Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Structural Integrity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seventyfive914
Hello All. Progress on the race car has been very slow lately due to the dearly departed holiday season, and the blissful little syndrome I like to call "Poverty" that follows it. Yet I'm still compelled to peruse e-bay regardless of whether or not I actually have any loot left to bid on stuff for the 914. So while I was scoping out the offerings there, I spied what appears to be a very nicely prepped race car in the 20 grandish range. I noticed they had removed the foreward bulkhead to allow room for an aftermarket, race legal fuel cell. My question is, won't the removal of that bulkhead between the strut towers compromise the structural integrity of the tub and contribute to a reduction in torsional rigidity? Also regarding the fuel cell in the e-bay racer, by it's position being moved ahead of it's stock location out to the general area of the spare well, I would think would wreck the 50/50 weight distribution as well. This question segues into, "who manufactures a fuel cell that will install in the stock location, and is race legal? Regards, -K-
Mueller
QUOTE (Seventyfive914 @ Jan 11 2005, 04:29 PM)
Hello All. Progress on the race car has been very slow lately due to the dearly departed holiday season, and the blissful little syndrome I like to call "Poverty" that follows it. Yet I'm still compelled to peruse e-bay regardless of whether or not I actually have any loot left to bid on stuff for the 914. So while I was scoping out the offerings there, I spied what appears to be a very nicely prepped race car in the 20 grandish range. I noticed they had removed the foreward bulkhead to allow room for an aftermarket, race legal fuel cell. My question is, won't the removal of that bulkhead between the strut towers compromise the structural integrity of the tub and contribute to a reduction in torsional rigidity? Also regarding the fuel cell in the e-bay racer, by it's position being moved ahead of it's stock location out to the general area of the spare well, I would think would wreck the 50/50 weight distribution as well. This question segues into, "who manufactures a fuel cell that will install in the stock location, and is race legal? Regards, -K-

by cutting that bulkhead, it would be similar to a factory 911....just add a brace to the shock towers and it'll be close to original

only one fuel cell that I know of for stock location*....Patrick Motorsports sells them, I think they are in the $1300 range.....

*unless you went with a much smaller universal tank that would hold just a few gallons
ein 6er
K,

guess i missed your first posts, welcome!! patrick motor sports sells the stock tank fuel cell.

BTW, i grew up in new bern.

doug
Jeroen
got a link for the e-bay car?
smrz914
I'm under the impression that 914s do not have a 50/50 weight distribution. It's heavier in the back. it's like 48/53. Moving the gas tank forward would help the balance. Probably not by a whole lot and the balance would change as the fuel level dropped.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.