
Bleyseng
of course you are assuming the robbers are not loading stealing your car with a car dolly! My car doesn't have a CD player so what's there to steal?
Geoff
914werke
Think JOY RIDE!
StratPlayer
Yes, running a Viper system in my car
airsix
The best car alarm is a garage. If you can't garage it, I'd get an alarm that has a proximity detector to protect the interior when the top is off.

I'm personally jaded towards siren alarms. I want an alarm that triggers a gas gun instead of a siren (just kidding). A gas gun is a noise-maker that detonates propane or other combustible in a chamber using a sparkplug or similar ignitor. They are used in old warplanes for movies and airshows to simulate the sound of machine-gun fire. I think the sound of machine-gun fire would be an effective theft deterent. Would also get you in a lot of hot water with the neighbors and the police though.

-Ben M.
Kerrys914
I Have one and it works great !!!

The cool blinking LED helps me fit in with the ricers smile.gif The alarm works well with the power locks too.. smile.gif
Cheers
Kerry
Maine914
My resto project for some reason had a Viper car alarm. The fans and radio didn't work because of the way alarm was wired. The brakes leaked, the carbs were backfiring like an SOB. The springs are shot. I had to rip the interior out. If someone managed to steal it, you could have found them by the backfiring or wrapped around a stop sign.
But, hey, just in case, the car alarm sure worked really well. Why? Who knows?
Even though the alarm was about the only thing that worked almost perfectly, I took the alarm out to try to get the other electricals put back together. I don't know if I'll put it back. Depends on the wiring. More likely it will end up on my 914 Xmas tree next year with all the other old parts I plan to spray silver and use as ornaments.
Joe Bob
My current daily driver has a silent alarm with a pager......the back up is my .357 S and W....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.